Dry nails and cuticles

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tropix

Reaction score
What is the best nail oil for my cuticles have used solar oil for years but this winter they are still very dry and my nails the same using hand sanitizers so much not helping

Solar oil is probably the best on the market, it wins awards every year. Maybe invest in some Almond Hydrating Lotion too as a boost

CND Cuticle Eraser, used once or twice daily, is also very good for dry, ragged cuticles.

It doesnt get any better than CND Solar oil.

If you are overly washing your hands, that may be the cause of your dry hands and brittle nails. Hands and skin naturally produce oils that prevents water from escaping the surface of your skin.

Solar Oil works by blocking water from evaporating from the nails. By trapping water inside the nails, the nails become somewhat stronger and less brittle.

Hand sanitizers may also be a culprit for dry hands since they have alcohol that evaporites and takes the oil and water from your skin with it.

Hand sanitisers are a nightmare for drying the skin & cuticles out! Follow the other ladies advice regarding solar oil & Cuticle eraser. I also recommend using a scrub (Sanctuary do a lovely hand & Cuticle Scrub). I usually use a little bit before I go to bed at night especially after a long day of washing hands & cleaning then plenty of oil & hand cream.

Thanks for that will take and try all your advice

CND Cuticle Eraser, used once or twice daily, is also very good for dry, ragged cuticles.

Cuticle eraser is a corrosive. You don't need or would want to use it everyday. Left on the skin and nails can damage it.

Also, cuticles is not a bad thing. Its main job is to protect the nail from infections. So it will be fine when left on the natural nail unless you are putting something over the nails.

Dead skin tags/flap around the nails is also mistaken for cuticles. They are not the same thing. The loose skin tag around the nails is living skin. It becomes torn and jagged when you use your hand alot. If its a loose skin tag that cause hangnail, you can nip it. But the long skin tag that runs around the nail, you have to leave it as its also a protector of the nail.

Using Solar oil will help make things that are dry look better.

Cuticle eraser is a corrosive. You don't need or would want to use it everyday. Left on the skin and nails can damage it.

Also, cuticles is not a bad thing. Its main job is to protect the nail from infections. So it will be fine when left on the natural nail unless you are putting something over the nails.

Dead skin tags/flap around the nails is also mistaken for cuticles. They are not the same thing. The loose skin tag around the nails is living skin. It becomes torn and jagged when you use your hand alot. If its a loose skin tag that cause hangnail, you can nip it. But the long skin tag that runs around the nail, you have to leave it as its also a protector of the nail.

Using Solar oil will help make things that are dry look better.

I think you are confusing CND Cuticle Eraser with CND Cuticle Away. Cuticle Away is considered to be a professional product and does contain the corrosive sodium hydroxide (lye or caustic soda). Cuticle Away is to be used as part of a manicure service and washed away with soap and water. Cuticle Eraser is not a professional product and is made with several Alpha Hydroxy Acids, common and gentle skin exfoliants, as well as skin conditioners/moisturizers. It is designed for daily use and not to be washed off. It will not damage living tissue like the eponychium, but will help remove the dead cuticle on the nail plate and surrounding skin. It is recommended to be used in conjunction with CND Solar Oil.

Last edited:
I think you are confusing CND Cuticle Eraser with CND Cuticle Away. Cuticle Away is considered to be a professional product and does contain the corrosive sodium hydroxide (lye or caustic soda). Cuticle Away is to be used as part of a manicure service and washed away with soap and water. Cuticle Eraser is not a professional product and is made with several Alpha Hydroxy Acids, common and gentle skin exfoliants, as well as skin conditioners/moisturizers. It is designed for daily use and not to be washed off. It will not damage living tissue like the eponychium, but will help remove the dead cuticle on the nail plate and surrounding skin. It is recommended to be used in conjunction with CND Solar Oil.

Ah yea you'r right. Good looking out. 👍

CND makes some amazing products as always.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back