E-file opinions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liz Howells

Reaction score
What is your opinion on electric files?

I have only ever been taught to do acrylics with a hand file. I've attached a photo of a set of nails I've done so you can see the finish I get with a hand file and they last weeks with no lifting. The set I've attached I can do in an hour.

Also are there any benefits to an e-file?

Attachments

• IMG_20180208_215128_988.jpg
    IMG_20180208_215128_988.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 170
I use an efile for removal and infills. For a new set I don't need to because I apply the product properly (I use gel). So the benefits would be mostly for removals and infills where you will need to remove product anyway. For a new set, very little filing is /should be needed. Still I spend far longer than an hour, although most of my time is spent on prep and nail design lol. :p

Agreed that you shouldn't need or rely on an e-file for new set finish filing however, once you start using your e-file and a sciver bit for cuticle prep - you won't look back!
Body of the nail wise, it makes removal of gel polish from enhancements super quick and come rebalance and removal, you can remove bulk in no time with the correct bit. Really it's an aid to prevent over use symptoms in the hands/shoulder.

I would also advise against purchasing e-files that are battery operated. LI-Pol Batteries have a limited lifetime of about 500 cycles and often cannot be user serviced; you need to throw the whole device which is wasteful. So I would avoid these if possible.

When I used to have my nails done I loved how much time was saved using an e-file although I don't know if my tech was trained in using them because she burnt me with it loads!!

When I used to have my nails done I loved how much time was saved using an e-file although I don't know if my tech was trained in using them because she burnt me with it loads!!

I would be suspicious if you got friction burns with an e-file. Mind you, a normal nail file can also burn the nail bed if due care is not taken.

once you start using your e-file and a sciver bit for cuticle prep - you won't look back!
I've seen clients with these marks. They are called rings of fire.

What is your opinion on electric files?

I have only ever been taught to do acrylics with a hand file. I've attached a photo of a set of nails I've done so you can see the finish I get with a hand file and they last weeks with no lifting. The set I've attached I can do in an hour.

Also are there any benefits to an e-file?
Wow! These are fab! How do you do these in an hour?!! It takes me 2 hours and thats with using an e file!
I really need to try to cut my timings down!

Just to add, the key to proper and excellent e-file usage is training. :)

I was very anti efiles in my early days as a tech as I saw lots of people coming in from NSS’s with damaged Nail plates.

However, I’ve since trained in efile techniques and love my efile. I only use it as an aid to product removal and only on product - never on the natural nail and it makes removal so much easier x

E-files are vital to acrylics. It helps to take the bulk of the acrylic off and it helps to file off any gels. Hand filing should be left for final detailing.

I was wondering which efiles do you use? What to look for when buying an efile?

If you can do nails to that standard in an hour then well done

Latest posts

Back