Easily offended but.....spray tanning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Severnrose

Reaction score
It really annoys me when people ask what tanning solution I use, I say Nouvatan and they say 'oh I've never heard if it', I then feel like I have to explain to them that it's a lovely tan, no orange tinge, a shade for all skin types bla bla bla. That then makes me sound too much of a salesperson which puts them off! Really frustrates me the way they say 'oh I've never heard of it' and turn their nose up like it's a rubbish tan when actually it is REALLY good!

Does anyone else have this problem? And how do you deal with it without making it sound like you are pushing it in them and desperate for a sale! Which I'm not I just dont want people thinking I'm using a rubbish solution! Thanks x

Hey severnrose, that's exactly how it is with me too lol

I'm asked all the time what I use & then I say nouvatan there like hmm don't even know what it is.. So I say it's lovely, natural looking, no orange & has a good fade off, available in x amount of shades. when I hit send & read my message back I feel like I'm a salesperson too!! lol

clients think fake bake or st tropez or Sienna x are the only tans available & that's only because they are all well known brands. I also get sick of explaining why I don't use the above brands! x

one client get this....... when she came around for a tan, she noticed I had a new bottle (nouvatan) I said I'd changed over as this was a much nicer tan than my previous brand. she said oh is it a low budget make??! seriously! does the bottle look low budget? i think it is classy as hell the logo & all promo material but hey what do I know?! lol

I said no it is not low budget & in my honest opinion it's far better than the more well known brands & she said well you are going to say that aren't you.. I wanted to tip the whole bottle over her head but thought better not :) x

Aaaaaaarrrrggghhh!!!! SO annoying! That would have really got to me if someone said that! But that's why I hate having to 'sell' it to them, it actually makes me feel like I'm trying to sell them a rubbish solution! Which of course I'm not, I love it and wouldnt use it if I didn't. Duh!!! If u can be bothered, do you mind private messaging me your reasons for not using the other more well known brands? I have only used nouvatan so I can't actually compare it myself I just know it's lovely and all my customers are always so impressed with the colour!

Xx

It's the way they say they haven't heard of it - like they are some sort of tan solution connoisseur or something!!

Might put my nouvatan in a fake bake bottle and then when they say they love the colour I'll say 'ha!! It's Nouvatan love, not the perfect Fake Bake you thought!!' lol. As if I'd do that but it's tempting! X

It's the way they say they haven't heard of it - like they are some sort of tan solution connoisseur or something!!

Might put my nouvatan in a fake bake bottle and then when they say they love the colour I'll say 'ha!! It's Nouvatan love, not the perfect Fake Bake you thought!!' lol. As if I'd do that but it's tempting! X

haha I've tried quite a few other tans!! & I honestly think nouvatan is far better, I'll message you now the other ones I've tried & why I didn't like them x

haha I've tried quite a few other tans!! & I honestly think nouvatan is far better, I'll message you now the other ones I've tried & why I didn't like them x

Thanks, just didn't think it would be right to say bad things about other solutions on here x

I use Nouva and get this quite a lot too. Got it with LA as well. I try and overcome it by saying 'it has a fantastic reputation in the industry', I.e UNLESS you are IN the industry you probably won't have heard of it! :p xx

Could you get some fancy flyers?! I use Aviva and they have a very professional pamphlet. Then you dont have to verbally sell it. They can just read it. I dont give it to anyone, only the sceptics.

Another tip might be to have an independant review (in the brands favour) link that you can send them... I use this for my nail brands.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Could you get some fancy flyers?! I use Aviva and they have a very professional pamphlet. Then you dont have to verbally sell it. They can just read it. I dont give it to anyone, only the sceptics.

Another tip might be to have an independant review (in the brands favour) link that you can send them... I use this for my nail brands.

Thanks I do have the Q&A leaflets from nouvatan which I usually only give to customers as it has aftercare info on there. But good idea, I may carry a couple round with me so I can give them one when they seem concerned they have never heard of it!

Thank you.

I use Nouva and get this quite a lot too. Got it with LA as well. I try and overcome it by saying 'it has a fantastic reputation in the industry', I.e UNLESS you are IN the industry you probably won't have heard of it! :p xx

This is great wording thanks! X

I use nouvatan and someone gave me a great piece of advice for this problem. When someone says they haven't heard of it, don't get flustered and start explaining all the benefits, just smile and say "its a professional only solution, its not for sale in boots so that might be why you haven't heard of it"! That's what I do now x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

That, Deebaneenee, is genius!

I say "really? Well beauticians LOVE this one because of the quality - and we are verrrrry hard to please.". All of which is absolutely true.

I use nouvatan and someone gave me a great piece of advice for this problem. When someone says they haven't heard of it, don't get flustered and start explaining all the benefits, just smile and say "its a professional only solution, its not for sale in boots so that might be why you haven't heard of it"! That's what I do now x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

love it!!

If they haven't heard of it then, then say well your in for a nice suprise because it's the best tan ever!

Plus you say your not a saleswoman, but isn't part of our job to try and sell these wonderful treatments that we do? Sales woman/business woman it's what we are..you want to retail aftercare products, your need to become more assertive and sell you, your business, your treatments and your products :) xx

I have found that apart from fake bake and st Tropez nobody has heard of any other fake tan products.
As you have said Nouvatan is that good it sells it self. I also say its a professional product for salon use not available to the public. Which is totally true. Apparently they are doing all the shows this year so there name and brand will be getting a bit more recognition.
to be honest the price of nouvatan when you buy in bulk of 3 litres like I do is as cheap as a budget brand, but the stuff in the bottle and the results is better than tans I have paid £80 a litre for in the past.

If they haven't heard of it then, then say well your in for a nice suprise because it's the best tan ever!

Plus you say your not a saleswoman, but isn't part of our job to try and sell these wonderful treatments that we do? Sales woman/business woman it's what we are..you want to retail aftercare products, your need to become more assertive and sell you, your business, your treatments and your products :) xx

That's good! Will say that to them too. What I meant about not wanting to be a saleswoman is I dont want to come across as a pushy saleswoman and that I'm trying to push the tan on them just cos I want a sale. I do actually believe in the product, I've chosen Nouvatan because I did a lot of research beforehand and Nouvatan had such good reviews. So I don't want to give potential customers the impression I'm a 'typical saleswoman who doesn't really care much for the product itself I just want to get their custom'. Because this is not true at all.

A good reply I think is a mixture of what a couple of people have said: It's not available to buy on the high street which is why you may not have heard of it before but it's really popular within the tanning industry and professionals love it. Why dont you see for yourself-you won't be disappointed!

I think it's cos I can't stand it when sales people try to get me to buy something - I always think the item could be rubbish but it's your job to sell it to me and you don't care whether it will actually be any good for me, you just want my money. So I hate that potential customers can make me feel like I need to turn into the type of salesperson I hate!!

But with my new 'script' hopefully I'll feel better!! Xx

That's good! Will say that to them too. What I meant about not wanting to be a saleswoman is I dont want to come across as a pushy saleswoman and that I'm trying to push the tan on them just cos I want a sale. I do actually believe in the product, I've chosen Nouvatan because I did a lot of research beforehand and Nouvatan had such good reviews. So I don't want to give potential customers the impression I'm a 'typical saleswoman who doesn't really care much for the product itself I just want to get their custom'. Because this is not true at all.

A good reply I think is a mixture of what a couple of people have said: It's not available to buy on the high street which is why you may not have heard of it before but it's really popular within the tanning industry and professionals love it. Why dont you see for yourself-you won't be disappointed!

I think it's cos I can't stand it when sales people try to get me to buy something - I always think the item could be rubbish but it's your job to sell it to me and you don't care whether it will actually be any good for me, you just want my money. So I hate that potential customers can make me feel like I need to turn into the type of salesperson I hate!!

But with my new 'script' hopefully I'll feel better!! Xx

Nouvatan is far more heard of now tho but yeah alot of people think that fbake is the best tan becoz its more heard of and advertised but in my opinion its not ive had a fbake spray tan done before i became a tanning therapist myself and after trying nouvatan ive never looked back i love it! i tell all my clients how great it is because i believe i offer them the best! which having a business you must believe in the products you use i dont see it as hard sell im just giving them the facts on the products and they decide for themselfs everyone who has tried it that used fakebake etc....have converted and have seen how good Nouvatan is for themselves and come bk time again & tell there friend xx

Last edited:
I get this too i use brown bitz, I say along the same lines as others that it is only available to professionals!

I do use fake bake too but would say I have managed to convert 80% of my clients and feel like a salesperson at times!

Don't let people fluster you, you are the professional and they are the client if they could do it better then they wouldnt be coming to you in the first place!

I use Couture and when people ask me what tan i use, i've been saying "Oh i use a really lovely golden bronzed tan, it's called Couture, but it isn't very well known outside the beauty industry"

So far it's worked a treat. I am going to switch to Sienna X or add it alongside Couture though as i would like a better known brand name and i also really like the tan xx

Latest posts

Back