Eczema and extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sue

Reaction score
Okay everybody - would you treat a client who has eczema? What problems do you forsee. At the moment the girl has itchy sore fingers - I said that until that subsides it would be unwise to apply nails/acrylic.

Any thought on this subject warmly welcomed folks.

Thanksyou
Sue http://uk.msnusers.com/NailMates
xxx

Excema is a skin condiditon, and unless it is affecting the nail bed or the tissue immediately surrounding the nail plate, there is no reason why it should contra-indicate you doing the client's nails.

Of course the degree to which she is suffering from this sad condition does come into the equasion. But as long as her fingers are not blistered or weeping and you take in to account the above and you take great care in your application, you should not be worried about the products aggravating the situation.

Hi Sue,

I too have a friend who suffers from eczma who would like nail extension.

Her nails are not affected, but she does use her nails to scratch at the infected areas.

Would scratching the infected areas with nail extensions cause her any other problems other than she should avoid scratching the area even with natural nails?

Do you have any thoughts on this geeg???

Regards,

Karen

I suffer from the dreaded eczema and scratch (even though Im not supposed to!) it with extensions. Makes no difference whether the nails are fake or natural because scratching it anyway with anything makes it worse!! Strong willpower is what you need..I have none! *scratch scratch*

xxlaylaxx

Cheers Layla, that's put my mind to rest.

Kx

Just a thought
we so this for any client who has excema or contact dermatitis.

Maybe you could do a patch test. To see whether the product you will be using is an irritant and worsens her condition.
Apply product to a Hypo allergenic plaster let it dry and then put plaster on the inside of her arm wait for 48 hours. then check if there is any redness or swelling, recheck again after another 48 hours so see if there is any remaining redness or swelling. Maybe this is an idea. As they say if in coubt ask the Doc.
Love Ruth

I have a client with eczema who has been wearing acrylics for about 3 years. The only thing I have to watch is no hand cream. I can use cuticle oil on her but no hand massage, etc. The only thing she can use without breaking out is sorbolene cream.

I'm sorry to contradict and please don't think me rude but, a nail technician must never play doctor and certainly absolutely never make her own patch test to test a client.

For a start, nail products should never touch the skin. No 2, there are many many chemicals in each product and a patch test would not determine which chemical was causing the reaction.

This is a dangerous thing to suggest to anyone to try and we as nail technicians should never attempt it.

Once cured, having nail extensions will not affect a person suffering from excema.

We have been told many many times by suffers that SolarOil (a natural anti inflammatory) calms down the itch and in many cases the condition improves with its use because there is less scratching and less anxiety because of that. SolarOil ia 100% natural botanical oils - try it.

Hi Geeg,
Nope I didn't think you rude, quite the reverse. :D
With regards to the patch test , the product that would be applied to the plaster would be fully cured before it would touch the skin. Not wet and uncured. This is to see if the complete product would cause a reaction later on. I was advised some time ago by the Allergy Foundation to do this
simple test, when I asked them about Excema and the effect that Resin might have , for our Fibreglass and Silk clients.
It's the same procedure, as we would do if we where to test a client to see if they are allergic to eyelash dye in our beauty room.
But if I got this wrong then, no more patch tests for me lol
cheers for the Info
love Ruth xx

I'm sorry Ruth if I didn't understand you correctly. The important thing is that the product must be 'cured' completly. I didn't comprehend that point. :?

I have seen so many technicians in the past try to play what I call 'bathtub' chemistry with 'uncured' product and it is not their job.

I'm so glad you cleared that up and made that point clear. Cured product there is NO problem.

It would also be reasonable to appy one nail only to see if any irritation occured. Any reaction would be visable within 12-24 hours.

Thanks for taking my comments so professionally. I would so like to meet you and your family one day - I always enjoy your posts very much.

I have seen so many technicians in the past try to play what I call 'bathtub' chemistry with 'uncured' product and it is not their job.
This made me :D giggle, bathtub chemistry, the only thing that I think should go in a bath tub is loads and loads of bubble, a rubber duck and a nice Soldier(but he would have to sit on the pluggy bit). I do love a uniform lol

I am glad we got this sorted. :thumbsup: Must dash have a meeting with the addicted to Solar oil:rainbow: support group, a bit like AA only much nicer smelling.

Love Ruthxxx

:D :D :D LMAO!! You NUTTER Ruth!

xxlaylaxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back