Dry Mani

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mani-fique!

Reaction score
With clients who have trouble keeping polish on apparantly its advised that you don't soak their nails in water. So doing a dry manicure can anyone advise on how to really soften the cuticles so that its easy to use the cuticle pushie, without using heated mitts?

Ta - yes its me again - Tamm :oops:

Hi Tamm,

Do you not want to use heated mitts because you dont have them or is it a time thing?

In lieu of heated mitts you could apply solar oil and cuticle eraser and let that soak in with the hands say wrapped in plastic and then in to a towel. This is not ideal as it is better with warmth. If you do this and leave the oil and eraser on for the length of the service it should have made a slight difference. It will not make a huge difference to really hard dry cuticles after only one treatment. If you have a client like this then ensure they have products for using at home on a daily basis and come for a manicure weekly or bi-weekly at the very least.

Save your pennies and buy the Wheeties. I have the electric heated mitts and they are a bit of a pain with all the cables lying about.

I use cuticle eraser and it works great to soften the cuticles then just a little work with a cuticle pusher.

I read this somewhere else and tried it on my neice who can hardly keep polish on for more the 5 hours. Before polishing lightly apply solor oil to the nails and wipe excess off with a lint free pad, apply base coat and polish, top coat. Sometimes the nails are too dry to keep the polish on.

Suzanne R said:
I use cuticle eraser and it works great to soften the cuticles then just a little work with a cuticle pusher.

I read this somewhere else and tried it on my neice who can hardly keep polish on for more the 5 hours. Before polishing lightly apply solor oil to the nails and wipe excess off with a lint free pad, apply base coat and polish, top coat. Sometimes the nails are too dry to keep the polish on.

Thats a new one for me - that sometimes nails are too dry to keep polish on. I'm surprised that using solar oil (even though you wipe excess off) does not hinder the application of the enamel! But if it works then that sounds great. I find that using scrubfresh dries my nails out too much and I've noticed that it contains acetone so its a definate no no for dry, flaky, problem nails I think. I will try really massaging in the cuticle eraser and solar oil just wiping off excess before putting enamel on to see if it works for me.

I'm glad that using the eraser and oil is enough without having to soak the nails as I have found with even my own nails that because they absorb the water and then dry out and go flaky that the enamel does not stay on very well. I didn't want to use the heated mitts in my basic manicure so that I can differentiate between a basic and luxury. Thats why I wanted to know how you could soften the cuticles without using them.

Thanks for your help guys. very useful.

By the way :oops: is there anyway that you can prevent the nails from absorbing water? I find my nails go translucent with a tiny bit of white left at the very tips! It looks awful! Apart from the obvious like don't go near water which is a bit difficult with showers and stuff I'm curious if there is something you can do to prevent it
:D

Tamm

naturalnails said:
Hi Tamm,

Do you not want to use heated mitts because you dont have them or is it a time thing?

Save your pennies and buy the Wheeties. I have the electric heated mitts and they are a bit of a pain with all the cables lying about.

I've heard alot about these wheeties but unfortunately I've bought the electric mitts already! :( Oh well I'll just have to wait until I've some pennies!! Not using mitts was for the basic mani.

Tamm

TC said:
By the way :oops: is there anyway that you can prevent the nails from absorbing water? I find my nails go translucent with a tiny bit of white left at the very tips! It looks awful! Apart from the obvious like don't go near water which is a bit difficult with showers and stuff I'm curious if there is something you can do to prevent it
:D

Tamm

Hi Tamm,

do you keep your nails varnished all the time? If you do, this will go some way to protecting them - the varnish works as a waterproof barrier. If you cant have them varnished then lightly buff in some Solar Oil.

On your heated mitts thing - I use my mitts in my basic manicure but only for 5 mins - my luxury manicure involves 15 mins or an alternative treatment.

I do find that I need something on my nails to hold the layers together. If don't then I find that they start breaking and flaking all over the place!

I will try the buffing the solar oil in. Stupid question I know but what do you use to buff in - a proper little buffer or do you use file type buffer?

The heated mitts for 5 mins sounds a good idea. I will do that as my luxury is the Creative Spa manicure and my basic concentrates more on the cuticles rather than including hand massages and treatments so there will still be a big difference between the two!

Thanks for your help Fiona :D

Tamm

I read your post with interest regarding applying Solar Oil and wiping off excess on truly dry nail plates :idea: We spend most of the time telling people to swipe with Scrubfresh to remove natural oil and then basecoat, colour etc.... so that colour will adhere better (to natural nails anyway). It never occurred to me that nail plates can be so dry that it would have the same effect as being too oily - loss of enamel - interesting!!! :huh: :study:

TC said:
I will try the buffing the solar oil in. Stupid question I know but what do you use to buff in - a proper little buffer or do you use file type buffer?

Tamm

The only stupid questions Tamm are the ones you dont ask but always wish you did LOL.

For oil buffing, I use Sand Turtles - the purple ones, they seem to last for ages.

LOL :D :D :D
Thanks for that! I'm always worried about asking soooo many questions! Here's another one for you - What on earth are sand turtles! I've never heard of those and where can I get them? :huh:
:shock: :D

Tamm

Sorry Tamm,

Sand Turtles are sponge buffers with a hard plastic backing - I normally buy them from NSI - if you look on their website www.nsinails.co.uk you will see what they look like. You could also use the very smooth side of the Koala buffer if you have them anyway.

If you are going to Excel next week you will get them there - I think there are other companies who do them - they are made by Soft Touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back