Easy going salon near Reading?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellerica

Reaction score
Yeah, sorry, that old chestnut again... I joined SalonGeek simply to ask a question, but now that I have read through some of the posts - especially things like "your weirdest client", I get the feeling that I may regret this...

However, being always the optimist (not to mention the rambling old fool) I will persevere. I am (mostly) male, 50-something but look younger (although feel a helluva lot older!) and I have a feminine streak a foot wide down my back. I also have a similar masculine streak, so kinda 50-50 depending on where I am and what I'm up to work-wise.

My hair is not long by any means, but longer then the average 50+ bloke. It is also tinted, highlighted, and disappearing at a scarily alarming rate! So why don't I just grow old, grey and bald gracefully? Cos I ain't ready and besides, I don't want to. And I do enjoy my feminine side, even if I hate it a lot of the time, I'm embarrassed about it, and frankly, it does my head in. What I will never do is cause any embarrassment to a hairdresser or anyone else in a salon... OK, I am strange, but I am not weird and I'll always quietly leave any establishment if I risk upsetting, embarrassing, or generally peeing anybody off. And I hate being laughed at, pointed at, or ridiculed (so the way I am leaves me wide open to all three of the above - silly huh?)

For a while I have been having my hair tinted, highlighted, trimmed, dried then tonged or set (yes, :eek: set, told you I was strange) at home, with my ever-loving wife and kids there but I miss the whole salon R&R experience. A couple of hours to switch off the phone and just chill out in a relaxed, friendly, non-judgemental atmosphere is lovely and I miss it. OK, so I can't wear what I like to a salon (I look OK in a skirt and made up but haven't got the guts to be seen 'dressed' in public even though I often have make up on), but that is a small compromise for the overall experience. And yes, if it is more of a 'just-one-of-the-girls' experience, then so much the better.

When I was younger, stupider (if that's possible) and braver, I would walk in to a salon, be totally upfront, and ask if they were completely happy to have someone like me as a client. If they were not completely cool, and were not convinced that their other clients would be cool(ish), then I would happily leave with no harm done (except, perhaps, to my ego and sense of self-respect which is sadly lacking at the best of times...) Now that I'm an old f@rt, I don;t seem to have the guts (or cannot take rejection?) so keep parking outside or near the salon, sitting there fretting for 20 minutes, then driving away without going in. Hence my initial approach on here - I can ask the question and not have to run away if I don't like the response.

I'm simply looking for a salon in west Berkshire area, Reading area, or even the M4 corridor (as I trundle in and out of London-land on a regular basis) who is cool with strange peeps, won't give me a blokey cut if I don't want one, will tell me (nicely) if my preferred chosen style is gonna look ridiculous, and doesn't bat an eyelid if a guy wants to relax under the drier for a while looking like Nora Batty (or worse!) And can put up with a me-me-me person who blows hot and cold about their gender all the time.

I know, a massive ask, but like I said several million words ago, always the optimist... Thanks if anybody has made it this far into this drivel (you're possibly as strange as me?) o_O

What a fab post [emoji173]️
I am a beauty therapist and can wax hair off from any part of your body but can't help with the hair on your head :)
You're not weird or strange and I hope a lovely geek who has a hair salon in your area come on soon to help.
Big hugs [emoji173]️[emoji170][emoji173]️[emoji170][emoji173]️[emoji170]
Jacqui xx

Oh what a shame. I'm based in the north west. I say tying reading this and thought you might actually be my client of the last 8 years. He came to me as a male but slowly opened up to me and now when he rings up for an appointment I ask what name to book. So then I know if he or she will appear. Most of my clients are fine and don't take any notice and I just act like I do with all my clients.
I hope you find a nice friendly salon that you can be comfortable in x

I'm bromley so too far for you but I hope you find somewhere on here that will accommodate you. I'm sure there's loads, most hairdressers I know are pretty open minded!

Agree with the comments. If I did hair I'd welcome you with open arms. Great post and I wish you the best of luck finding someone.

You'll find some great support on here x

Latest posts

Back