E file, should I or shouldn't I?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mavric01

Reaction score
Could I have some advice please?! I am a gel nail technician (9 years) and am considering an efile course, purely for cuticle work and then I read you can use them for nail art. Is it worth me doing or is an efile mainly used for acrylic nails and sculptures? I do sculpt but find I get on fine with my normal files, but am wondering if maybe I need to modernise myself by getting a fancy file!! Any advice is hugely welcome, thank you

Getting an efile has nothing to do about modernizing yourself. For me it was mainly to cut down the time on removals and help with my mother's feet situation which would otherwise take me ages.

Efile a are manly used for debulking for removals or infills.
I have various bits that are very effective however a handfile is just as quick for cuticle work.

I agree with Cideralla . I only use an e file for quick removal of colour and debulking at maintenance appt and to say my poor bony old hands ;-)

Never use for cuticle work . I use a bridge file for that as the shape suits that area well
x

I'm really interested to hear more responses to this as it's something I've been thinking about for a while. After I started getting my own acrylics done (badly) at 16 then training myself, I feel that can be a lot of negative stigma on using e-files. For me, I have to confess in previous years I've used the fact that I hand file only as a selling point to my services, as the majority of people in my area have suffered from NSS salons so, like me, link NSS with e-files.

The more I now research e-files and courses, and the more I see techs I respect using them I wonder if, when I'm more confident with my application, I'll do an e-file course myself. I struggle slightly with filing as I have slight early onset osteoporosis in one wrist from a break so I find my other hand compensates and I'm locking my fingers when filing, which has led to filing too roughly and sore hands!

I'm really interested to hear more responses to this as it's something I've been thinking about for a while. After I started getting my own acrylics done (badly) at 16 then training myself, I feel that can be a lot of negative stigma on using e-files. For me, I have to confess in previous years I've used the fact that I hand file only as a selling point to my services, as the majority of people in my area have suffered from NSS salons so, like me, link NSS with e-files.

The more I now research e-files and courses, and the more I see techs I respect using them I wonder if, when I'm more confident with my application, I'll do an e-file course myself. I struggle slightly with filing as I have slight early onset osteoporosis in one wrist from a break so I find my other hand compensates and I'm locking my fingers when filing, which has led to filing too roughly and sore hands!
I get lots of pain when using the efile unfortunately. My non dominant hand gets very painful and my fingers clench shut and I struggle to open them. The pain goes up my arm and into my elbow.
I agree about waiting until your confident, I'm confident in application and also using the efile now but I'm still very cautious.

I get lots of pain when using the efile unfortunately. My non dominant hand gets very painful and my fingers clench shut and I struggle to open them. The pain goes up my arm and into my elbow.
I agree about waiting until your confident, I'm confident in application and also using the efile now but I'm still very cautious.

I'm not even going to consider an efile course until i'm anywhere near HALF as good as you Ciderella! But interesting to hear, thank you.

I'm not even going to consider an efile course until i'm anywhere near HALF as good as you Ciderella! But interesting to hear, thank you.
practice makes perfect, yes, and I wouldnt suggest this to a newbie, but you are not so I cant see what's there to stop you.
Dont be afraid of it, just take the plunge.

I only use an efile for debulking and removal x

I was trained to do nails with an efile so I use mine for everything except shaping really xx

I've gained a lot of clients from salons that have efiled them to oblivion so don't really feel I can start with one now.
But after 13 years of hand filing my right wrist is feeling it. :(
I think efiles are fine depending on whose hands you're in.

Latest posts

Back