Education ... confused!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautified21

Reaction score
Hi all, apologies if im in the wrong place or if this has been asked a million times, i have done a search but cant find anything as im not really sure what to search for!!

Ok, so i am very interested in 'doing nails' I am 25, one option, which i have already applied for is doing NVQ2 Beauty therapy at my local college, i would do the 17 week fast track course. (i believe this would be free - 1st nvq2)

The problem is, i really love all things nails, eyelashes, tans and hair extensions. I'm not sure if doing a full beauty therapy course would benefit me as im not interested in doing massage, eyebrows, waxing, facials etc.

The other option would be to do a manicure course with CND, then do a shellac, minx and pedicure course, i realise this would cost a lot more, and personal expense, but it really does narrow down the things that im really interested in. Then in time i would add, eyelash extensions, tans, and possibly eyebrow waxing and maybe hair extensions.

Is there something i am missing, is it just me been naive and thinking its just as simple and selfish as doing 'what i want to do'.... ?? Would i benefit in the long run from having a full NVQ2 in beauty, will it hold me back not having this qualification? I just think it would be a bit easier to do things one at a time, and really get to grips with a certain thing before moving onto another?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long rambly post, i really dont have much idea what to do.

Hi hun, and welcome to the mad world of geek.
I finally started being selfish when I turned 40, so well done for doing it now:biggrin:
No you will not be at a disadvantage by not having an nvq and the option is always there later on if you change your mind.
CND are very highly thought of with in our industry and in your shoes I would do the manicure and pedicure course, I would buy a Beverly hills footie bath.
I've had mine years and it's the best thing ever for pedicures.
Then I'd do the Shellac course.
Then I'd contact Wow factor to do the eye lash course
Nouvatan to do the spray tan course
And if it appeals to you
Kim Lawless The wax queen to learn warm and hot waxing.
Oh, and get your insurance from Salon Gold.
Your biggest problem will be to buy what you need rather then what you want.
Good luck xx

the answer above could be one option, however I think you would really benefit from doing nvq level 2 - as that teaches you manicures, pedicures, eyebrows and spray tan (at least my level 2 did) so you would cover all this rather than doing 1 day courses where I honestly think you don't learn much.

NVQ 2 would give you a confindence and lots of knowledge in the start of your career. Once finished, you could go on shellac and eyelash extension course that you want to do.

Personally I would do Nvq level 2. I have just done Nvq level 2 nail services and it was great learned Mani, pedi, acrylic. Then I did 2 day calgel course, I feel That I did not learn enough on calgel course and still need to master it, there are things I need to ask. Where has being at college you can learn on the weaknesses week after week. Also at college they sometimes offer 1 day work shops where they offer minx, spray tan and piercing which is offered at a reduction price.

You can do nvq level 2 manicuring pedicure and acrylic nails something all nail tech s new and old should consider if they do not have it, for years they have been tightening up about not being able to work or get insurance without level2 nvq and at our school since November we have trained 4 people that have been told that if they do not produce certificates within 6 months they will stop them working and one girl 2 weeks ago that was not even given any time and was closed down , the council have now relented since she has proof from us that she has enrolled to take level 2 . None of these girls are from London , which has had licensing i'n most boughs for years

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to reply to me and for the different opinions.

I think the option im going to go for at the moment, is to go for the enrolment day on the 31st of August, its not guaranteed i'l even get a place as i applied very late in the year, so that will answer my question if i dont get on the course.

Once i've covered the mani/peni section in the course, will i get a certificate for that, or is that just part of the whole nvq certification at the end?

ie if i get something to prove iv done the manicure, i could get myself onto a shellac course, or something similar?

Now im thinking i should of just done the nvq nail services course instead of the full beauty therapy course, never mind, its free, and its only 17weeks, and im sure it will be a good starting place, who knows, i might even love massaging/waxing/facials and hate doing nails?!

Thank you all again for taking the time to reply to help me out
xxx

Latest posts

Back