E-File queries

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca153

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I trained with young nails in acrylic enhancements 4 years ago.
Wanting to improve treatment times and to give my wrists a bit of a break from filing, in November I decided to complete a 1 day e file training course with the brand 'magnetic nail design', however I haven't yet had the confidence to use one on a client!

Unfortunately in my training i had a bad experience, we worked on each other and my nail plates were left a bit worse for wear This makes me so nervous to use on clients as I know how painful they can be if used incorrectly!!

I have a saeyang k38 efile. In training I was told to use a speed of 27 RPM over the acrylic enhancement, would this be correct? I have watched lots of YouTube videos after my training and none seem to work at a speed as high as this?

Also, i was taught to use a slight bit of pressure when using the file over the acrylic, how much is too much? I am petrified of causing damage!

Throughout the training course holding the file felt uncomfortable and unnatural, does this come better with practice? I was moving the file in the correct direction but at times I felt like it was nearly jumping on me? Perhaps I wasn't using enough pressure?

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

E-filing can be extremely daunting, I would advice to practise on some tips where you have already applied an overlay to. That way you can work on your technique and confident no human hands will be harmed.
After that, move on to practise on yourself first and make sure you are confident and know what you are doing 100% before using it on a paying client.

The speed at which you would run your file also depends on the bit you are using, you will get a feel for what the correct speed is for what you are doing with practise. You should ask your educator for more help with this, and why they adviced 27 rpm in the first place, it does seem rather high to me tbh, however it depends on the situation they adviced you to use it for.
I also have the k38 and I don't think I've gone much higher than about half speed (15rpm).

Again your educator should be able to further explain what they meant by slight pressure, personally I was taught the file should do all the hard work and you should only have to apply enough pressure to hold it in place to ensure it doesn't skip and skid along the nail. :)

Everything is hard and awkward at the beginning, I did my e-file training about a year ago, I'm just feeling confident and happy with using it on myself over a hand file (however I do nails part time so everything takes a lot longer for me).

Good luck, contact your educator and keep practising!

It is a bit scary initially which I think is a good thing! As it means you’ll be cautious and probably under rather than over file.
I never use pressure and I use different speeds depending upon which but I’m using and what I’m using it for.
If you go too slow it can skip as it catches.
A safety bit is a great start as it allows you to work close to the cuticle and gives you peace of mind.
Young Nails have great YouTube videos in efiling which might help you.

I think the key is to relax a little and to try not to get stressed over the theory. The best method for getting comfortable with using an efile is to pay close attention to what you can feel.
Set up some tips with acrylic and work on them first. Experiment with how much pressure and speed you need to get results and not feel the efile sticking, dragging or skipping. You might even get to recognise when things are right by sound too.

Then try it on your own nails. This time paying attention to what you feel on the receiving end. Hot spots, vibration etc and tweak your set up and technique to smooth everything out.

As for how to hold it, just hold it as you would a pen. Close enough to the business end for full control but not so close that you can't see what you're doing.

When I was teaching I found people fell into one of two camps. I named them Digital and Analogue. Digital learners thrive on facts and figures and will devour written instructions with relish. Analogue learners are tactile and visual and learn best through application. I suspect you are the latter but your bad experience is holding you back from getting stuck in and you are left over worrying about sticking to the letter of the instruction even though you can feel things aren't right.

Get those tips out and make a start on bursting that bubble of uncertainty. [emoji6]

Latest posts

Back