Dying extensions-yes or no?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamanthaK

Reaction score
Hello all

I know as a general rule you're not meant to dye Extensions but I've heard of lots of people doing this with no problem.

I want to Advertise that the hair can be dyed on my price lists etc because so many people do dye their hair with extensions in and I don't want to put customers off but I wasn't sure if this was advisable to do ?

Cheers! X

Are you a hairdresser? If not I wouldn't recommend colouring extensions at all.

No, if clients ask if they can dye the extensions themselves then should I advise that this is okay or just let them know its at their own risk? Dying them does have some effect on the quality wouldn't it even if it's dyed correctly ? X

No, if clients ask if they can dye the extensions themselves then should I advise that this is okay or just let them know its at their own risk? Dying them does have some effect on the quality wouldn't it even if it's dyed correctly ? X

Advise them to take the extensions to a salon and have them done professionally to match, but also state you and company will not take any liability for quality issues should the extensions be coloured x

Are your customers hairdressers? If not and they don't have this done professionally then it wouldn't be "dyed correctly."

Unless the hair is 100% unprocessed you won't know the history so shouldn't really tell people they can colour it.. Just let them know it's at their own risk!

Yes. None of them are hairdressers, Okay, yes, I think I'll cover myself! Thank you x

Yes there should be no prob so long as you know how to dye hair.I matched up a brides weave to her hair for her wedding no prob.with hi lites and lo lites.

The extension hair you buy has been heavily processed with strong chemicals so it's not the same as colouring the hair on your head.

If they want them to match their new colour they need to have both done by a good colourist as they will have to use two quite different formulas to achieve a good match.

Okay, thank you very much ! Xx

We only colour virgin hair, I would not recommend colouring processed hair extensions.

If you are going to color the hair the hair needs to be really high quality. Otherwise the chemicals in the dye will completely break down the hair and as cheap hair is covered in silicone, it will strip this away and you're left with a dry mess after a few washes.

If the client has colored and bought the hair herself then its on her own risk but I wouldn't dye hair that I don't know how it would react. Thats why we only use really high quality hair that we can trust and we know how it reacts. We dye hair all the time! Many clients now have tricky hair colors that need to be matched. But again stressing that the hair and the bond needs to be top notch.

If you're talking about dying the hair with extensions in, make them sign a cheat prior so they understand what it could possibly do to affect the bonds. Again, if high quality strong keratin then the color shouldn't affect it, but it is important for the customers to know that it could soften the bonds.

With cheap hair and keratin which most extensionists out there use, its just not worth the risk to color it.

Yeah can dye them! Can go darker but not recommend to go lighter.

It will say on the suppliers website or hair packaging if they can be coloured

Latest posts

Back