eBay refund??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmileNails

Reaction score
Ok so I use eBay regularly.... Had very few problems, any of which has been raised straight away and resolved with no problems.

But just been on tonight and someone has opened a case against me, requesting a full refund for an item not received. I keep all reciepts from post office, but after a while I do bin them. There in lies the problem - I sold the item on the 18th nov - yet it's taken the buyer 6wks to contact me! They said they've emailed me before - they haven't!

I'm an honest seller and will grudge giving a refund when I know iv sent it - but after 6wks, chances r I won't know where reciept is.

Any ideas of what to do?? Iv replied asking why it's taken so long for them to contact me. :(

Ok so I use eBay regularly.... Had very few problems, any of which has been raised straight away and resolved with no problems.

But just been on tonight and someone has opened a case against me, requesting a full refund for an item not received. I keep all reciepts from post office, but after a while I do bin them. There in lies the problem - I sold the item on the 18th nov - yet it's taken the buyer 6wks to contact me! They said they've emailed me before - they haven't!

I'm an honest seller and will grudge giving a refund when I know iv sent it - but after 6wks, chances r I won't know where reciept is.

Any ideas of what to do?? Iv replied asking why it's taken so long for them to contact me. :(

I didnt think you could open a case after 4 weeks?
Could you not contact the post office to see if they can tell you if its been delivered?
I have a problem recently with someone on ebay they said the item i had sent them was damaged when it was new when i sent it, they ended up loosing turns out they just didnt like it!!
Im not sure what else you could do, have you spoken to ebay? x

You have something like 60 days for a case after purchase. No receipt = no proof of postage. If you will not prove with tracking number you will have to refund I'm afraid as on eBay buyer is always right and there is very little protection to seller. I used to sell there however, it was over a year ago (still have the receipts tho - but that's the sort of a person I am, lol)

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

I hate eBay & paypal !
My hubby bought me a pandora bracelet with charms earlier this year. I sold it on eBay as it was slightly too big for my wrist & the jewellers wouldn't swap for the smaller size as I didn't go back during the 30 day time limit to exchange.

The person who bought it from ebay paid me £65 & I sent 1st class recorded delivery .. All was fine, he thanked me for receiving it quickly & even left me fab feedback. Fast forward to 2 days later he sent me loads of snotty messages saying bracelet was fake!!!! & that he wanted an immediate refund. I obviously declined as I knew it was genuine - I was waiting outside the shop when my husband bought the god damn thing! when he filed a dispute as item not as stated I even sent a copy of the reciept of purchase to eBay & paypal.... BUT HE WON THE CASE GOT HIS MONEY BACK & KEPT MY BRACELET!!!! Scamming ********

I've complained so many times & even threatened with the police but no reply from eBay/paypal or the buyer. I gave up in the end & will never ever use scam bay again! x

I've heard so many cases of this too, I always thought eBay was ok but I learned a huge lesson! x

I hate eBay & paypal !
My hubby bought me a pandora bracelet with charms earlier this year. I sold it on eBay as it was slightly too big for my wrist & the jewellers wouldn't swap for the smaller size as I didn't go back during the 30 day time limit to exchange.

The person who bought it from ebay paid me £65 & I sent 1st class recorded delivery .. All was fine, he thanked me for receiving it quickly & even left me fab feedback. Fast forward to 2 days later he sent me loads of snotty messages saying bracelet was fake!!!! & that he wanted an immediate refund. I obviously declined as I knew it was genuine - I was waiting outside the shop when my husband bought the god damn thing! when he filed a dispute as item not as stated I even sent a copy of the reciept of purchase to eBay & paypal.... BUT HE WON THE CASE GOT HIS MONEY BACK & KEPT MY BRACELET!!!! Scamming ********

I've complained so many times & even threatened with the police but no reply from eBay/paypal or the buyer. I gave up in the end & will never ever use scam bay again! x

I've heard so many cases of this too, I always thought eBay was ok but I learned a huge lesson! x

Blimey!! Mines comes to about £10 so nothing compared to yours!! But it's just more the principle!!
I didn't send this recorded so no tracking number - just a proof of postage, which has they'r postcode on it.

I guess I'm more annoyed they waited so long!

Bet they've got it and just want to recoup money :(

The buyer has 90 days since purchasing the item to open a item not received or item not as described case.

Paypal/eBay will refund the buyer if you do not have a tracking number to prove the item was signed and delivered to the buyer. It's no good sending first class with a receipt of postage,they have to see a tracking number and signature to close the case in your favour.

I lost £500 selling my old laptop,buyer stated he didn't receive the item and I didn't have tracking etc just sent it normal.

Also I sold a phone last month to a man,he opened a case item not received and I sent eBay the tracking number then that case was closed,then he opened a item not described case saying the item was faulty lol anything to get the item back. Phone was ex contract and perfect working order.

Paypal will give him the money back and I'm out of pocket and a phone.

My advice- do not send anything without it being recorded and signed for otherwise you will have to refund.

paypal and eBay are always on the buyers side so do be very careful x x x x

If you have sent it and still have proof of posting then get a claim form from the post office and put in a claim, then refund the buyer, as you will get a refund from post office, provided you have enough insurance.

I have had to do this a couple of times when tings have gone missing.:lol:

What a pain in the backside!

As for it taking so long, i seem to remember that you can't open a case for "Item not received" for 4 weeks.

I've had a few little problems with eBay too...though mostly it's been good.

I did have one guy give me neutral feedback because he thought a ping pong table was going to be bigger, even though it stated the size on the advert and i know it was right because i measured the bloody thing myself lol xx

What a pain in the backside!

As for it taking so long, i seem to remember that you can't open a case for "Item not received" for 4 weeks.

I've had a few little problems with eBay too...though mostly it's been good.

I did have one guy give me neutral feedback because he thought a ping pong table was going to be bigger, even though it stated the size on the advert and i know it was right because i measured the bloody thing myself lol xx

I thought it was for a week after the delivery time uv stated in your description?? As in, if uv stated 5-7 working days delivery, they'll add on another few days before u can open a case. Iv opened a case within 2weeks of an item not received before.

Anyway - whatevers right, il take this as a lesson learned and send everything recorded in future! Will issue a refund just to get this over and done with :(

Omg nails, that's a helluva lot of money :( feel so bad for u. Seems there is people out there just to scam what they can. Xx

As someone has mentioned if you don't have receipt you will have to refund. I used to sell on eBay a lot and had no problems but in the past year I have had nothing but problems. Unfortunately buyer is always right and if they open a case against you PayPal automatically give you a negative PayPal balance so you kind of have no option but to refund its just pants

These crooks are everywhere, not just on eBay. A couple of months ago a man called up and I picked up the phone to him. He said he wanted to buy "the most expensive kit you have" for his girlfriend. I guess that should have set alarm bells off in my head, but silly me I just thought "oh, how sweet of him, isn't it nice that there are such generous people in this world!" I even friggin wrote how kind he must be in his notes (grrr).

Anyway, we sent out the kit, called him a couple of weeks later at work to check he got it ok and all was well - he confirmed all was fine. A couple of days later we get a chargeback notice through the post. The guy was using a stolen credit card and even though we have proof of delivery, signature, delivery address, his name, where he works, the lot, the police aren't interested and we've had to give back all the money for the kit to the credit card company.

So this thief gets to keep the kit and not pay for it. I know it's not exactly the same but what I am saying is I feel your pain and these thieves are absolutely everywhere. It's so annoying when you know where these crooks live and everything but they're just too small scale for the police to ever bother with.

The only time in life where I wish I was a huge big scary man where I could just show up at their doorstep and ask if there was a problem... :)

These crooks are everywhere, not just on eBay. A couple of months ago a man called up and I picked up the phone to him. He said he wanted to buy "the most expensive kit you have" for his girlfriend. I guess that should have set alarm bells off in my head, but silly me I just thought "oh, how sweet of him, isn't it nice that there are such generous people in this world!" I even friggin wrote how kind he must be in his notes (grrr).

Anyway, we sent out the kit, called him a couple of weeks later at work to check he got it ok and all was well - he confirmed all was fine. A couple of days later we get a chargeback notice through the post. The guy was using a stolen credit card and even though we have proof of delivery, signature, delivery address, his name, where he works, the lot, the police aren't interested and we've had to give back all the money for the kit to the credit card company.

So this thief gets to keep the kit and not pay for it. I know it's not exactly the same but what I am saying is I feel your pain and these thieves are absolutely everywhere. It's so annoying when you know where these crooks live and everything but they're just too small scale for the police to ever bother with.

The only time in life where I wish I was a huge big scary man where I could just show up at their doorstep and ask if there was a problem... :)

Aw what a shame :( thing is, u trust these people!!! I wouldn't have the brass neck to even think about some of these scams!!!

More fool us for being so trusting! Guess in 2012 we will have to have more awareness about us!

I love eBay - I pick up some great bargains for me and my kids.... Got my sons pram for £120 when it was still new in box and in the shop for £900, for example. Most buyers are so genuine but a small minority just ruin it :(

I have quit eBay because I had the exact same thing happen to me as the op. I lost £18 and my item as unfortunately eBay always side with the buyer.

I find eBay full of nasty cheap scammers nowadays

Believe me, it's not just dodgy buyers, sellers can be just as shifty!

Hiya, id ring ebay direct, its a london number, and they are very helpful, just explain ur situation and see what they suggest, they should be able to see all communications xx

They don't always side with the buyer. I sold a sofa and the buyer was trying to get me to pay after to clean it although i stated sold as seen, because he said he sent a courier which was actually an employee of his who called him to double check he could take the sofa, eBay said he reached regulations as he didn't collect himself as I won thank god as it was over a grand!

Believe me, it's not just dodgy buyers, sellers can be just as shifty!

Agreed!! Don't worry - I'm under no illusions to that! X

Hiya, id ring ebay direct, its a london number, and they are very helpful, just explain ur situation and see what they suggest, they should be able to see all communications xx

Thanx- think on this instance I will just refund..... However, since saying I won't be refunding till I get home after the hols to check reciept, Iv heard nothing despite asking for an explanation as to why it's taken so long to complain! I gave that chance as it could have been a simple explanation.... They may have been away etc! Weird one this!!xx

They don't always side with the buyer. I sold a sofa and the buyer was trying to get me to pay after to clean it although i stated sold as seen, because he said he sent a courier which was actually an employee of his who called him to double check he could take the sofa, eBay said he reached regulations as he didn't collect himself as I won thank god as it was over a grand!

Aw thank god u got that sorted!! As iv said, my example pales in comparison to what some of u have lost.... It's just the bloody principle! Lol!
Xx

Latest posts

Back