E-petition for the ban of MMA products in the UK

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shahildar

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I didn't start this petition but saw it on facebook and if you nail geeks are like me I hate the non standard salons that everyone tends to go even though they know the risks! The petition has been created to ban the MMA use in UK like in the USA.

The link is here... On e you sign don't forget to click your verification email.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/56559

Doing it now x

I would've signed it but why do they need my home address? I don't fancy putting where i live on there which is a shame as i am so against MMA :(

I would've signed it but why do they need my home address? I don't fancy putting where i live on there which is a shame as i am so against MMA :(

I dont think they use it for any other purpose than to get in touch if you tick for updates. See the pic the creator or other signatories can't see your info hunni :) ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1384033786.090798.jpg

Signed.

Shakira x

Signed

Sent from my BatPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I will do
But this has done been done already years ago by Rachel Myatt (Chocolate) and i'm afraid it won't go anywhere.
A mp(for milton keynes i believe) took it to parliament and the outcome basically was that there are not enough complaints or case studies.
Basically clients aren't complaining enough and therefore not enough evidence to back up its banning.
Really shame cos its really ruining our industry:evil:

Yes it has been done before several times. Bob Giblett makes some excellent points about this on FB that are worth reading.

It's not so much about the case studies and complaints, Louise, (although that is true). It is more to do with the fact that MMA is not actually more of a health hazard than EMA. It is the fact that it is 'inappropriate' for use in the nail industry and those that use it have no concern for the health of the natural nail. So many clients will also keep having it used on them because they just want a cheap set of nails above any concerns for their nails.

The regulators of such issues are snowed under with investigations of substances that ARE a health hazard that something that is just 'innapropriate' won't even be looked at.

As Bob says, focus your energies on things than CAN be changed for the better in this industry and not things that can't.

Yes it has been done before several times. Bob Giblett makes some excellent points about this on FB that are worth reading.

It's not so much about the case studies and complaints, Louise, (although that is true). It is more to do with the fact that MMA is not actually more of a health hazard than EMA. It is the fact that it is 'inappropriate' for use in the nail industry and those that use it have no concern for the health of the natural nail. So many clients will also keep having it used on them because they just want a cheap set of nails above any concerns for their nails.

The regulators of such issues are snowed under with investigations of substances that ARE a health hazard that something that is just 'innapropriate' won't even be looked at.

As Bob says, focus your energies on things than CAN be changed for the better in this industry and not things that can't.

I absolutely agree. MMA usage is not banned in the States and neither wil it be in the UK. MMA is very much in use in lots of industries and perfectly safe to use for appropriate purposes. It's not appropriate when used to make fake nails ... But no one is going to give any petition about it the time of day.

I guess then is it a case of , if they declare it unsafe it would have to be considered unsafe for use in dental practises as well??or at least investigated further...??
There goes my chance of a shiny white set of veneers.

I think many people fail to realise this was where nails ,at least acrylic,orginated from to begin with.

I was told by the licensing team at Bromley council that "not enough" members of the public complain about their acrylic nails...and thats the problem
I think sometimes its seen as nail technicians being bitter towards the budget end of the industry rather than our actual concern about health and safety.

I am 100% sure I read somewhere that the use of it is banned for nails...I will do my best to try to find this info. But it is simply that, banning its use as a nail enhancement product...

Edit:

http://www.habia.org/uploads/NMC_MMA_final_on_new_logo.pdf

Hopefully this will work. It is actually prohibited for use in nails by the FDA according to this and has been banned in some usa states. It also says using it is breaking the law at the bottom? I think there is quite a bit of conflicting information but I do agree that it probably won't be banned any time soon because it can be used for other things.
Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
The FDA has stated that liquid MMA should not be used for nails since the 1970s, but as of 2010, it is only banned in 38 states. And like all illegal things, just because it is illegal doesn't mean it's not being used. (Hello, crack dealers!)

I'm sure all of those 38 states have a different sentence for possession and/or use of it because that's just how the US is, but I know of a state that considers it a 2nd degree misdemeanor where the punishment is a $500 fine and/or imprisonment not to exceed 60 days. (Although I'm a little confused about this ban seeing as they don't state if it's just the liquid form that's banned since l&p powders have MMA in the form of PMMA?) Of course all this has to happen AFTER an investigation following up on reports made about that person/salon. Exactly how many? I have no idea. Given the country's budget situation, I don't see "monitoring salons to ensure none are using prohibited products" as a top priority.

I don't mean to sound negative about it all, but I just wanted to show that although the FDA is aware of MMA and how toxic it can be, it's still there and being used. And not all 50 states is on board, so therefore, it really doesn't make a world of difference whether it's prohibited or not. It's like a college degree in a useless subject. Sure you've got it all nice and official looking, but it's about as useful as a third nipple.

The FDA has stated that liquid MMA should not be used for nails since the 1970s, but as of 2010, it is only banned in 38 states. And like all illegal things, just because it is illegal doesn't mean it's not being used. (Hello, crack dealers!)

I'm sure all of those 38 states have a different sentence for possession and/or use of it because that's just how the US is, but I know of a state that considers it a 2nd degree misdemeanor where the punishment is a $500 fine and/or imprisonment not to exceed 60 days. (Although I'm a little confused about this ban seeing as they don't state if it's just the liquid form that's banned since l&p powders have MMA in the form of PMMA?) Of course all this has to happen AFTER an investigation following up on reports made about that person/salon. Exactly how many? I have no idea. Given the country's budget situation, I don't see "monitoring salons to ensure none are using prohibited products" as a top priority.

I don't mean to sound negative about it all, but I just wanted to show that although the FDA is aware of MMA and how toxic it can be, it's still there and being used. And not all 50 states is on board, so therefore, it really doesn't make a world of difference whether it's prohibited or not. It's like a college degree in a useless subject. Sure you've got it all nice and official looking, but it's about as useful as a third nipple.

It is only the MMA monomer that is prohibited (where it is prohibited) for use for nail enhancement. It is not prohibited because its toxic ... It is prohibited because it is unsuitable for the job and can cause serious injury to a person if the nails break.

It can only be proved that a person is using MMA monomer by grabbing a bottle from the user and lab testing it ... Tricky and expensive ... It's just not going to happen.

It is only the MMA monomer that is prohibited (where it is prohibited) for use for nail enhancement. It is not prohibited because its toxic ... It is prohibited because it is unsuitable for the job and can cause serious injury to a person if the nails break.

It can only be proved that a person is using MMA monomer by grabbing a bottle from the user and lab testing it ... Tricky and expensive ... It's just not going to happen.

This is what I'm thinking. I saw a safety inspection check report on a salon (can't remember which state) where they were reported due to the strong smells coming from their premises. It was very extensive, long, and costly. THey had to do readings to check the air while the salon carried on a normal shift, took all their bottles in for testing (they were using NSI), ect. They pretty much checked every nook and cranny, and the only thing they came up with was that the products used were fine but the salon needed proper ventilation. This was for a teeny salon with only 2 people working in it. I can't imagine how much that must've costed the state just for that little check!

I will do
But this has done been done already years ago by Rachel Myatt (Chocolate) and i'm afraid it won't go anywhere.
A mp(for milton keynes i believe) took it to parliament and the outcome basically was that there are not enough complaints or case studies.
Basically clients aren't complaining enough and therefore not enough evidence to back up its banning.
Really shame cos its really ruining our industry:evil:

Its such a shame I know its been a heated debate on my business pages etc and im forever seeing clients and friends that ignore my advice and end up with unhealthy nails expecting miracles.. but youre right not enough clients complain as they tend to chose the fact that its super strong ans lasting and a full set takes 20 minutes .. personally I think its not just MMA there should be standards set for the industry as a lot of damage comes from improper use of drills on the natural nail plate and without sanitising too ... maybe were all too small of a voice to be heard :(

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 on Superfast 4G on EE. Using the Salon Geek App for Android.

People are not dumb! They know full well what they are doing when they go to places that use bad practices and they CHOOSE to do it even though there are alternatives.!

Why do we want the law to change? Better standards? Really? This is not a personal comment to the original poster!

My cynical view, but I think close to the truth, is that many just want to see the competition shut down, rather than that they are really motivated by or have any genuine concern for other people's healthy nails.

There are other ways to tackle bad practices and that is through education.

My sister always goes to the local salon where they drill the nail plate to basically nothing and use MMA but she says she's not bothered because they stay on - I was practising on her (I use nsi) and they come off within a week or 2 so she chooses the Other salon because they stay on! X

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back