ear piercing under 16's

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondie24

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Do any of you out there offer ear piercing to under 16 yr olds? I did my training some time ago and was strongly advised against offering this treatment to under 16's.
I have recently opened a salon above a swimming pool and have had loads of parents asking for this for their kids. I've checked with my insurers who haven't got a problem with it.
I do not want to keep turning people away, having had so many requests.
Why do training companies say no to kids?
Any thoughts guys?:green:

Is there a legal obligation to get parental consent under the age of 16? If so, could it be anything to do with this?

Personally I dont mind ear piercing on older children, I let my daughter have hers done when she was 9, what I hate though is when you see toddlers and sometimes even babies who have had this inflicted on them by their parents. I can understand letting some under 16's have their ears pierced with parental consent, but personally I would draw the line somewhere.

the shop claire,s do ear piceing to under 16,s....my hubby has tattoo studio and he is going to do peiceing aswell...when we asked if there was a age limit on it they said no....at my children,s school girl,s as young as 12 are having there belly button,s piecred....when my hubby does do it we are going to do belly nose ,etc no under 16,s but ear,s are fine imo...my daughter is 11 and has her ear,s piecerd....she wonts to get the top of her ear done but her father told her when she is 16...hth xxx

I will pierce the ear lobes of under 16's providing the parent is present and have signed a consent form. What I do say though is that I won't pierce anyone under 6 years, this is purely a personal choice as I don't want to make the little ones cry!! :rolleyes:

When i did my ear piercing course it was drummed into us that you had to have parental consent for under 16s. To pierce a "child" under this age without written consent is paramount to assault, and if the parent gets stroppy you can be prosecuted! (This has actually happened).

I do not accept telephone conversations with parents when it comes to piercing, or consent forms from older siblings etc.

I personally will not pierce babys (this may be up to age of 3, depending on what the attitude of the child is like), as I think it's disgusting - my personal opinion.

To reiterate, piercing an under 16 without written parental consent can be construed as assault.

You need parental consent for under 16s, you should have a book with your kit that has a form to be completed on EVERY piercing you do and also covers parental consent. You also should attach the paper from the package of the earrings to the back of the form.
Children can only have ears pierced when they have had their final immunisations.
hth

You need parental consent for under 16s, you should have a book with your kit that has a form to be completed on EVERY piercing you do and also covers parental consent. You also should attach the paper from the package of the earrings to the back of the form.
Children can only have ears pierced when they have had their final immunisations.
hth

How old are children after their final immunisations? (I cant remember), they are still babies though aren't they? I cant imagine for the life in me why any professional would inflict this service on a baby or a child too young to speak for themselves. Its hardly a necessary service is it, its just fashion. In my opinion it should be made illegal to pierce a pre school age child, parental consent or not, but thats just my opinion, I'l get off my high horse now!:green:

How old are children after their final immunisations? (I cant remember), they are still babies though aren't they? I cant imagine for the life in me why any professional would inflict this service on a baby or a child too young to speak for themselves. Its hardly a necessary service is it, its just fashion. In my opinion it should be made illegal to pierce a pre school age child, parental consent or not, but thats just my opinion, I'l get off my high horse now!:green:

They finish their baby vaccinations at 4 months.

But don't forget that it is quite normal and acceptable for some cultures to pierce babies ears but you can make the choice personally not to.

I personally dont see any problem with it as long as everything has been done correctly and by the book. I had my ears pierced as a baby and I had my daughters ears done when she was 10 months old in claires. I have to say they were very good

Sorry I know I'm going to be extremely unpopular now, but why on earth would you allow someone to pierce your babies ears????????
In western culture, it is purely a fashion choice. Babies do not have the ability to speak and make this choice or protest. A few years ago I saw a woman take a baby to have its ears pierced, and the baby screamed so much in pain after the first one it was heartbraking, yet the woman still held the childs arms down to allow the second one to be done. It took every ounce of self control for me not to knock that woman through the shop window. I've had my own ears pierced and I know how uncomfortable it is, to do that to a baby just doesnt make sense.

Sorry I know I'm going to be extremely unpopular now, but why on earth would you allow someone to pierce your babies ears????????
In western culture, it is purely a fashion choice. Babies do not have the ability to speak and make this choice or protest. A few years ago I saw a woman take a baby to have its ears pierced, and the baby screamed so much in pain after the first one it was heartbraking, yet the woman still held the childs arms down to allow the second one to be done. It took every ounce of self control for me not to knock that woman through the shop window. I've had my own ears pierced and I know how uncomfortable it is, to do that to a baby just doesnt make sense.

I admit it was a fashion choice for me. I like little girls with earings.
I have always had earings as my mum took me when I was a baby.
I do not see any problem with the chioce I made. I appreciate it might not be yours.

I felt that having them done now I could completely control how they were looked after as she was too young to constantly pull them about also she would not remember having them done. I believe a baby would get over/deal with any "pain" quicker than an older child. infact pain was not even an issue as claires pierce both ears at once and my daughter was so busy playing with the toy they gave her she didnt even cry.

She is 2 now and loves picking out and wearing earings. So I stick by my chioce.

Latest posts

Back