E-File Competitions??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sensationail

Reaction score
As far as I am aware, there are no nail competitions in the UK in which u are allowed to use an electric file , however the biggest nail competition in the world which is held in america on an annual basis allows for electric filing.

I was only ever trained using an electric file, and to be honest, I have seen and heard of far more cases of painfull trauma to natural nails from MANUAL files than from electric files. In my opinion one has a far better prescision with an e.file and as long as one has been correctly trained in the useage, there is far less likelyhood of trauma to the natural nail with one.

So my question is this, why is it that in order to compete, I would have to manually file which would undoubetedly cause undue trauma to my clients nails? Does it make me less of a competitor because I use an e.file? I know that Im good at wot I do, and my clients have reiterated that to me on countless occassions, but due to wot I can only summise as "e.file descrimination" I cant prove it, nor can I earn the priveledge of competing alongside my fellow talented techs.

Is there anyone out there that perhaps agrees with my viewpoint, or has some feedback on wether this rule can/should be changed? And of course....HOW it can be changed?

Kind regards

Freddie
Sensationail (the original)

I find it interesting that not one person has offered any opinion wotsoever on this posting. so heres another question, how many of you would feel comfortable competing against an efiler??????? I will take NO response as a "yes i would have a problem answer" I can then gauge the discrimination level against efilers in this forum

maybe you have not received a reply because your tone seems a little confrontational and thats not what this site is about. i too am trained in the use of an e file, but if you want to enter a competition you have to be prepared to abide by the rules.

sensationail said:
I find it interesting that not one person has offered any opinion wotsoever on this posting. so heres another question, how many of you would feel comfortable competing against an efiler??????? I will take NO response as a "yes i would have a problem answer" I can then gauge the discrimination level against efilers in this forum
Hi hun, well I don't use an E-file as I compete in Fibreglass category........
but I am an L&P Technician ...........
I don't use an E-file as I finish my overlays with the brush......smooth and very little filing to do.............I just don't feel I need to use one.........
But thats just my oppinion.......

Competitions are to create a beautiful nail, not a race to who finishes first lol....
The same way you are not allowed to use chemical tip blenders,is that discriminating, nope you have use a file to blend the tip by hand, with a file......thats the rules and I am quite happy with that........

There is no section on the scoresheet for E-file usuage.............
All work it hand finished..........

There is no discrimination on this board against regulated and educated e-file users.........Every body has their own method, but if you can use a file as well as an E-file then I can't see a problem there........

I appreciate the fact that its actually technically more difficult to finish a nail with an efile without damage and no demarcation........... but again if you are a good Technician being able to use both .......Then whats the problem????
JMHO

Hiya Freddie,
I feel that hand filing and e-files can both cause awful damage if in the wrong hands. I think that there should be no discrimanation against users of e-files, But unfortunatly it as been assumed that e-files mean nss, Which is just not the case. I personally can't see why e-files can't be included in comps, Maybe one day they will be allowed here in the uk comps. Sorry i didn't reply before, Just must have missed this thread.

If a technician creates beautiful nails that are smooth and thin with her brush ..... then filing to finish is minimal.

My opinion is that anyone who is good enough to compete, should be able to do this without using a drill to correct work that may not be done so well with the brush.

As a judge of many many competitions and also the person who wrote the criteria many years ago for competitions in the UK, I would be looking for technical expertise not mechanical expertise.

Just as an FYI: there is far more extensive damage done to natural nails per captia with electric files versus hand filing. Why? Because most people dont file at 15,000rpm's :D

That doesnt mean that there are not plenty of skilled individuals that work perfectly safe with them, it just means you lack some percision and control with such high speeds. O, and IMO, you can never convince me that its safe to use one on the natural nail plate.

I will take NO response as a "yes i would have a problem answer"

Isnt this kind of silly? Do you really think that you are going to get over 2,500 people voicing their opinion either way on this subject?

I have seen a response!! I thank all that took the time and effort to post their thoughts here. If I may respond to a few here...I would like to say firstly....I dont use an e-file for speed....I use it for prescision!! I dont use L&P I use gel and therefore dont need to buff to a high shine with files. Secondly...

"As a judge of many many competitions and also the person who wrote the criteria many years ago for competitions in the UK, I would be looking for technical expertise not mechanical expertise." May I say here....with all due respect...you should know better than to call an electric file a "drill"....drills are used for making holes in things.

Also I would be interested in how you define...technical and mechanical....is there no technical skill in managing/handling something mechanical????...hmmm how did we all get our drivers licences???

"If a technician creates beautiful nails that are smooth and thin with her brush ..... then filing to finish is minimal." Prescisely!!! so wot difference does it make if she uses an e-file or manual file in her prep, tip blending, and finish??

"it just means you lack some percision and control with such high speeds"

Sorry Sam..I have to disagree with u on this one...I have tremendous respect for you and the work you do however a statement like that seems a tad biased. I believe I have a practically perfect record of trauma free nails leaving my work station, no cuticle and sidewall burns, no walls of fire, and beautifully finished nails...this is partly due to the prescision and control I have with my e-file....however the point here is actually about the fact that I cannot prove that to you or anyone else in the UK because of competition rules stating I may not use one in order to compete. Maybe you can answer this one for me Sam....why is e-filing allowed in the biggest competition in America??

And finally...thank you lesley for being the only one who actually kinda sorta answered the question which was..."how many of you would feel comfortable competing against an e-filer?" and no Sam....I dont expect 2500 responses here...I merely wanted to stir up some emotions and get people talking about something which I think has been poo poo'd for far too long!

Regards

Freddie

Hi Freddie,

Just wanted to point out that what Geeg meant as to shape with your brush not your file, just means that. If you apply your L&P or Gel smoothly with your brush, then some or virtually no fileing is needed, wether it be with a e file or a manual file.

I am afraid that with regards to you saying you don't get damage to a natural nail with an efile, i'm afarid you will never convince me of that. I was taught even with using a hand file that using it once on a natural nail takes away shine, which you do before applying any product, twice is taking away natural nail. It doesn't have to hurt the client for you to do damage, if it does then you have virtually gone through the whole nail. With this in mind you would only have to delicately touch a natural nail to cause damage. Maybe i'm wrong but as Sam said we don't file at the same rate manually that an efile does.

i was also taught never to use an efile on a natural nail for those reasons. I do agree with you that ANYONE not properly taught with either a hand file or efile will cause damage to nails.

As for competitions, no i wouldn't have a problem with competing with people using e-files, but thats not what competitions are all about. Its all about application fo product, they like to see you create a nail smoothly without having to file it down. Which is a skill in itself. When i apply my L&P i barely need to file afterwards so an efile is to no advantage to me.

Hats off to those who know how to use them properly, but i just get on fine with my manual ones.

Hi Ya, i dont use e-files but recently was set a dvd from NSI on balance gels and they use e-files i dont have anything against e-files and if i was taught properly then wouldnt have a problem with using them but i have never been taught to use them and so therefore wouldnt trust myself, if i was at a competition stage i wouldnt have an issue with competing against competitors using e-files as its the end result that matters. I guess its preference and at the moment am happy with manual filing.

Sawasdee ka

I had a lady come for nails she was from America she said she had nails done for the last 20 years and she was shock that i do hand fileing and it has been a long time that she have done this way with hand fileing .

E files are being used now in the usa a lot they do not look at e file use being nss in the usa there are schools teaching e files so for nss now is for mma and no sanitation lack of training .

If the rules for the competitions was made many years ago maybe it is time to update them and have a class competition for ladys who use e files it is 2004 not 1984 :) .

E file use is part of the nail industry now so they should be allowed even if it is putting the e file users together .

Mui from Thailand

I did not write the 'rules' for competition but the criteria for judging the nails. As far as I'm concerned, these points haven't changed since and are the same criteria, more or less, as used in the USA.

I used the word drill, because in my opinion that is what it is no matter what euphimism they care to use now to dress up the fact that it is still a drill.

I agree with Mui that a comp where mechanical devices can compete against each other would be a sensible idea if there are enough of those that wish to use them.

When I was last in the States, I went to a Vietnamise salon in California where no one used a drill on me. The nails were done beautifully by hand within the normal time frame of about 1hr 15 mins. The technician was an artist with her brush and it took her no time at all to finish me off to a high shine that was flawless. IMO that is true skill.

I do not share your opinions Sensational .. so we will agree to disagree.

Latest posts

Back