Ear piercing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaigeRegina15

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone actually knew that you have to register with your local council to carry out ear piercing in a salon? I have just been looking online and found this out to register it costs £195!!!! I am so shocked. Let me know your opinions.

That's been the law since 1982, and £195 is cheap if that's a one off cost. In some areas it's several hundreds pounds every single year.

Our Special Treatments Licence is c£1000 per year

Vile, that special treatment licence is a total disgrace. It's hit or miss but you can negotiate a reduction if you have a good track record. It's totally down to the discretion of your environmental health office but always worth a go.

I think you'll be amazed at how many people don't think they need a licence...I had a girl in self employed that wanted to offer ear piercing but I said it wasn't possible as I didn't have a license for it, it took a while to convince her too.....anyways she's not in my salon now...

I am only 21 so just learning as I go a long. Wow can't believe it!

Where I live we have to have a premises and a personal licence where they check you don't have things like carpets etc (that can soak up blood etc) this totals just above £300 for both licences per year

Where I live we have to have a premises and a personal licence where they check you don't have things like carpets etc (that can soak up blood etc) this totals just above £300 for both licences per year
That's why I don't do it! What a rip!

It was supposed to help crack down on rogue traders, and all it did was open the door to them and give responsible business owners an extra bill. It's a real pet hate of mine. I had to do a lot of work to sort out a few problems with the electrolysis qualifications side of things (long story) and talked to a lot of people on the environmental health side who feel it's really ineffective. I'm not against licensing but this one is just rubbish.

That is why most salons do not offer Ear Piercing because it can cost hundreds of pounds for the licence, and the fee depends on your borough.
I offer it as a mobile service, and am trained and insured. Its generally safe service to offer as long as you use good quality studs/equipment from a reputable supplier and perhaps avoid/or be selective about the piercing the cartiligeouse part of the ear. All in all, it can be a popular service to offer.

Latest posts

Back