Ear candles

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quiet Therapist

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wasnt sure which thread to put this on as its not technically skin but wasnt sure where else to put it!

I qualified in ear candles about 15 years ago and only use Biosun candles. I was doing some digging around on the internet to help me with some new marketing for the treatment. And there seems to be a shift in what people think happens during a treatment.

I was taught that the wax like residue (if any) in the candle after treatment (sometimes soft and sometimes rock hard and light to dark in colour) was actual ear wax. Though now it seems that claim isnt true.

Also there are massive claims that its dangerous. That the clients head should be covered with a towel or a paper plate put at the bottom of the candle. I wasnt ever taught this. Whilst the candle has a flame you are there holding it and its unlikely to burn the client. Claims that the wax can drip down the candle and into your ear?

Ive never had any trouble but just wondering what everyones thoughts are. I was taught well but thinking how do you advertise a treatment you know is effective if there are articles out there spreading horror stories.

Thanks

Last edited:
I was really interested in offering ear candling as a treatment so I started to research it before booking onto a course. I bought a book and used good old google and YouTube to see what I could find out and I saw an experiment carried out where they burned an ear candle without placing it in an ear to see what would happen - and there was waxy residue inside when they cut the candle open afterwards, so definitely not earwax!

I was still interested from a personal point of view as I often have blocked ears so I ordered some candles to try on family (who were also really keen to try them). I also ordered a towel with an ear hole in especially for ear candling and my candles also came with silver foiled cardboard discs which slide onto the candle to catch any debris. Everything I've read and seen about ear candling recommends using these.

I saw a couple of videos on Youtube and some clearly had the candle upside down and I felt they were biased.

Biosun dont sell candles with additions. I just wonder whether over the last decade people are extra cautious as we were not taught to use towels/cardboard discs.

And that people are scare mongering.

Has anyone else got any other experiences?

I saw a couple of videos on Youtube and some clearly had the candle upside down and I felt they were biased.

Biosun dont sell candles with additions. I just wonder whether over the last decade people are extra cautious as we were not taught to use towels/cardboard discs.

And that people are scare mongering.

Has anyone else got any other experiences?
I just did my course for ear candling! Wax what is in candle is not ear wax its candle wax. Basically it shows if you have any blockage in your ear or nose or elsewhere. It doesn’t actually remove wax! I dont know why I did the course in the first place as I am not wanting to lie clients and say it is ear wax as its not ! And what the treatment actually does? I dont even know! Have no idea what to tell my clients. As women who did training said - It does not remove wax ‍♀️ That its impossible!... So why its advertise that it heps to remove wax? I dunno! Very confused with this treatment and what to say to clients! Had it done myself it felt nice and thats about it. Did not feel any different. ‍♀️ All I say to clients for now is - it is just a nice relaxing treatment what shows you if you have any blockages in your ear, throat or nose. And praying for clients not to ask more questions!!

I would say dont do a treatment you dont 100% believe in as clients want a therapist they trust. If you are unsure of its benefits it would be a difficult treatment to promote.

Last edited:
I would say dont do a treatment you dont 100% believe in as clients want a therapist they trust. If you are unsure of its benefits it would be a difficult treatment to promote.
I agree. So because I'm not 100% convinced I decided not to do the training.

Do you find the treatment effective and popular? I really want to believe they work! I found it a comforting treatment myself but didn't notice any obvious difference afterwards, however where I have found them very useful for myself and my family, (we are all prone to blocked ears), is before we fly abroad, I do an ear candling treatment followed by using an ear syringe and one treatment softens the wax quicker than using ear drops for a week, so the ear wax is easy to flush out! (Obviously I wouldn't be doing this on clients though!)

Its not a popular treatment of mine. Only my husband seems to be a repeat customer!

I think the treatmemt is very relaxing, and good for blocked sinus, tension headaches, general time out. Not sure about the ear wax claim now, though this was a big selling point when I trained. I think its probably nice as an add on treatment maybe to an Indian Head Massage or a Top to Toe if giving a reflexology!

I have almost no demand for ear candling. I don't faff around with all the latest additions. I've read around the Internet and there are lots of people mentioning that they burn 7-8 candles in a treatment and this seems stupid - i use 1-2 per ear.

I think it helps with lymph movement and cleaning. I never sell it as an ear unblocker as it's too gentle. But my husband finds it very rejuvenating.

I did my granddaughter when she was 2. Both my daughter and husband said "don't". She had a permenently snotty nose. Yuck. So when I was asked to babysit her in my salon (like you do!) I thought "right". I explained the treatment, asked her if she would like to try it and gave her a mirror to watch. I just burned one and it took 10 mins which is a long time for a 2 year old to lie still. I cut open the candle and showed her the contents. There was candle wax debris and also all sorts of other debris which changes from client to client. (I do think the ears expel ear debris, I don't think that the hugely varying contents of a burnt candle are just candle debris.). She immediately said "we have to do the other ear" climbed back on to the couch and pointed firmly. So I did the second ear. She fell into a deep sleep.

When she awoke she seemed very cheerful. She was much less snotty after that as a long term improvement. Darling grandchild gave the game away at the next birthday. "Tell Grandad to light the candles" I said, she shoved the birthday candle in her ear And asked Grandad to light it for her...Oops!

She was flummoxed and disappointed that it wasn't another ear candling session. Angry and accusing daughter and grandfather had to concede that she had seemed much better post candling and her reaction suggested that she must have enjoyed the treatment.

And she's asked for more sessions. She clearly connects the treatment with improved well being.

Latest posts

Back