ebay.......

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

~Nic~

Reaction score
would you or have you ever bought nail supplies from ebay......... I have come across 'Professional nail drills' they look exactly the same as the £200 - £400 ones you see. The prices are aound £50 including the drill bits :eek: and I am really tempted to buy one however wondered what you geeks thought?

Just like most things nail related on flea bay they are cheap poor quality replicas,
i bought my electric nail file from one of the trade shows and it only cost me £99 it was on a special and there was no VAT to pay and it is fab,
i have had and used this for over one year now with no problems (touch wood)
people have had lots of problems with nail goods from ebay,
someone even ended up with a bottle of purple water instead of monomer,
support the authorised distributors hun and buy from them :hug:

Just like most things nail related on flea bay they are cheap poor quality replicas,
i bought my electric nail file from one of the trade shows and it only cost me £99 it was on a special and there was no VAT to pay and it is fab,
i have had and used this for over one year now with no problems (touch wood)
people have had lots of problems with nail goods from ebay,
someone even ended up with a bottle of purple water instead of monomer,
support the authorised distributors hun and buy from them :hug:

The cheek of some people!! I think £99 fo an e file is great.. some of them are just so expensive. And at least this way you have some kind of after service should something go wrong. I'd rather pay the extra than waste my money completely....

would you or have you ever bought nail supplies from ebay......... I have come across 'Professional nail drills' they look exactly the same as the £200 - £400 ones you see. The prices are aound £50 including the drill bits :eek: and I am really tempted to buy one however wondered what you geeks thought?

Hiya i'm training at the moment(doing level 3 beauty) and i've bought various beauty equipmet from e bay and found them to be ok. I've bought a waxing starter kit of there and had deliverly next day, and nail art pens etc. You can get a bargain on there, and its everyone's individual taste, if you want to buy off there. Beats buying £200-£400 for one. I would check there feedback first as well to see what others have to say about there products. Hope this helps.

just wanted to say i bought a drill off ebay. it was great until it stopped working, had it less than a year hadnt used it very often and it can't be fixed, well not for cheaper than the cost of the drill itself. god nos how soo it would have broken if i had be using it every day?????

Hi, I didn't buy a nail drill, but I bought a mobile which didn't work for a year and then tried with a digital camera which produced the worst photos ever seen!!
So I just decided I won't buy more electronic things from ebay!!! I think its a risk. However I bought some nail stripers which I found good but as I said its a risk.:wink2:

I have bought nicnaks off of ebay, nail stickers, canes - oh and my hand trainer at a bargain price compared to new, with no issues :green:.

I personally wouldnt spend more than £50 on ebay on any particular item, and I certainly wouldnt chance ANYTHING electrical from there. But thats my personal choice.

Great for some things, naff for others, I do think sometimes its the luck of the draw. :rolleyes:

Read feedback, and take note if they have less than 100% feedback, there is generally a very good reason why.... hth's
x

oooh yeah, im addicted to ebay in bad way :eek: but im happy to report that (other than spending more money than i probably should) i havent had any problems. I've bought decals and paint, nail polish, oooh just tons of stuff... ive even bought system specific stuff, i acutally jsut bought an 8 pack of nsi thermoshield, the seller is a tech who's switching to CND and has a bunch of unused/unopened NSI prodcuts for sale, so its not all shady business, just be sure to check out the seller, look at their feedback and dont be afraid to ask them WHY they're selling the product if its not a store. As for electronics, I bought a Kupa Mani-Pro ($270 direct from them) for $125 on ebay, it was new, in never-been-used condition, sold by a tech who bought it while she was in school and then got a job at a spa that wouldnt allow her to use an e-file. the best advice i could give you in regards to ebay is to pace yourself!!! theres a lot of good deals and i have to constantly remind myself that i dont NEED stuff lol... but i definitely dont think theres anything wrong with shopping on ebay! good luck and happy bidding:)

oooh yeah, im addicted to ebay in bad way :eek: but im happy to report that (other than spending more money than i probably should) i havent had any problems. I've bought decals and paint, nail polish, oooh just tons of stuff... ive even bought system specific stuff, i acutally jsut bought an 8 pack of nsi thermoshield, the seller is a tech who's switching to CND and has a bunch of unused/unopened NSI prodcuts for sale, so its not all shady business, just be sure to check out the seller, look at their feedback and dont be afraid to ask them WHY they're selling the product if its not a store. As for electronics, I bought a Kupa Mani-Pro ($270 direct from them) for $125 on ebay, it was new, in never-been-used condition, sold by a tech who bought it while she was in school and then got a job at a spa that wouldnt allow her to use an e-file. the best advice i could give you in regards to ebay is to pace yourself!!! theres a lot of good deals and i have to constantly remind myself that i dont NEED stuff lol... but i definitely dont think theres anything wrong with shopping on ebay! good luck and happy bidding:)

I'm afraid I wouldn't agree with this. I think there can be lots wrong with shopping on *bay. Aside from the fact that buying electrical goods from a total stranger without it having been checked as electrically sound being a bit dodgy, I would say that you are NOT guaranteed to get what you think you are buying. Anyone can say anything... I could be a 18 year old student who's left college and selling up when in reality I could have bought a job lot of cr*p and trying to make a profit.

The feedback rating is a good thing to watch for obviously but if someone gets bad feedback for being a poor trader, what is to stop them opening up a brand new account and trading as someone completely different? Nothing at all!!

I buy from there myself.. but I wouldn't spend lots of money on something that I may not be able to take back if it becomes faulty. So I'm not saying that it's not a good place to pick stuff up... I'm saying that it can be a 'dodgy' place to buy certain goods and I certainly wouldn't buy any of my system products from ebay like some of my fellow students have done at college, very risky... jmo :)

Last edited:
Ebay has its place, and on a personal level I check it out regularly and buy and sell - but that is personal/household things. On a PROFESSIONAL level, if it's more than a striper pen or some rhinestones then no.

You have no idea that what you're buying is genuine
You have no comeback if it's not what you expected
The product could be old or have been stored incorrectly
The product could be stolen or illegally imnported
Flammable products are always offered by first class post which is illegal

Also, if you were talking to your hairdresser for example and they told you they's bought scissors and tubes of colour from Ebay what would you think?? We have distributors of products for a reason - use them.

Are you a professional nail tech or not?

Hi, I totally agree with Gilly and Yvette. I too buy cheap, small items from ebay. I normally buy things like glitter and crushed shell, all which have been fantastic, but Nothing more than a couple of pounds. I certainly wouldnt buy anything electrical. When you do this as a business, I feel we owe our clients to at least have proper regulated equipment, even if it is a bit more expensive.

Hope this has helped slightly
Take care

i buy from ebay but only nail art items like the fimo canes or gems, i've bought polishes off there before that were obviously old stock because they were either watery or really gloopy!
i'd never chance buying anything electrical from there, what do you do if it goes wrong?
i also bought a set of airbrushing stencils from ebay about a month ago but i'm still waiting for them to be delivered!
i think its a risk buying stuff off there to use in your business! it might be faulty or you might not even get it!

I bought an e-file of there that looked like the pro-ones, just as the above mentioned. I thought it was great, and was happy with it UNTILL I tried a pro one an discovered the diffrence (I trained with my own so didn't know untill later), such as the noise, the bit-part shook a lot when in use (don't quite know how to describe it, but it kind of drilled so I could feel it in my hand) and the heavyness of the handle.
So point is, yes you could be ok with it untill you try a pro one, and bet the shaking when in use caused a lot of lifting.
So I would not recommend it...

Ebay has its place, and on a personal level I check it out regularly and buy and sell - but that is personal/household things. On a PROFESSIONAL level, if it's more than a striper pen or some rhinestones then no.

You have no idea that what you're buying is genuine
You have no comeback if it's not what you expected
The product could be old or have been stored incorrectly
The product could be stolen or illegally imnported
Flammable products are always offered by first class post which is illegal

Also, if you were talking to your hairdresser for example and they told you they's bought scissors and tubes of colour from Ebay what would you think?? We have distributors of products for a reason - use them.

Are you a professional nail tech or not?
completely agree my mum is a ebay addict she gets loads off there she ahs lovely vases and tiffany lamps clothes xmas pressies the lot. but i agree when it comes to professional products by from a repuatable distributor, after all if its contaminated in some way you'd have no come back it would be on your shoulders is your rep worth the risk???

aww it's so sad that everyone seems to hate EBAY. I have my ebay shop and thats not rubbish crap and i also buy from there, i have had stencils and nail art gems. i'm not sure i would buy anything big although when i closed my first hair and beauty salon i sold all my equipment as a job lot the buyers got a bargain and my house was no longer cluttered lol. so i do think it's good for certain things.

Last edited:
aww it's so sad that everyone seems to hate EBAY. I have my ebay shop and thats not rubbish crap and i also buy from there, i have had stencils and nail art gems. i'm not sure i would buy anything big although when i closed my first hair and beauty salon i sold all my equipment as a job lot the buyers got a bargain and my house was no longer cluttered lol. so i do think it's good for certain things.

I don't hate Ebay at all, far from it - I buy all sorts from there for me personally. What I wont do or recommend is that you buy professional nail products from there.

I've had a quick look at your shop and it looks lovely - just the sort of thing I browse for hours on Ebay.......! Ebay has it's place but not as a distributor of professional products!!!!!

aww thank you. well seen as i'm going to b kicked out of my salon in a month! i need some business from somewhere! hope xmas kicks in!

I like ebay. I have bought alot of stuff from ebay and I have only ever had one problem in over 2 years. I also advertise my treatments on ebay and get alot of work through it as people do look and use ebay now and it is alot cheaper than advertising in local papers.
but I always check feedback and check any bad or negative feedback they might have before buying.

I cant really understand why tech's wanna buy products from ebay or anyone who isnt there supplier and if cost is your problem SAVE. A fool and his money are easily parted as sometimes, sometimes you end up buying twice.
If I wanted to make money on ebay I'd say I was closing down or a newbie who bought the wrong thing yadda yadda yadda!
Buy within reason girls with caution!

I dont see anything wrong with it personally, for electronics, all you have to do is email the seller before you bid and get a guaranteed refund policy, if you ever needed to use it and they dont comply, ebay's trust and safety team, or paypal's buyer protection people will help you out. as far as professional products, i dont see it any differently than as if another tech in my salon was switching systems and wanted to sell me her leftovers for a discount, sure you dont presonally know the person youre buying from on ebay, but if they have great feedback whats the problem? worse case scenario; you return the product to the buyer! I dont think its unprofessional at all, from a business standpoint (as long as you are only buying never-used/sealed products) i think its smart to save money where you can!:green: My friend owns an italian restuarant and they acutally got all of their major kitchen applicances (commercial ovens, freezers, ect..) from ebay, do you think thats unprofessional? i sure dont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back