Dust extraction.. can anyone advise me please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

An*Gel

Premium Geek
Reaction score
I mainly use a soak off gel and find when I soak off the nails and buff them, it creates a lot of dust, which is giving me a cough.

I have great ventilation in my room and used to wear a mask, but stopped as I find I get very hot a bothered, especially in the summer.

I really want to invest in some sort of unit to extract the dust and don't mind how much it costs, but I honestly just don't know where to start looking.

There have been a good few threads about this, but I can't find a website where I can buy something to do the job.... I want something that isn't too noisy.

I have myself totally paranoid that I'm going to get lung cancer... can anyone help me please?

I found this on ebay (I don't trust ebay and would rather order from a company)

What do you think.. is this the type of thing I'd need to get?

eBay.ie: ELECTROSTATIC IONIC AIR PURIFIER WITH DUST COLLECTOR (item 290446043054 end time 16-Aug-10 10:36:29 BST)

Also found this http://www.heavenfresh.ie/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=119

Last edited:
I have learnt that the problems with airfilters is that with dust they clog up fairly quick, and that the finest particles can still escape (ok maybe quality ones have thick enough filters, but not sure) I my country we are required by law to use only extraction units/punctual suction where the air/dust/particles/vapours whatever is released outside, you can buy these by searching for the same extraction as hairdressers, as they use the same (well they do i Denmark).
I'm so sorry I don't have ay websites, but maybe do a thread i the hairsection?? :hug:

I have learnt that the problems with airfilters is that with dust they clog up fairly quick, and that the finest particles can still escape (ok maybe quality ones have thick enough filters, but not sure) I my country we are required by law to use only extraction units/punctual suction where the air/dust/particles/vapours whatever is released outside, you can buy these by searching for the same extraction as hairdressers, as they use the same (well they do i Denmark).
I'm so sorry I don't have ay websites, but maybe do a thread i the hairsection?? :hug:

Oh thank you for that Karen. :hug:

I don't think hairdressers here or the UK use extraction... I've never seen them anyway, but I may be wrong.

I had a feeling that the type of things I was looking at wouldn't be enough to extract the dust..... I'll go back to wearing my mask until I can find a solution.

NSI do domething called a fuminator with filters that can be changed. check out nsinails websight xxx

Oh didn't realize that LOL, just assumed that they did because of the perm and color... Just shows how different everything is from country to country (and that you cannot assume)

On a note I believe i read once that Gigi had some sort of extraction in her salons, and I don't believe it was very tricky to do either, will try and find the thread :hug:

Thanks so much for the replies.... most appreciated :hug:

You are very welcome:hug: unfortunately I couldn't find the thread, as far as I can remember it was something like a bathroom ventilator thing, but so not sure:irked:

Hope you sort it out, masks are a pain IMO xx

You are very welcome:hug: unfortunately I couldn't find the thread, as far as I can remember it was something like a bathroom ventilator thing, but so not sure:irked:

Hope you sort it out, masks are a pain IMO xx

I found that thread.....http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/91523-extraction-ventilation-please-help.html

I wouldn't even know where to start with even finding an engineer though.

I found another thread with this product VIDEO : Nail Dust Collector, Nail Dust Remover by BAUUSA

Do any nail techs in the UK or Ireland have anything like this on their desks?.. it looks great and the exact thing that I think will do the trick.

Does anyone use one?

Hi Karen,
I can't really help you on this but I do remember a thread a while back I think it was vhunter was thinking of buying one I can't remember if she did or not but you might find the thread or she might let you know what came about!
sorry not much help lol

Thanks a mill... I'll have a look for that :hug:

There is a brand called Kayline that makes an excellant nail desk vent. They are very popular in Canada. Most the techs I have known use desk vents.

Purex make a wonderful desk that incorporates a very effective ventilation system. I think it is the most effective available.

The extraction and the light are in the same unit (just like the ones I had made for my salon 15 years ago) dust goes whizzing out right away from your breathing zone ... perfect. Most desks put the ventilation in the top of the desk where you want to put your towel .. so stupid really when you think about it.

See what people think of their Purex

Purex make a wonderful desk that incorporates a very effective ventilation system. I think it is the most effective available.

The extraction and the light are in the same unit (just like the ones I had made for my salon 15 years ago) dust goes whizzing out right away from your breathing zone ... perfect. Most desks put the ventilation in the top of the desk where you want to put your towel .. so stupid really when you think about it.

See what people think of their Purex

Thank you for this.... I DID have a look at the Purex desks myself, as I read a few threads where geeks were talking about them.

It's such a pity, as I have a beautiful custom made Nail Station :cry:

But the main thing that put me off, was I thought the extraction bit on the Purex desk WAS where I like to put my towel (right in the middle of the table)... am I being totally stupid??'.... It looks like the extraction bit is in the middle of the desk.

Sorry for being a pain about this (I'm even starting to annoy myself now :green:)

LOL you are not a pain:hug:

As far as I know the purex ones, the lamp is also a suction unit, so both the lamp and table top is extracting air.

And you can do what I did and make a 'box' on top of the table for people to rest their arms on. Will take a pic in a moment to show how I did mine, I'm sure it will work well with a purex too. (It's i my album in a few secs)
:hug:

Here's a link to the pic: http://www.salongeek.com/members/nolimitnails-albums-table+top.html Please don't bother about the unfinished net LOL looks bad, but just haven't finished it...

Last edited:
I totally get it now.. thank you so much!!

Love that long skinny lamp... did that come with the table?.. does that one extract dust?.. the one in the picture for purex didn't look like that, or is that just a standard lamp?

Love how you made the little box.. what a clever idea:idea:

Nope the skinny lamp is just a daylight lamp, I have a hairdressers suction to extract dust.

My table is actually not a nailtable, but it fit perfectly for it.

I was considering purex myself, but in Denmark it's not approven because the air isn't going outside, so had to fix my ow thing LOL...

Hi Karen, I found this. I can not remember where I got this leaflet about this filter system but I have been looking in to this due to me being asthmatic. This system seem to have taken off in a few salon Filtronic Filter Systems - Beauty Line and at least you don't have to alter your nail station.
Janice x

Nope the skinny lamp is just a daylight lamp, I have a hairdressers suction to extract dust.

My table is actually not a nailtable, but it fit perfectly for it.

I was considering purex myself, but in Denmark it's not approven because the air isn't going outside, so had to fix my ow thing LOL...

I was thinking that was too good to be true :lol:

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

Hi Karen, I found this. I can not remember where I got this leaflet about this filter system but I have been looking in to this due to me being asthmatic. This system seem to have taken off in a few salon Filtronic Filter Systems - Beauty Line and at least you don't have to alter your nail station.
Janice x

Thanks for that Janice... if you get one before I get sorted you'll have to let me know... I'll have to make a decision soon and just order it.

I don't create mountains of dust or anything.. even when I file a natural nail, I start to cough, so I think anything I get will be better than nothing.

and if your looking for that daylight lamp I got mine through beauty express every now and then they put it on sale price so keep an eye out for a bargain on it....I love this lamp:)

Latest posts

Back