Ebay issues!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantrelax

Head in the clouds Geek
Reaction score
Goodmorning everyone,

I wandered if anyone could give me some advice? I have recently sent my mini mist on Ebay.

I had to wait ages for a payment and then today I got an email from the buyer saying that she thinks the machine is on the way out. The motor in burnt out and smells and that she wants a full refund inc. postage to and from. Now I know that this machine was only used twice and then tested. I t was sent in perfect condition and perfectly packaged. I mean, why would I send her something that would bring me any grief??

If she had of emailed when she first recieved the item saying there had been a problem (BARING IN MIND THERE WAS NONE) then I would have been more inclined to refund her but she has had it almost 3 weeks!! She could have done anything to it.

Now what do I do? I have replied saying that there was nothing wrong with the machine but I think she will lodge a complaint against me!

Many thanks

When you say it was used twice and then tested. Who tested it - do you have a certificate saying it was ok on testing.

I would read through Ebays rules atc and I think that if you are happy that it was sold in good condition then I dont think she has anything to complain about.

Hi Fiona,

No I don't have a certificate I tested it myself really. I made sure that it was in good working condition.

can you not contact ebay yourself and ask for advice?

I would email her back and say exactly what you have told us, ie it was only used twice, you checked it was in perfect working order, etc.
If it is that new, have you got the guarantee? You could send her that and let her deal with it from there.

Hiya,

All that infomation was in the add. At the time of the ad I had had it just under a year. I had placed ads before this one but it didn't sell, so maybe it had gone up to a year by then.

Thank you, I will contact ebay I think.

I don't think the Mini Mist is designed for continuous use (I could be wrong but that was the impression I got) as I think people have had trouble with them 'burning out' when used like this. I've had a Mini Mist for a few years now and have never had any trouble with it, but I don't use it for more than two people in a row and then let it have a good rest in between clients!

Did you mention in your listing that it wasn't for continuous use? Maybe she's been using it non-stop in a salon in which case I wouldn't be surprised if it was on the way out!

Stick to yout guns at the moment and say it was in perfect condition when you sent it to her. If she files a complaint with eBay/Paypal just state your case clearly. Unfortunately, eBay/Paypal have a nasty habit of siding with the buyer, so don't be surprised if you end up losing the money.

As well as 'Buyer Beware' with eBay it's also a case of 'Seller Beware' too.

I hope things go ok for you.

Jackie

if she wants her money back and you dont give it to her...then she contacts ebay ...who contact you and they investigate it....

if ebay think you sold her dodgy stuff (i think if she had had it 3 weeks then complained..she just does not want it)they will take the money out of your bank and refund her....

i would wait and see what she does.....if she complianes to ebay they will contact you .....whaen they do ....bring up that she has had the machine for 3 weeks...it was fine when you had it and see what they decide...hth hun xx

i agree with what everyone has already said.did you ask her why she waited 3weeks before complaining?as she could of over used it/damaged it herself.i personally feel that 3weeks is to long before saying something.try and keep in contact with her though by emails and give ehr as much advice,information and help as you can.its hard because if i think of it from your piont of view then i agree with you but on the other hand if you were in her shoes and this happened i would be annoyed as if i had just bought something 3weeks ago which was ment to be hardly used and it wasnt working properly i would want my money back.maybe you could compromise and offer her some of her money back and say that you cant give her a full refund as its been too long.please let us know how you get on and good luck.
its a tough one!

I wouldn't offer her a refund or any money back, as she could accept some money and 3 weeks down the line decide she wants more.

I would suggest that you do keep civil, send her an email stating that 3 weeks of use outweighs you're using something twice. Do not offer any refund, suggest that she withdraw her demands as she has had full use of it for 3 weeks and if it had been faulty that would have shown up on the first few uses.

Thank you all for your replies.

I haven't had a response to my email as yet but I will keep you all informed.

Thanks Again.

if she wants her money back and you dont give it to her...then she contacts ebay ...who contact you and they investigate it....

if ebay think you sold her dodgy stuff (i think if she had had it 3 weeks then complained..she just does not want it)they will take the money out of your bank and refund her....

i would wait and see what she does.....if she complianes to ebay they will contact you .....whaen they do ....bring up that she has had the machine for 3 weeks...it was fine when you had it and see what they decide...hth hun xx

I agree with SJ, don't get bullied into handing over the dosh as you said if there was a problem she should have contacted you ealier, wait to hear what eBay has to say, thats if she contacts them. Just a tip for the future, try putting 'sold as seen' or 'no return' this shouldn't scare customers if your ratings are good, its worked for me. Alway get electrical items PAT tested with certification and take some pics (dated) before sending it out then theres no come back :)

Stand your ground chick :)

Ok, I just thoughgt I would update you all.

A dispute has now been mlogged against me and thebuyer has sebt me an email stating that the unit has been sitting in her porch for the last two weeks and as she works full time and has two children, etc, etc, she hardly had a spare second to look at it. She thinks that she is just too trusting and just expected me to treat her in the way in which she treats others!!!

She also mentioned that she cannot afford to lose this amount of money...Well neither can I thank you!

I am sorry but I do have a job and a house to take care of and a child but if I had spent that kind of money on a SECOND HAND ELECTRICAL ITEM I would have checked it the moment it was delivered???

So I emailed her back, being as polite as I could given the circumstances...Infact her are the emails

Email one....

Firstly, I would like to send you my apologies. My first email may have been a little abrupt but I was quite shocked at your accusations.

I would also like to say that you must do whatever you feel is right here but having said all that, I would also like you to understand my stance on this matter.

As you have had the machine for over two weeks I believe it poses a few questions. May I ask why you did not check/use the unit as soon as it was recieved? I know that if I had spent that amount of money on an electrical item I would have tested it as soon as I could. With all due respect within the two weeks that you have had the Mini Mist a thousand and one things may have been done do it. I obviously only have your word that that is not the case.

If you had contacted me within the first 24-48 hours of delivery I may have been more inclined to refund your payment as the likely hood of you damaging the machine (and then asking for a refund)would have been far less.

As previously stated, I am 100% certain that the unit was sent in excellent condition and any issues you have with the machine are no fault of my own.

Kind Regards

Then came her email again.

Email Two.....

Apologies for this messy situation.

It is totally within your right to log a dispute with ebay and I can certainly understand that you or I cannot afford to lose the amount of money in question as I too have a young family; however it seems we are now in a catch 22 situation, as you cannot prove that you have not used the machine and broken it and I cannot prove (although I am certain) that I did not send the unit to you damaged.

I can only speculate as to what could have happend to the unit when it left my possession. It may have been dropped in the depot or by the delivery man etc.
If I had wanted to deceive you I could have A) received payment and not sent the unit at all or B) not responded to any of your emails.

As we cannot come to a conclusion ourselves, I think the next step now is to allow ebay to handle the situation.

Kindest Regards

keep that e-mail hun and show it to e-bay....she has just given herself up by saying I can only speculate as to what could have happend to the unit when it left my possession. It may have been dropped in the depot or by the delivery man etc.

therefore ...when you sent it it was in working order so she cannot expect her money back.....you did not cover the unit so she will have to ask the delivery man to pay her for the unit that he may have broke.....you have her by the short and curlys and e-bay will say the item was sent in working order so she they cant get you to pay for it....have a good christmas xxx

oh the joys of Ebay

wait and see what ebay decide must be done to resolve it but also be aware that ebay and paypal are two separate companies

i had a bad experience with them and in my case i did feel they took the side of the buyer

Latest posts

Back