E-file on cuticle finish is so much cleaner/crisp overall finish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulamaula

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So i just wanted your opinion. The girl that always did my nails (b4 I trained) used a file just on my cuticle area and so does another local tech, she does the girl I work with.
The finish they get is so much cleaner, crisp and seamless looking. Im new to the industry but I really think it makes some difference.

Thoughts ? I will upload a pic to show you.

There are bits you can buy for the cuticle area - although you must have training to use an efile. I personally don't use an efile I use my tools and cuticle away I don't find any need for one but I've been a tech a long time x

oooohhh interesting! do you mean she uses a cuticle bit on an efile to prep before application or after to blend the acrylic with your natural nail? I often use a sanding band on myself as I struggle to file using my non dominant hand and this always results in lifting on one hand for me if I don't use the efile.

oooohhh interesting! do you mean she uses a cuticle bit on an efile to prep before application or after to blend the acrylic with your natural nail? I often use a sanding band on myself as I struggle to file using my non dominant hand and this always results in lifting on one hand for me if I don't use the efile.
She uses the cuticle bit on the efile as part of the prep b4 application, leaves a lovely finish!

I'd be interested to see a photo of what you mean!

I'm sure Greg Salo at young nails has a tutorial on this X

Just had a look sorry can't find one! X

Last edited:
Its a diamond bit, its shaped like a small funnel and the tech will run it around the side walls and cuticle area of the nail to make sure there is no dead skin on the nail plate.

My issue with this technique is that it will remove dead skin tissue…… but it will also remove healthy nail plate, experienced techs will not take much nail plate but it stands to reason that some will have to be removed. If you are offering a service like CND shellac where it's main benefit is that no buffing of the natural nail is required leaving the nails in much better condition it seems counter intuitive to use this method especially when cuticle away , and using a curette will do the same job albeit may take slightly longer.

I was trained to use a cuticle sciver for nail prep. It's a teeny tiny bit and it's AMAZING! I love it!
download.jpe

I trained with young nails. I was taught to use a sanding band on the lowest speed to prep the nail bed prior to application.

Attachments

• 20151019_131213.jpg
    20151019_131213.jpg
    679.2 KB · Views: 286
I also use a special cuticle bit with the e-file.it helps remove the cuticle that i can not see clearly.

IS that uses with an efile Kim?
You bet! I use it with my Erica's MT20 e-file. I absolutely love the sciver bit! And I RARELY have lifting on clients.

Hello ladies,

What grit size for the sciver drill bit would you recommend for naturals nails (to clean up the stubborn cuticle area) versus for acrylic (to clean the cuticle and to drill down the lifting parts of the acrylic)? Fine...medium...coarse? I work mainly with naturals nails, but I am slowly moving into doing refills and I was wondering if I can use the same grit size for both natural and acrylic nails if I get a medium grit without damaging the natural nail? (I rarely use the drill on natural nails unless the cuticle area is very stubborn...I am guessing that the fine grit is not enough to do the trick)

I was trained to use use my arbour bands when removing shine and cuticles! Xx

I was trained to use use my arbour bands when removing shine and cuticles! Xx

I use the fine sanding bands for the stubborn cuticles but I think that the sciver would take off much more dead skin?

I would love to start using an E-file but I petrified of them! Can I ask who you all trained with please? Xx

I use the fine sanding bands for the stubborn cuticles but I think that the sciver would take off much more dead skin?
I've never used the shivers,the arbour bands work for me :) x

I would love to start using an E-file but I petrified of them! Can I ask who you all trained with please? Xx
I trained with Young Nails x

Latest posts

Back