ebay.......

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont see anything wrong with it personally, for electronics, all you have to do is email the seller before you bid and get a guaranteed refund policy, if you ever needed to use it and they dont comply, ebay's trust and safety team, or paypal's buyer protection people will help you out. as far as professional products, i dont see it any differently than as if another tech in my salon was switching systems and wanted to sell me her leftovers for a discount, sure you dont presonally know the person youre buying from on ebay, but if they have great feedback whats the problem? worse case scenario; you return the product to the buyer! I dont think its unprofessional at all, from a business standpoint (as long as you are only buying never-used/sealed products) i think its smart to save money where you can!:green: My friend owns an italian restuarant and they acutally got all of their major kitchen applicances (commercial ovens, freezers, ect..) from ebay, do you think thats unprofessional? i sure dont.

This is totally your perogative but it is not something I would recommend for everything. I, for one, feel that it is taking a risk with some items and for me, just isn't worth the hassle. Take the e file someone bought as an example... shaking, vibrating and rattling and unless you'd used a professional model, how would you know there was anything wrong with it? The thought of using a piece of equipment like this on a clients nails scares the eeby jeebies out of me :eek:

I'm all for saving money and that's why I'll be taking some with me to pro beauty this weekend in the hope of picking up a bargain or two (perhaps a bargain e file likeyours loubylou :)

I actually have a shop myself so it's not as if I'm scare mongering or anything, just cautious I think :lol:

I dont see anything wrong with it personally, for electronics, all you have to do is email the seller before you bid and get a guaranteed refund policy, if you ever needed to use it and they dont comply, ebay's trust and safety team, or paypal's buyer protection people will help you out. as far as professional products, i dont see it any differently than as if another tech in my salon was switching systems and wanted to sell me her leftovers for a discount, sure you dont presonally know the person youre buying from on ebay, but if they have great feedback whats the problem? worse case scenario; you return the product to the buyer! I dont think its unprofessional at all, from a business standpoint (as long as you are only buying never-used/sealed products) i think its smart to save money where you can!:green: My friend owns an italian restuarant and they acutally got all of their major kitchen applicances (commercial ovens, freezers, ect..) from ebay, do you think thats unprofessional? i sure dont.

What if the product is unopened but is 5 years old and has been stood in direct sunlight? When wold you find out? Only down the line when you are getting service breakdown but haven't changed anything.......

What if one of your clients develops an allergic reaction from your Ebay product? Your insurance is invalid and your distributor/product manufacturer wont help you out......

How are your distributors meant to stay in business if techs buy from Ebay? Have you ever wondered how they run a business?

Finally, before you say 'email the seller and it'll all be ok', have you ever considered that people might lie to get you to buy something???

I can only stand by my own belief and that is I will never buy PROFESSIONAL products from Ebay. You obviously apply your own ethics to your business.

You are so right Vetty. There are, from time to time, moans and groans about product performance on this site. If it were my problem, I'd go back to my supplier and I often wonder if the products were purchased on e-bay.

I would hate to run the risk of carrying out a service on a client not really knowing what I was using on them - it wouldn't seem tight.

ok you guys make some good points! i still think as long as you're smart about your purchases you'll be fine. and yes I think just contacting the seller is fine if you're not satisfied with the product, afterall you shouldn't buy from anyone with less than perfect feedback anyway. be smart and you'll be fine! and id just like to clarify about buying system specific product, like I said, I've bought topcoat, I've also bought files and tips, but i certainly wouldn't purchase anything major like liqud or powder from anyone but my distributor. however I don't think buying extras occasionally when I see a good bargain is wrong at all, and I certainly don't think its going to put my distributor out of business:p $30 off my next order maybe? lol. I don't view it any differently than running down to Sallys for a bottle of topcoat in the middle of a busy day where you suddenly run out. and as for my e-file, possibly I did take a gamble, im definetely not denying there's tons of cheap knockoffs on ebay, but I bought mine from a private seller, not an ebay store with 100 listings for the same discounted machine. I was very familiar with my e-file before I bought mine on ebay, as I had used the exact same model while I was an employee and when I began renting my station I had to buy my own. I do understand how an inexperienced tech wouldn't know the difference and I wouldn't encourage anyone with little knowledge about a product to purchase one without going straight to the distributor anyway:)
Posted via Mobile Device

So you've been lucky and that is cool and you have some standards where pro products are concerned BUT many do not.

As for me, when I am using a product on someone's body I want to be 100% sure where it came from and that place being a bonified distributor of my brand from my own country.

this has made an interesting read...I have used ebay before for buying and selling but I would never buy anything electrical nor anything professional. I have noticed lots of Creative nail supplies from Cyprus and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Its a great site for picking up books - I got the nail encyclopedia and the Nail structure and product chemistry book and also my nail trainer from there at a bargain price although that's as far as I'd go. My hubby has a saying that has stuck with me and that is 'BUY CHEAP BUY TWICE' and he is so right!!

Buying new products from ebay is no different to buying them from a supplier from a professional magazine/catalogue. you have no idea how long the stock has been in the store room, you have no idea if it is faulty when it is delivered and some call centres you can never get an answer when complaining about stock at least with ebay you have back up with paypal for a refund. with no hassle from customer service etc. each to their own.

Buying new products from ebay is no different to buying them from a supplier from a professional magazine/catalogue. you have no idea how long the stock has been in the store room, you have no idea if it is faulty when it is delivered and some call centres you can never get an answer when complaining about stock at least with ebay you have back up with paypal for a refund. with no hassle from customer service etc. each to their own.

I'm sorry to sound argumentative here but this is factually incorrect. If you buy from a recognised distributor you have total comeback if the item if faulty - it's called Trading Standards. If you buy from a pro magazine or catalogue that wont answer calls then you are dealing with the wrong people.

I buy 95% of my professional products from Sweet Squared and I know they will both answer my call and take any issue I have seriously. But then that's one of the reasons I use the best product going distributed by the best in the business. If you think dealing with Ebay-selling law-breakers is better for your business then carry on. I hope you never need your insurance because it is invalid if you use products bought from Ebay....... Good luck.

I'm sorry to sound argumentative here but this is factually incorrect. If you buy from a recognised distributor you have total comeback if the item if faulty - it's called Trading Standards. If you buy from a pro magazine or catalogue that wont answer calls then you are dealing with the wrong people.

I buy 95% of my professional products from Sweet Squared and I know they will both answer my call and take any issue I have seriously. But then that's one of the reasons I use the best product going distributed by the best in the business. If you think dealing with Ebay-selling law-breakers is better for your business then carry on. I hope you never need your insurance because it is invalid if you use products bought from Ebay....... Good luck.

IMO Vetty, you have no need to feel sorry for being argumentative, what you are saying is entirely valid and 100% true.

I too only ever purchase from Authorised distributors, mainly Sweet Squared and not only are they there to answer the phone and take issues seriously but you also know that they will offer help with ANY problem you may have both product wise and troubleshooting, but you can also bet your bottom dollar that they will always give speedy service and if you have any problems they will be sorted ASAP.

Who can say this when dealing with someone from Ebay, IMO it is more luck than judgment then...........

My main concern in regard to this is the well being of my client. Of course, every other factor is important too but this is THE main thing for me.

Well being of the client applies to monomer and polymer too in my book. I'm not overly experienced and I'm by no means an expert, however, I'm sure it is not difficult to fake Creative, NSI or Ezflow containers just as it is possible to fake Chanel, Gucci, Prada etc., authenticity of your products is not guaranteed. I would be too concerned at whether it was actually nsi monomer or polymer.. it could be MMA for all we know. I know it's extreme but I, for one, would prefer to buy my polymer and monomer from the authorised distributor for the brand I use.

This sounds like a situation where people will have to just agree to differ. :)

Buying new products from ebay is no different to buying them from a supplier from a professional magazine/catalogue.
It's highly doubtful that the ebay seller has paid import taxes on the products they sell. Authorised distributors have to pay those charges, along with advertising costs and many more charges incurred when doing things legally and 'by the book'. Some of those costs are passed to us, their client, and in turn some of those charges are passed on to our clients, they should be included in the service cost and overhead costs.

you have no idea how long the stock has been in the store room,
Any distributor worth their salt won't have old stock sitting in their warehouse.

you have no idea if it is faulty when it is delivered and some call centres you can never get an answer when complaining about stock at least with ebay you have back up with paypal for a refund. with no hassle from customer service etc. each to their own.
If I suffered those problems with my distributor then I'd be looking to change brands and choose an authorised distributor who answers complaints, gives me fantastic customer service, provides back up and support, offers excellent training and is a 'partner' in my business. You won't get that if you buy from ebay!

I use Ebay all the time for all sorts of things... except electrical. Even though the ad states that 12 month warranty comes with the item, the warranty will differ from a warranty in your own country. Completely different guidelines and standards, also very expensive to send back to seller for fixing. Not worth it in my opinion.

Kate

I go on e-bay to compare prices for clothes in shops and games for consoles...... and i have found they are more money than in the shops :eek:

I go on e-bay to compare prices for clothes in shops and games for consoles...... and i have found they are more money than in the shops :eek:

That is what most people tell me too!!

I have bought stuff like rhinestones and nail art bits from ebay, and i agree with everyone that buying "professional" products from ebay is a definate no.
BUT i have noticed that there are quite a few ebay shops not individuals that sell quite vast amounts of top brands products and i personally dont believe that every branded product sold on ebay in "shops" like these are fake.
I have wondered for sometime now where these people get the products from in the first place, are they stolen? are they buying from the manurfacturers? are they buying from a distributor ? have they "dropped off the back of a lorry" ?
Like i say i dont think buying professional products from ebay is professional but the people selling them must get them from somewhere, maybe it is old stock that is sold off cheap etc ,i dunno, but it is something that ive wondered about.
If manufacturers only sell to distributors then surely it should be almost impossible for anyone else to buy these professional products except from their offical distributor.

Haze x

I have bought stuff like rhinestones and nail art bits from ebay, and i agree with everyone that buying "professional" products from ebay is a definate no.
BUT i have noticed that there are quite a few ebay shops not individuals that sell quite vast amounts of top brands products and i personally dont believe that every branded product sold on ebay in "shops" like these are fake.
I have wondered for sometime now where these people get the products from in the first place, are they stolen? are they buying from the manurfacturers? are they buying from a distributor ? have they "dropped off the back of a lorry" ?
Like i say i dont think buying professional products from ebay is professional but the people selling them must get them from somewhere, maybe it is old stock that is sold off cheap etc ,i dunno, but it is something that ive wondered about.
If manufacturers only sell to distributors then surely it should be almost impossible for anyone else to buy these professional products except from their offical distributor.

Haze x

I think exactly the same. I buy decleor skin care for my own personal use (not from ebay might I add) and I have seen quite a lot of Decleor products on there, some items being 20 odd quid cheaper than from where I purchase it from. HOW? I came up with assumption it is old stock...but would Decleor sell on old stock?? I think not! I've already said on this thread that I do use ebay, but only for things that 'don't go off'!! As in books..I got a bundle of new creative nail files...my nail trainer etc.

The cheek of some people!! I think £99 fo an e file is great.. some of them are just so expensive. And at least this way you have some kind of after service should something go wrong. I'd rather pay the extra than waste my money completely....

I have looked at some beauty products on ebay and I read that if the products cost the same as retail or trade prices that means that they may not be genuine because prices on ebay should be much cheaper than prices from the original company. :idea:

I have looked at some beauty products on ebay and I read that if the products cost the same as retail or trade prices that means that they may not be genuine because prices on ebay should be much cheaper than prices from the original company. :idea:

I have often wondered if some people buy them from the manufacturer at discounted prices or seconds event, then sell them at rrp.

There seem to be a lot from the usa that are a lot cheaper which could mean that they are just cheaper to buy in America that wouldn't surprise me one bit.

oh god this is so true,
I got my daughter a pair of High school musical shoes for school,
From woolworths they were £8, saw someone on ebay selling them as "rare" (my ass) they were on £14 when I looked think it was about £4 postage, and still over 1 day left on them...

Total madness !!!!!
Its good ol' woolies there is millions of woolies about the place including the petrol or bus fair to one, would still have worked out much cheaper lol

I think this will have to be one of those "agree to disagree" situations.

I think ALOT of people buy & sell from on Ebay off this site but are too embarrassed to admit to it.

I buy and sell off of Ebay and after 4 years of trading - touch wood - I have never had a problem.
I had a bad stint last year and sold tonnes of my stock, including liquid & powder. I knew I had a contaminated 3/4 full pot of 2.3oz of powder and DID NOT sell this, I just chucked it. Obviously I can't guarantee who buys my things - but the site is run on good faith. People will not agree with me selling stock but it's my choice. Plus, many MANY techs do check ebay and will always look for a great bargain. And I try and be as honest as I can.
I haven't actually bought any liquid or powder from there, but defo nail art stuff and a nail drill for £30! I've had it a year and it works a treat! (I did get training!) I got my nail table & chairs (2nd hand) and my couch brand new. The couch was £119 inc delivery, easy to adjust, thick & comfy!
I've bought clothes, shoes, computer games, DVDs, books, coins, wool (im sad) toys, general equipment and get clothes hand made from abroad! Just loads & loads!

And those of you who talk of "no guarantee" for drills - People who buy them from ebay pay £30-£50 for one..... If mine broke down, I would chuck it and just buy another!

I am all for supporting distributors - but that's generally just Sweet Squared for me to be honest. But even then, I still always go to the 'bargain section' in london!! lol

Anyway, my point is there are trusted sellers on Ebay, and obviously dodgy ones. But some people have nightmare stories and others have great bargain finding ones! Don't forget, people are 10 x more likely to bitch than tell about something great that happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back