e-files - good or bad?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
Ok, during my time in training, I was given the distinct impression on more than one occasion that e-files are BAD BAD BAD!!!!!!!!. However, I've noticed a few comments on here to suggest that they are used quite frequently.

So, whats your opinion? Do you use an e-file? If so have you had specific training in how to use one? Is it like any other product in this industry, i.e its not the product that damages the nail, its the misuse or incorrect application that does the damage??

Not that I'm thinking of getting one, I'm quite happy with my trusty koalas and outblacks, I was just wondering thats all:green:

i do have e-file that i have used on myself,the only thing i want to use my e-file for is smile line as i have seen on christie nails they are soooo good.some people say its the e-file others its the misuse of it.i will be getting trained on using mine before i use it on clients though.:green:

In the right, trained and professional hands i think they have there place. I personally don't use one as i manage fine with hand filing.

well, i love my efile and i'm not ashamed to admit it.

like all tools they can be very dangerous when used incorrectly.
but i use it properly and i have never caused harm with it.

i can do the job just as well with a hand file, but the e file helps avoid fatigue in my hands and shoulders when i am really busy.

Hi,

There's nothing wrong with e-files. You can cause damage using an ordinary hand file; I've certainly seen this many times.

Unfortunately the e-file has a bad reputation due to the 'RINGS OF FIRE' and immediate damage to the natural nail during preparation that NNS salons have given it. They are used to prepare the natural nail which causes damage before application has even begun!

Anyway, I use and teach using an e-file and my first rule is NEVER USE AN E-FILE NEAR THE NATURAL NAIL!

As you mentioned before, it is all about speed, and the angle and pressure used which can potentially cause damage. This too is true of a normal hand file. It really is due to how it is used...and how you are taught.

I was also taught many years ago that the e-file causes tiny cracks in the acrylic that cannot be seen under the naked eye but can under a microscope. But even if this were true, my clients never come back with trauma or cracks to their nails.

I Hope that answers your question!

I use an e-file reasonably regularly, I can file just as well by hand. I attended a professional training session with Sylvia Johnson first to ensure that I would have the correct basis to work with; and as a result I have great respect for my file and use it carefully. I have never caused a burn or mark of any kind with my file, however I mostly still always complete my clients nails by hand.

I can do a full set by hand in one hour and it takes me the same time with the e-file, so it doesn't save me time as I don't cut any corners. I use it mainly to relieve some of the tension on my hands.

It is definately miss use and not the tool which is at fault for the reputation e-files have. In the right hands they are wonderful things.

I believe there is definately a place in the industry for these tools, as long as people get proper training and use them with respect.

Sue x

Hi,
my e-file is great and i have had proper training. It stops me getting repetitive strain injury and tired fingers and arms. I would only recommend it if you get the correct training, its well worth it!

Sara x

If you are trained it shouldn't be a problem. At first I was aware of using it but had to invest in one because of arm and back problems... being mobile is really hard because clients don't have appropriate table for me to work on so an e file makes the job a bit easier. Now that I am using it I've found that there is nothing to be afraid of!

Latest posts

Back