Dull gel polish, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahb1909

Reaction score
Hello everybody
I'm having a bit of a nightmare with my gel .. suddenly started to look dull.
I'm really meticulous with my prep ..
dry cuticle prep .. shape.. scrubfresh .. thin basecoat .. 30 secs cure .. etc .. (I'm using CND Shellac)
Then after top coat wipe with alcohol wipe ... this is when the dulling appears. I've just today changed top coat to Gellux to see if it's the top coat but not tried it yet.
I'm not using a cnd lamp .. just a basic nail lamp. I haven't got a huge client base .. just started up mobile after I moved to Sheffield a couple of years ago (finding it tough to build up tho!) so hence I don't want or can't be spending a fortune on trial and errors!
Just wondering if it could be bulbs in lamp need changing?
Any advice greatly appreciated X

Try new bulbs in your lamp x

Dullness can also be caused by applying cuticle oil before the top coat has properly cooled

Its funny because the most important step you did wrong. You cannot cure CND Shellac without the CND LED lamp. Its that simple.

Gels will become hard when placed in any led lamp, but if its not the correct lamp, it wont cure properly. Thus, you will get all kinds of problems, dullness being one.

The lamps arn't that expensive. They are only around $70. It doesn't make sense to not buy one since your entire business depends on it.

Last edited:
Are you using a different bit of lint free wipe for each nail when you remove the tacky layer. If not this can cause dulling of the top coat as you end up smearing some of the tacky layer back onto the next nail?

After topcoating & curing Try using cotton wool with a small amount of cleanser and really ‘squeak’ the nail.

Most dullness issues are due to curing problems. You mention that you are doing 30 second cures, but you also mention bulbs. Since bulbs are only in UV lamps, and a 30 second cure is for LED lamps, I suspect you are using the wrong cure times. The UV lamp cure time for CND Shellac is 2 mins. The other issue is the lamp. Tuan is correct; you need to be using the CND lamp. CND Shellac is especially persnickety about using the proper lamp. Gel polishes harden at only a 55% cure, so it often appears properly cured when it is not. Also remember that most insurance won't cover you if you are not following the manufacturer's instructions, particularly the lamp.

Thank you for all your replies
Sorry I meant 30 second base cure then 2 mins for colour and top coat. It's been gorgeous and glossy for ages .. only been last couple of sets that it's dulled so I'm going to change the bulbs.
I've had Shellac done and seen it done in salons before I started out doing it and a lot didn't have a cnd lamp ..

What is everybody's view on this? Is it absolutely essential to have it? What's the difference between theirs and a regular led or uv lamp?

I’d suggest letting the top coat cool a little more before you wipe the nails, literally give it 20secs or so then wipe, I didn’t think that uv lamps were different just LED? But if that doesn’t help it might be light bulbs.

Thank you for all your replies
Sorry I meant 30 second base cure then 2 mins for colour and top coat. It's been gorgeous and glossy for ages .. only been last couple of sets that it's dulled so I'm going to change the bulbs.
I've had Shellac done and seen it done in salons before I started out doing it and a lot didn't have a cnd lamp ..

What is everybody's view on this? Is it absolutely essential to have it? What's the difference between theirs and a regular led or uv lamp?

I will repeat myself as you still don't understand. Gels will become hard in any LED light, giving you the impression that they are cured. They are not. Because you can only cure cnd gel properly with a cnd lamp.

LED lamp cures a lot faster than the UV lamp.

The two biggest problems within the nail industry are over filing of the nail and curing gels improperly. You don't have to buff or file the nail to create adhesion, and to cure gels properly, you must use the lamp of that brand. There is just no other way.

I will repeat myself as you still don't understand. Gels will become hard in any LED light, giving you the impression that they are cured. They are not. Because you can only cure cnd gel properly with a cnd lamp.

LED lamp cures a lot faster than the UV lamp.

The two biggest problems within the nail industry are over filing of the nail and curing gels improperly. You don't have to buff or file the nail to create adhesion, and to cure gels properly, you must use the lamp of that brand. There is just no other way.

Yes Tuan I fully understand what you are saying so there is no need to be rude ... I thought this site and forums was for assisting people and asking advice??

My issue is not whether to have an led lamp or not ... my gels have been perfect until very recently ... with my uv. I do not need lecturing and certainly not replied to in that tone.

Thank you to everybody else tho for your replies x

Yes Tuan I fully understand what you are
saying so there is no need to be rude ... I thought this site and forums was for assisting people and asking advice??

My issue is not whether to have an led lamp or not ... . I do not need lecturing and certainly not replied to in that tone.

Thank you to everybody else tho for your replies x

I was being rude to help get the point across and not to disrespect you. As for lecturing, you are the one who created this thread asking for advice on your problem. When you got an answer, you call it lecturing. If anything, you are the one who is rude because you've blatantly disregarded anything I've said. That is understandable, because who am I, right?

But the problem is that I gave you an explanation for your gel problems. Im telling you that 1+1=2 but you keep replying back that its 3. Like wth, right? But really, the problem you are experiencing comes from the incorrect nail lamp. Gels all become hard when cured in a light, but its not properly cured if you are mismatching lamps. There is a difference, and that's all that it is. You just need to fix that and you're good to go.

Last thing, I promise you that if you invest the money to do things properly and follow manufacturer directions, you'll have a new sense of confidence in the services that you do..

Last edited:
I work in a salon that has CND lamps and non branded uv lamps. To be honest they both do exactly the same job and I’ve noticed no difference.

I work in a salon that has CND lamps and non branded uv lamps. To be honest they both do exactly the same job and I’ve noticed no difference.

Thats exactly the problem. You can't always see the difference. Therefore, most NT's will assume that its ok; its not. The gel isn't properly cured. That leads to many problems that isn't always so obvious. Dulling is just one symptom of incorrect curing.

Last edited:
I would have thought that just purely the fact that insurance won't cover you if you are not using the correct lamp stated by the system manufacturer would be enough to stop salons doing this.....but clearly not....cutting corners is never good when dealing with the health of clients.

If I did a body massage with my kitchen olive oil people would be shocked at my lack of professionalism, so why are people disregarding how to carry out gel polish services to industry standards?

Thats exactly the problem. You can't always see the difference. Therefore, most NT's will assume that its ok; its not. The gel isn't properly cured. That leads to many problems that isn't always so obvious. Dulling is just one symptom of incorrect curing.

I’ve been using both lamps for over 4 years and never experienced any problems. The only time I’ve experienced dull nails is when the bulbs need changed. Obviously CND will tell you buy their lamp as they want people to buy their products. We didn’t even use the branded lamps when I trained in college and I’m HND qualified.

I’ve been using both lamps for over 4 years and never experienced any problems. The only time I’ve experienced dull nails is when the bulbs need changed. Obviously CND will tell you buy their lamp as they want people to buy their products. We didn’t even use the branded lamps when I trained in college and I’m HND qualified.

To establish a bit of credibility to my words, Emma, I work very closely with the scientist who creates nail products. The information from him trumps all.

Curing with mismatched lamps has a few problems: (1.) Dulling (2.) Product break down, like chipping and peeling. (3.) Allergic reactions. Out of these, the allergic reaction is the most important one to worry about. Because you are using a mismatched lamp, you may not be fully curing these gels, and remember that gels become hard under any led lamp, giving you the impression that they properly cured. So you are over exposing yourself every time you work on gels. The dust and gel scraps you are touching may contain unreacted gels. Allergic reactions may happen overnight or it can take years of exposure to develop. So you are putting yourself and the client at risk over a lamp that cost $70(I also doubt you are using the correct basecoat). A busy NT can bring home over $5000 a month. And its not because CND wants you to buy their lamp. If anything, CND is the most trustworthy company when it comes to nail products.

As for the college and HND qualification, I wouldn't totally throw them under the bus, but if they say that you can cure gels with any lamp, then they are dead wrong about it. Most educators and NT's don't know much about the gel technology and thats perfectly fine. They just need to follow the simple directions and not deviate from it.

Last edited:
To establish a bit of credibility to my words, Emma, I work very closely with the scientist who creates nail products. The information from him trumps all.

Curing with mismatched lamps has a few problems: (1.) Dulling (2.) Product break down(chipping) (3.) Allergic reactions. Out of these, the allergic reaction is the most important one to worry about. Because you are using a mismatched lamp, you may not be fully curing these gels, and remember that gels become hard under any led lamp, giving you the impression that they properly cured. So you are over exposing yourself every time you work on gels. The dust and gel scraps you are touching may contain unreacted gels. Allergic reactions may happen overnight or it can take years of exposure to develop. So you are putting yourself and the client at risk over a lamp that cost $70. A busy NT can bring home over $5000 a month. And its not because CND wants you to buy their lamp. If anything, CND is the most trustworthy company when it comes to nail products.

As for the college and HND qualification, I wouldn't totally throw them under the bus, but if they say that you can cure gels with any lamp, then they are dead wrong about it. Most educators and NT's don't know much about the gel technology and thats perfectly fine. They just need to follow the simple directions and not deviate from it.

Oh so you work for the company that produces these lamps and the “scientist” that figures. This is why I rarely comment on here.

Are you fully trained and insured?
If you aren’t using the correct lamp, your product won’t be fully cured and so your clients are more likely to acquire an allergy to the product and if they sue you, your insurance won’t cover you because you haven’t followed the correct training instructions.

It really is that simple!

I was being rude to help get the point across and not to disrespect you. As for lecturing, you are the one who created this thread asking for advice on your problem. When you got an answer, you call it lecturing. If anything, you are the one who is rude because you've blatantly disregarded anything I've said. That is understandable, because who am I, right?

But the problem is that I gave you an explanation for your gel problems. Im telling you that 1+1=2 but you keep replying back that its 3. Like wth, right? But really, the problem you are experiencing comes from the incorrect nail lamp. Gels all become hard when cured in a light, but its not properly cured if you are mismatching lamps. There is a difference, and that's all that it is. You just need to fix that and you're good to go.

Last thing, I promise you that if you invest the money to do things properly and follow manufacturer directions, you'll have a new sense of confidence in the services that you do..

You don't need to be rude to get your point across. If a sales assistant was rude to you to get their point across in a store would you be happy? I would imagine your answer would be no, you can advise people without being rude. I understand you're trying to give the best advice but there are other ways of getting your point across. Rudeness can totally deter someone from asking questions in the future.

Latest posts

Back