Eczema around eye area

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombini

Reaction score
I have started to get really bad eczema around my right eye, its around the outer edges and its driving me mad as my eye make up is flaking off, & my eye is scaley & red.

Im using a clarins eye cream at the moment and just wondered if there are any sensitive eye creams i could use or would i be better off not using any at all on that area ? Ive not suffered from anything like this before, the doctor has given me eye drops but ive finished the course and its even worse than before :cry:

I have started to get really bad eczema around my right eye, its around the outer edges and its driving me mad as my eye make up is flaking off, & my eye is scaley & red.

Im using a clarins eye cream at the moment and just wondered if there are any sensitive eye creams i could use or would i be better off not using any at all on that area ? Ive not suffered from anything like this before, the doctor has given me eye drops but ive finished the course and its even worse than before :cry:

Aw that sounds sore hun :hug:

Did the doctor say it was definitely eczema? If you have finished the treatment he's given you, but your eye is no better, then the best thing would be to go back and let him have another look before it gets worse.

Thinking about it, if you've continued to wear eye makeup that might have exacerbated the condition and be the reason it hasn't improved. I know when I had an eye infection (not the same as eczema, I know) a couple of years back, my doctor ordered me not to wear contact lenses or eye makeup for two weeks, so I had to walk around looking very plain! It did the trick though:green:

Hope you're better soon...x

Yes said it was either eczema or hayfever ! but 90% sure is eczema as it flakes or words to that effect

I thought the same about the eye make up so i tried not to put eyeshadow on unless i was going out so just been wearing mascara, do you think it could be my make up & somehow its become contaminated ?

I am going back to doctors this week so hopefully they will have a new solution ! :)

....do you think it could be my make up & somehow its become contaminated ?....
:)

Ooh no hun, I didn't mean that! And if it's only you who uses your mascara then there's not much chance of it being contaminated.

I just meant that any foreign objects near/on/in your eyes is probably not a good idea when they're p*ssed off eyes! Even your usual mascara can become an irritant when your eyes are feeling sensitive.

I hate to be the bearer of awful news but perhaps go without mascara for a while :eek: :eek: :eek: (I know...I couldn't stand it either!!)

Ask your doc though hun, he'll be able to tell you whether you should/shouldn't be wearing it :green:

I suffer with excema and one of my problem areas is round the eye if I don't look after it. I found Guinot's Longue Vie Yeux to be excellent. It contains 46 biologically active vitamins and minerals. It was tested in a French burns unit, and can help to speed up cellular regeneration.
Longue vie mains is a hand cream with the same active ingredients and when my excema gets bad on my hands, usually during winter it's the best thing to use without my skin reacting.
PM me if you want me to send you a sample of the eye cream, then you can get it from a local salon to you.:hug:

Hello,

Does the clarins eye cream have retinol/retin A in it as I have known this (in a different eye cream) to cause contact dermatitis in a client that was allergic to it. If not it may have something else in it that doesn't agree with you. Did the reaction start before or after you started using the eye cream? If it is after then you may just be allergic to that particular brands ingredients. Also if it is at the side of the eye it may be a face cream that you are spreading near to the eye that is causing the irritation.

x

Thanks for your advice, im not sure about the ingredients for the eye cream as ive thrown the leaflet away ages ago. It started a couple of months ago but has got worse over the past few days by spreading underneath my eye whereas before it was just the corner.

I have been using the same eye cream & facial products for quite some time, i can't think of anything else it could be....

It's difficult as sometimes you can get a reaction from a product even after a long period of time with no problems-anoying really! You can try applying a cold eye pack to take the redness down. The chemist should be able to give you something to help with the flaking. Sorry I can't help more x

I have had the same problem!! I was working in a Beauty Spa when it first appeared and had never had it before either. I went to the Doctors and was given hydrocortisone cream - this cleared it up almost stright away but then it returned and everytime it returned it got worse and worse - so I looked into eczema in more depth - done a bit of my own research! And decided to go for a more natural approach - I had homeopathy and after a few weeks - it cleared up and stayed away - I would definitely recommend it!

Ok, I have not read all the replies so I apologise if this has alreay been said. But Aloe Vera Sap WILL clear this up in no time. You are all prolly so sick of me bleating on about the miracle that is Aloe Vera Sap. But I have seen it work so many times on my son. Everytime he gets a touch of Exzema I apply the sap daily (all throughout the day) and it heals it up so quickly. He tends to get exzema around his eyes too babe. hth xxx

It is around my eye that my excema flares up most frequently.I use the tiniest dab of betnovate twice a day to clear it up in no time.To avoid future outbreaks,do not use powder eye shadows as they are too drying,use an eye makeup remover wich is oil based and for sensitive skin.I also find a very rich eye cream is also a great preventative measure when used twic daily.When all of the above fails....... i know i shouldn't .......... but i hit the sunbed and voila ! ........ gone in no time !Hth xxxxx

It sure is hun,but you have to remeber to moisturise like it's going out of fashion pmsl !!!!!

Thanks for your suggestions :hug: I will check out the products suggested.

Also whats betnovate ?? and andrelax when you say aloe vera sap is that the plant or some sort of cream ? Because ive got a huge aloe vera plant in the window so i will be made up if its that !!

Just thought id add that i tried Solar Oil last night, it took away the redness & stopped me scratching like a mad man !!

So im hoping that in a few days time the flakey bits will clear up to, good job ive got a huge bottle to keep me going :)

Betnovate is a steroid cream,comes in the form of a cream or emoilient (sp ) get the cream one hun ! Good luck xxxxx

How pleased am I to know that other people get this too!

I have to use a mixture of solar oil and hydrocortisone cream too! You must be aware that Hydrocortisone thins the skin if used too much!

K x

How pleased am I to know that other people get this too!

I have to use a mixture of solar oil and hydrocortisone cream too! You must be aware that Hydrocortisone thins the skin if used too much!

K x

:eek: :eek: Thanks for that i think i will give the hydrocortisone a miss then ! I have already noticed the skin around the affected eye looks more lined and thinner than my left eye.

Still using the solar oil which is improving it but when i tried aloe vera it started stinging :cry:

Thanks for your suggestions :hug: I will check out the products suggested.

Also whats betnovate ?? and andrelax when you say aloe vera sap is that the plant or some sort of cream ? Because ive got a huge aloe vera plant in the window so i will be made up if its that !!

Hi Juliette,

Yep thats what I meant! xxxx

The Aloe made it sting!!! Oh gosh!! Hmmmm, the skin around the eyes are must be very thin in that case and possibly broken. Never had that happen before and as I said, I use it on my son daily and he is 3 (with very delicate skin). Sorry to hear that sweet. xx

Having said all that, Aloe is quite potent. My gran used to boil it in the stove with water and bathe her son in that (cleared up his exzema). You could do this and then wash your face with it, effectively "watering" it down.

Latest posts

Back