Editors Letter - What has she done to my business!?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Reaction score
Please take the time to read this, I really need some advice!!!
It is important that you know everything!

After searching for a suitable place to advertise my business...........

I officially 'launched' my mobile business in June this year, with an advert in a glossy booklet thing, which is deliverd to 10,000 homes in my area.

The Editor / owner said that I would be in the 'Health & Wellbeing' section, next to an advert for a lady offering Bowen Therapy.
I said that I was VERY happy with this, as it was right at the front of the book (It would stand out in this section as it was so colourful compared to the other ads).

The cost is £74 per month - so quite expensive really, but it looks good and she offerd me 2 months @ £61, so I thought I would give it a go - I would be in the front and it looks very professional after all.

So, I arranged and sent her the text and Image that I wanted, she put the bits together and all seemed fine, so of it went to print.

Month 1
On arrival through my door in June, I searched and searched for my ad. It was right at the back under 'shops and services'. Not only that, but my job title read 'Creative Nail Design Technical!
I called her and said that there was an error - which whilst I agreed that I hadn't noticed it myself when I had approved it; I also pointed out that I had been very careful to check the origional text for spelling mistakes before sending it to her..... it had said technician. You don't expect people to add spelling errors!!
Anyway, I wasn't nasty as she was quite right - I had missed it - we live and learn!

She said that she would correct it straight away, bofore she forgot. Good - that's sorted!
So then I gently told her that I was unhappy that she hadn't put me in the section that she had sold to me.
Her explanation was ........ after some thought, she had decided that I was a service and didn't belong in heath and wellbeing!! :mad:

I pointed out to her that we are ALL services!!!!
And that what I do, does promote a huge sence of wellbeing!
Cheeky cow!! :lol:

So after all that, she agreed to put me in the section that she had sold me and to correct the spelling error. Happy days!!

JULY - MONTH 2
One isn't deliverd (don't know why!) but she sends me one with my invoice.
It is in the right section, two pages in :green:......... looks lovely!
Still says Technical!!!!

At this point I had only had one responce to the advert, which was from a man who wanted his toenails polished :cry:.

So I call her again. I explain that I am disappointed that the mistake is still there as I feel that it makes me look unprofessional and say that I am not thinking of renewing as responce has been poor......... perhaps people don't want a 'technical' to come and do their nails!!?

She offerd me a third month at £61 and said that she will write a bit about me in the Editors Letter, hoping to boost my responce.

OK, sounds good.... one more month. Since then, I have to add, I have gained 2 clients from this advertisement.

AUGUST EDITION - MONTH 3
It came through the door yesterday.
Looks fantastic - No spelling mistake!! Yay!!!

I flick to the front and start to read the Editors Letter. Great, she did mention me!......... so I read what it says.........

'Lauri is set to bring her kit over for a spray tan session, a great excuse to hold a 'spray tan party', you can decide either to be as dark as Bob Marley or as golden as Meera Syal, Lauri also does pedicures and manicures to get you ready for the summer.'

I am DEVASTATED!!!
'you can decide either to be as dark as Bob Marley or as golden as Meera Syal!!' :eek:
NO YOU CAN'T!!!!
You can decide to look like neither Bob Marley or Meera Syal!!!!
You can look like a sun kissed, healthy, just got back from Ibiza version of yourself!!!

If she wanted to use a celebrity name, why not use one who actually has a sun tan!!!?

I don't know what to do.
I am worried that this will damage my business........ I mean my spray tan clients tend to be people who NEED TANS!! Not many of them would want to leave with anything other than a natural looking glow!
If I said 'right pop in the booth, what will it be then? Bob Marley or Meera Syal?' They would run a mile!
How many of you would book me for a spray tan, if you thought that they were your options?!

Not only that, but some could find it offensive! I know I didn't write it, but it surely reflects on me!? I think most people would assume that I would have had a part to play in what she has said.

I am having nightmares, honestly!
I don't know what to do. I don't know what to say to her!
HELP ME!!!!!!!

I can't believe what I've just read!!! The spelling mistakes are one thing but the bit about Bob Marley..................I've never heard the likes of it.

You need to write to her with a formal complaint outlining in brief the nature of your complaint. Then you need to tell her what you want as compensation, ie.1 month free or whatever it is that you do want.

Then, I would type out the ad myself (get someone else to proof read it) and tell her that's what you want put in and nothing more. Also, state the page that you want to be on.

Do all this tonight and also get on the phone to her first thing in the morning. Be polite but firm. Don't feel sorry for her............she's incompetent.

Now sit down, take a deep breath and relax!

Okay here's my take. She has cocked up your advertising from start to finish and so don't ever bother with it again, although you have got business from it and so something worked! But for that money you could have had a colour advert in your Yellow Pages which probably gets delivered to 5 times that distribution, if not more. People hold onto YP and it's in their homes 24/7. Monthly publications can work for some people, but I find that for the money you just can't beat YP.

As to your business being tarnished, she tried to be funny and it really didn't work did it?! But I wouldn't say that it was going to damage your business ... I would have been worried if she had put David D1ckinson (sorry had to put the 1 cos the site edits out the word d1ck otherwise!!!), now that could have ruined you with his orange glow! I think I'd have been more worried with someone saying I was going to bring my kit over ... waiting for some moron to phone me and asked if I got my kit off!!!! I don't think it will reflect on you or your business as it's in the editorial and so they are not your words and if anyone is like me I never bother reading an editorial anyway!

I know it is upsetting when your advert just isn't what you expect but you need to just put this one down to a bad job and move on. Don't let it get you down and no more nightmares! I've been caught out a couple of times with advertising that went tits up, and I vowed that in the end I would only go with Yellow Pages and Thomson local because they are tried and tested and you know they work ... everything else was too much of a lottery!

Onwards and upwards :hug:

I can't believe what I've just read!!! The spelling mistakes are one thing but the bit about Bob Marley..................I've never heard the likes of it.

You need to write to her with a formal complaint outlining in brief the nature of your complaint. Then you need to tell her what you want as compensation, ie.1 month free or whatever it is that you do want.

Then, I would type out the ad myself (get someone else to proof read it) and tell her that's what you want put in and nothing more. Also, state the page that you want to be on.

Do all this tonight and also get on the phone to her first thing in the morning. Be polite but firm. Don't feel sorry for her............she's incompetent.
This is exactly what I feel like doing!!
That's why I'm having nightmares! I'm not used to this level of anger / upset....... I'm a very calm person really.
Thank you for your quick responce!
I am grateful that you took the time to both read and reply. :hug:

Okay here's my take. She has cocked up your advertising from start to finish and so don't ever bother with it again, although you have got business from it and so something worked! But for that money you could have had a colour advert in your Yellow Pages which probably gets delivered to 5 times that distribution, if not more. People hold onto YP and it's in their homes 24/7. Monthly publications can work for some people, but I find that for the money you just can't beat YP.
I have a box advert this year as I didn't feel I could afford anythig else! That seems a joke now!! No responces from that either!! :cry:
I will go for a colour ad next year though.
As to your business being tarnished, she tried to be funny and it really didn't work did it?! NO!! But I wouldn't say that it was going to damage your business I really hope you're right!... I would have been worried if she had put David D1ckinson (sorry had to put the 1 cos the site edits out the word d1ck otherwise!!!), now that could have ruined you with his orange glow!LOL - OK you made your point! I think I'd have been more worried with someone saying I was going to bring my kit over ... waiting for some moron to phone me and asked if I got my kit off!!!! OMG! I hadn't thought of that! :eek:I don't think it will reflect on you or your business as it's in the editorial and so they are not your words and if anyone is like me I never bother reading an editorial anyway! Neither do I TBH!:lol:

I know it is upsetting when your advert just isn't what you expect but you need to just put this one down to a bad job and move on. Don't let it get you down and no more nightmares! I've been caught out a couple of times with advertising that went tits up, and I vowed that in the end I would only go with Yellow Pages and Thomson local because they are tried and tested and you know they work ... everything else was too much of a lottery!

OK, so I get your point! Maybe I need to calm down :rolleyes:
But I will still have to speak to her.......... what do You think I should say Sas?

Thank you both - very very much!:hug:

This is exactly what I feel like doing!!
That's why I'm having nightmares! I'm not used to this level of anger / upset....... I'm a very calm person really.
Thank you for your quick responce!
I am grateful that you took the time to both read and reply. :hug:

OK, so I get your point! Maybe I need to calm down :rolleyes:
But I will still have to speak to her.......... what do You think I should say Sas?

Thank you both - very very much!:hug:

If it were me I would probably stamp my feet for a bit (quite a long bit), put it down to experience and then let it go. I doubt if she would give you a refund, and you certainly don't want any more of her crap advertising, so all you would be doing is wasting negative energy on getting nowhere. If she phones you then say that you have been unhappy with her advertising from start to finish and won't ever bother again - end of!

Now go stamp your feet a bit and then wake up tomorrow with it all behind you :hug:

Wow - what a woman.:eek: That is appalling a you're rightly upset with her total ineptitude!

Is she the owner of the publication? If not, you could contact the owner as she doesn't appear to have any common sense what-so-ever!:rolleyes:

I agree with Sassy, it's probably isn't worth spending the money to advertise with them again so once you have made your complaint then just draw a line under it and move on. Put it down to experience.

As for choosing the right place to advertise who knows, there are alot of differing ideas about that but I wish you so much luck because you deserve it after that woman!:hug:

As to your business being tarnished, she tried to be funny and it really didn't work did it?! But I wouldn't say that it was going to damage your business ... I would have been worried if she had put David D1ckinson (sorry had to put the 1 cos the site edits out the word d1ck otherwise!!!), now that could have ruined you with his orange glow! I think I'd have been more worried with someone saying I was going to bring my kit over ... waiting for some moron to phone me and asked if I got my kit off!!!! I don't think it will reflect on you or your business as it's in the editorial and so they are not your words and if anyone is like me I never bother reading an editorial anyway!

OK, now I do agree with what Sassy says here. . . BUT

I would be LIVID. On all counts. And I wouldn't just let it rest, sorry. I would ask for more editorial (you write it, she prints it maybe? I think it DOES reflect on you. If I read editorial I always think, rightly or wrongly, that the person whose business it is has had something to do with what it says). I think you deserve better than that, so she ought to give you more editorial. Also at least 1 month free.

But at the end of the day if she refuses and gets shirty, it would be better to direct your energies elsewhere . . . but I'd bloody well have a go first!

Good luck xx

Yup I'd be livid too ... and have been when I've been duped by ruddy advertising reps and their false promises! However I have also learnt that they have you over a barrel and unless you want to take them to court they won't blink an eye at your ranting at them .. or even being reasonable with them! they just don't care. And I certainly wouldn't entertain another chance to cock up another advert!

There is no right or wrong way to deal with this as we are all different, but from personal bitter experience I would just move on. If you feel you have the energy for a fight then go for it!

I'm outraged!!
I completely agree with the Brow Queen....

As it took 2 months to get the advert right I would be letting her know I wanted the next 2 months free as they are almost a waste of time if not correct. This is not a small smount of money to pay out every month ans they should appreciate you wanting to advertise in their publication....without people like you there would be no publication.

And as for the editorial, i'm with Blossom, write a small piece about your business and the service/s you offer and then send it to her telling her it was a replacement for the rubbish she wrote.

OMG you must be raging ! The impression I get from reading your post is that this woman doesn't take your business seriously, she has put no effort into your adverts and the bob marley thing is totally bizarre !

I wouldn't place any further adverts with them, instead try local papers, leaflet drops etc.

I can't get over the fact she is the editor !

Unbelievable! :eek:
I think some of these advertising bods just dont appreciate the impact a cocked up advert can have on our businesses. Especially when our advertising budget is small and this may be the only ad we run all year.

Some great advice has been given, and I think I would personally follow Brow Queen's idea of writing a complaint followed by a call asking for free ad plus editorial written by yourself.

When I first started my business, I got 'duped' by one of these mags, not nice. I would personally just pull out completely. I now use local papers, flyer drops and good old fashioned word of mouth to advertise :) I always write my own editorials aswell as no-one can sell yourself as great as you can :)

Just put it down to a great learning curve, its all experience *lol*

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read and reply to, my mega long post!!
I have a lot to think about today!!

keep us posted on what happens...hope it all works out for you xx

If she is not the owner of the mag, get in touch with the owner, if she is the owner tell her you want the next 3 months free and an editor letter apology saying you were not consulted over the coments made previously.

If she refuses then i would threaten her with some 'publicity' of your own ie: local salon ripped off by magazine type letter to the local newspaper! Also she is probably targeting the local area businesses and wont want to lose them. The same happened to me years ago, but unfortunately i signed for direct debit for a 'deal' on rates and when i tried to cancel i was hit with all sorts of legal threats...i had only just set up and didnt know better :irked: ANY advertising i do now is ONLY what i ask for and i never take on any visiting or cold calling reps who are just after their commission.

:hug:Aww bless you,it must be so upsetting but like sassy says put it behind you and start again.Keep us updated if you get anything sorted with her.xxx:hug:

ANY advertising i do now is ONLY what i ask for and i never take on any visiting or cold calling reps who are just after their commission.

That is such sound advice! I also decided after getting tucked up nicely by one company that if I haven't heard of them or seen them then I wouldn't contemplate advertising with them.

I'm sorry to hear about all the problems you've been having with your advertising, however, I must thank you for making me laugh :hug:

I've been having a pretty crappy week and the bit about choosing how dark you want to go (like Bob Marley) just had me in floods of tears with laughter.

The whole office wants to know what's so funny and I can't stop laughing. I know it's a real pain for you, but it has cheered me up endlessly !!!

Marlise

I'm sorry to hear about all the problems you've been having with your advertising, however, I must thank you for making me laugh :hug:

I've been having a pretty crappy week and the bit about choosing how dark you want to go (like Bob Marley) just had me in floods of tears with laughter.

The whole office wants to know what's so funny and I can't stop laughing. I know it's a real pain for you, but it has cheered me up endlessly !!!

Marlise
Don't start me off again.............I nearly wet myself at that.
Can you imagine the headlines if a local paper decided to run with the story.................

We're scamming. We're scamming in the name of the Lord. We're scamming.................

Don't start me off again.............I nearly wet myself at that.
Can you imagine the headlines if a local paper decided to run with the story.................

We're scamming. We're scamming in the name of the Lord. We're scamming.................

Love it !! The tears haven't stopped rolling since this afternoon :lol: :lol:

I just can't get the image out of my head :lol:

Marlise

Latest posts

Back