Education!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Education - is it important?

• No, it's damn easy to do nails - who needs it!

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • No, better to learn from a nail tek in the field..

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Yes, to be good at anything, you need to learn how from the experts

Votes: 336 73.8%
  • Yes, you need formal education... most teks dont take enough meds as it is

Votes: 110 24.2%

• Total voters
julie said:
yes they did. The tutor did say to them when we came back after our practice "that you will be able to see the difference between them who had done 3 sets and me who had done all mine & she was right!!!
julie
That's interesting on my Total Tech course with Star we had to complete a full set in 2 hours with trainer present and be judged by her and if the nais weren't upto scratch then no passs and 2 girls did fail that same day even passsing their theory you had to prove your capabilities....

I was also like Peppercorn Nails - had wanted to do nails 10 years ago and my tech would not tell me how to go about it and said it was only available in USA so no training in UK. Due to health problems over last two years and having to give up my office job, I was amazed to find on net that "Backscratchers" did home training. I did this one day course and was very impressed until the trainer (who was most lovely and is very helpful to me afterwards - no problem there) left me "to it". I quickly signed up to do VCTC at the local college and thank you god it was worth it. I put heart and soul into my course and finished it with flying colours also completing the Nail Art VCTC at the same time. I am floundering with it all have spent a fortune in products and to coin a line from a song writer "I'M NOT WAVING, I'M DROWNING" !!!!!!!!! Have now booked another college course for "IMProvers" starting 27/4/04, hopint this will help as I am really want to "be the best". NOW YOU HAVE READ ALL THAT - a YOUNG FRIEND gave up her job did the backscratchers one day course - nothing else - and is busy making lots of money with an ever increasing database of clients. IS THIS MY AGE (NOW 50) SHE IS 21. Cannot decide what to do - may take CND course at my last ditch attempt but feel like giving up and "REALLY BECOMING OLD AND PENSIONED OFF". - Sorry if I have become boring but is it a confidence thing?

Noz said:
I am floundering with it all have spent a fortune in products and to coin a line from a song writer "I'M NOT WAVING, I'M DROWNING" !!!!!!!!!

In what way are you floundering?? PM me and lets talk about it. You are a perfect age to be doing nails. Lets see if we can get to the bottom of your problems and sort them out!

I found a lot of places 'appeared' offering training and most of it is not indepth enough to give the trainee confidence.

You can do many training 'days' but if there are holes in what is taught then there is a lack of confidence.

Even when you have completed NVQ units and worked hard (as with anything) you want to feel proud and knowledgable, but many training places teach that contradicts itself. Very confusing for the person wishing to learn or worse learn something only to find out it is incorrect.

There are many differences as far as how to do certain treatments and finding a good place to learn - offer of a certificate even after a day and then aloud to get insurance etc is scary.

On a finer note - when you are 'confident' (fav word today) then regular training to keep up with new things etc is a great way of staying at the top.

Never too old to learn as a friend of mine on here said.

A couple of other things!!

Education, practice and the love of what you are doing is a key to a good nail tech in my book.

The best educators are knowledgable have their trainers certification and above all alot of enthusiasum (help spellcheck) which is infectious, and in turn gives you a buzz for learning.

Hi all Two years ago I done a ONE day course which involved nail extensions nail art I was there all day learning how to apply tips, fibreglass and gel then the trainer showed me how to do some nail art. When i came out of there my head was spinning there was so much to learn in such a short space of time. Anyway i started offering this service to clients (i cant believe i actually did that) this service lasted apprx 1 week. I came across so many problems that i did not know how to deal with that i just stopped doing them i hated nails with a vengance said i would never do them again. Then Nov last year i trained with Creative WOW what a difference, i learned how to take the well out, how to make a nail tip fit if its to big, how to make a nail look natural after appling an enhancement and i learned how to do l&p which i think is fab (hard but fab) I would still like to be able to do fibreglass but cant afford it at the mo, hope to be able to book other things with creative to make me a much better tech than i already am. I also would like a bit more confidence before thinking about my masters, but after reading some of the answers to questions on the message board these techs really know their stuff. But guess what girls I now lOVE NAILS NAILS NAILS I eat sleep and drink nails and i love this site it has helped me so much sorry if i went on a bit

hi i did my manicure course years ago when i did my hairdressing training, and it was very thorough on the theory side,not on the practical didnt get shown how to do a french manicure!! but when i did further training (with creative ) i did at least remember some of the anatomy of the nail bed and stuff, so looking back it did helpme in some way, i think it is very important to keep going on courses ,its just they are so expensive,you ususally have to save up to go on em! hence why i aint done any more yet, but i love training i think its ace

i am disgusted i have heard it all today, a friend of a friend has done a one day course, no basic anatomy in the training at all.
she uses superglue to stick the tips on (french white, and full well NOT BLENDED AT ALL) then a lid off the top of a pop bottle to hold her monomer and applys the acrylic with a paint brush, then uses a babys hair brush as a dust brush, and she is charging £20 a set ! :eek:

UNBELIEVABLE !

shropshiredawn said:
i am disgusted i have heard it all today, a friend of a friend has done a one day course, no basic anatomy in the training at all.
she uses superglue to stick the tips on (french white, and full well NOT BLENDED AT ALL) then a lid off the top of a pop bottle to hold her monomer and applys the acrylic with a paint brush, then uses a babys hair brush as a dust brush, and she is charging £20 a set ! :eek:

UNBELIEVABLE !
Hiya,
I'm stunned.......that is disgusting and puts a bad name to us good techs that take pride in what we do.........no wonder there is alot of bad press regarding nail enhancements
Amanda aka Lily

I]Hi Mrs Geek

I would be interested in some form of training/advice when opening a shop. I was trained by Ketan in Hammersmith a few years ago, I now have my masters taken with Debbie at Walkden in Manchester. I have an oppertunity to take over a nail/beauty/sunbed shop :lol: really excited :lol: and very nervous :Scared: I do keep up a 1 2 1 every year just to keep on top of any new ideas and keep an eye on any bad habits. If you know of any courses in the pipe line at Creative I would be interested :wink2:
[/I]

Hi there,

Yes I think that education is extremely important, and I think there should be some sort of legislation. There are too many people out there giving us trained professionals a bad name with shoddy workmanship because they just want to make a quick buck, I personally don't think product should be sold to anyone who hasn't been professionally trained. I feel very strongly abot this because there are those of us who have taken the time to get educated and are passionate about what we do and it matters to us that our clients go away with the most perfect enhancements possible!! - not just because we want them to come back (which of course we do) but because we want to be giving them the best service possible.

I think education is so, so, so very important, the industry of nails need well trained, well educated techs. We HAVE to go to school for at least six months here, if we want to get licensed, while in school after you receive about 100 clock hours (about 1 month) in the classroom, learning theory, anatomy, diseases of the nail, etc you go to the clinic floor which is where you start working on real live clients, you don't get paid, you may get tips, but you gain experience and the people who come in already know that you are training, so they get service done at a fraction of what someone would charge if they were full-fledged professional. When you are done with your client the instructor comes over to inspect and critique your work.

When I started off I didn't start off in school, a friend of mine did my nails (she didn't have a license, but she wanted to do hair, so nails went with it.) I saw what she did...I went to the beauty supply a few weeks later and brought some liquid and acrylic and started practicing on my own nails, my aunties started coming over getting their nails done, people from my church started making appointments, and I decided that I really was enjoying this "nail thing" so I decided to go to school a few years later and learn all I could about it. I did it because I developed a passion for nails, not because I was looking for a fast buck like a lot of so-called nail techs do, honestly, I love nails so much I would sit all day long and do 'em for free if I could.

I get excited when I see a manicuring table, when I see implements, when I get my NailPro magazine (that I still haven't paid my subscription for):o in the mail. I start to salivate at the mouth when I look at someone's hands and see a beautiful set no matter if I did them or not...when I see things I can't do yet, like 3D art and all those other things like sculpting...:eek: I think "Boy, one day, I'll be able to actually DO that, and do it well." And I get excited all over again and that makes me want to train, it makes me want to further my education, it makes me want to do better...and it makes me want to come to this site and be a part of a community of people just as crazy about nails as I am.

Hello all!

Well I am currently half way through my VTCT Diploma which I study at night collage mon weds night and sat morning 11 hours in total which when holding down a full timejob and home is hard work, but well worth it.

When i started the course i was quite surprised by all the hard work it involves, we started off doing manicures and pedicures basic and luxury then we have moved on to nail extensions which cover acrylic, fibreglass, gels, overlays, acrylic over tips also repairs, infills, backfills, and the procedure for removals. Its is all very proffesional as we have clients from the public coming into collage which is really good experience. We have also been taught the basics of nail art and how toget started We have regular exams, assignmnents and assesments.

I really enjoy doing this course and although cant wait to qualify will be sad when it comes to an end!!!

I am on the same course as Louise and am also going to be really sad when its finished, guess I will just have to look for another course !!

well i love education - i cant get enough of it - i know that i can go and do a set of nails with the KNOWLEDGE and EDUCATION if questions are asked. ill ladly show my certs to anyone that asks - wonder how many of the "techs" that buy from boots etc can do the same

CREATIVE EDUCATION ROCKS

I havent read all the posts so sorry if i am repeating what someone else has said (limited time on the net)

To be good at anything you need to practice but to be the best you can be you need the proper training from someone whom is qualified and part of a established and recognised training academy.

I have been told by a very reputable company "If you want a card to buy from us then just take out public liability insurance and bring your certificate in with you" even though at the time i told them i was training and had no formal qualification!

And why is it that you can buy products off the internet and not have to prove that you adequte insurance and training?

Education is paramount.......if it wasn't then we could all run out a buy a Rio set from Argos and live in never never land!!!

Like I told the Naughty Junior...unless you are trained you will one day injure youself or someone else and that is not IF it is WHEN.

Doctors are educated, Dentists are educated...and just like them it is imperative that all Nail Techs are trained to high standards too.

We don't just go to a show room & buy a car & drive out. You have to do a driving test.

And being a nail tek, it's should be just as important to know what you are dealing with esp when you're involving the public.

Mrs Geek said:
There are no laws in the UK on education in nails (yet) ;) ! Certain companies have made it paramount that education is THE most important aspect of becoming a nail tek; NVQ has changed constantly over the past few years and the standards have risen but FACT - ANYONE can go to a local wholesalers and buy product and start working as a nail tek - what do you all think?

Hi everyone!

I only found this site yesterday evening and it has helped me out already. However, please could you offer me some advice. I am not a nail tech but want to learn how to become one. I read a post recommending Creative Nails and visited their site last night. I understand that a foundation course is offered and then Master Classes.

Could anyone tell me what is involved in the foundation course and what extra can be learnt each of the Master Classes please.

Thanks very much,

Jules.

P.S. If I am posting this message in the wrong place please let me know where I should post.

Thanks again!!

You can learn so much from the experts and continually training -keeps you up to date with new techniques and products:green:

Where I am from, you must complete a 400hr course (about 3 months, full-time), in order to become a nail tech. Once you have that course completed, then you can go on to take further eduction... i.e... CND classes, to better your technique.

Latest posts

Back