Education!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Education - is it important?

• No, it's damn easy to do nails - who needs it!

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • No, better to learn from a nail tek in the field..

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Yes, to be good at anything, you need to learn how from the experts

Votes: 336 73.8%
  • Yes, you need formal education... most teks dont take enough meds as it is

Votes: 110 24.2%

• Total voters
I cant imagine not doing training now I want to do this as a living rather than just doing my own nails. The one thing I realise now having been on this site is that the training might actually never end, and if thats what it takes to help me be a better nail tech then so be it.

Most whole salers do not care about training as long as cutomers are coming to buy,they see that as money coming in.Education is definately the key

Florentina Alexander
[email protected]
Nails At Last

I can't imagine not being required to have formal education. I learned so much in my training yet there are so many things left to learn. Education is KEY, I don't mean to sound like a public service announcement or something, but it really is!

For me education is extremely important,the reasons are,as you all propably know because i moan about it so much,i was very disappointed with my initial training an NEED to futher my training to improve,i want to be the best at what i do and also i am the sort of person that needs to be a little stressed lol,i need to learn and be stimulated and push my self otherwise i get bored.I have to learn new things and try new things just to feel at ease,that's why i feel this industry was made for me,with hair and nails there is so much to learn,and discover and with changing fashions i will never be bored again pmsl !

Having just finished my NVQ Level 2 Nail Services, I believe that this is just the backbone to starting my career. I am fully intending to get further training before starting on paying clients, why you may ask, not because I am not confident in my work, I am, but I strongly believe that there is always more to learn and the client is paying for a professional service, and I will not do a job if I cannot do it to the highest standard possible. I believe you should stretch yourself to attain the best possible results, and with professional training that can be acheived.

Joan

I personally wouldn't dream of entering the industry properly until I've done some education, and can't believe there are people out there doing nails (or any beauty therapy for that matter) without education of one kind or another behind them. I also think tat once I've done my foundation and NVQ that sould be seen as the start - there is always something to learn and new products/techniques to master.

To become a doctor, a person needs the proper education and training. The nail industry should be the same! Its too bad that clients are not as picky to choose their nail techs as they are to choose their doctors!!!:irked:

This brings me to a question...
how many of you have 'educated' an individual to become a nail tech?

this is how I see it: I paid good money to get my proper training, get my diploma's and am still paying for new services classes, so why should i charge a stupid price to an individual who would like to get a training. I have NEVER given any classes to anyone and will NEVER do! I feel that if a person is serious about this career, that person should go out and get the proper taining and legitimate diploma's just like anyone does for any other carreer. Tech's that help out each other, and teach each other some technics is more than fine by me! heck, this is what this site is based on, but someone witout any professional training should not be able to call themselves a nail technician.:mad:

awww didn't look properly with my one eye (got a bad eye infection) and ticked the wrong option in the poll.:rolleyes:

ofcourse education is very important. I wouldn't want to go to a nail tech, pedicure or beautician that hasn't got any knowlage of what she is doing.

I voted for Yes, to be good at anything, you need to learn how from the experts

And i really love to take any education classes, especially on design. If I had a chance, I would go to courses every month..

After reading all the stuff on here, I am beginning to wonder if I am too old to learn everything that you all know!
It is all so technical and complicated!
I am starting to feel afraid!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I would be interested if the Creative Entrepener( not correct spelling i know) I have just started in May and I'm finding it really difficult. I would definately be on that course :hug:

Life-Long Learning is sooo important!

I have been in this industry over 10 years now and I commit myself to take Any Education that I can.
I have the attitude.. that if I come away with one new idea or technique from it....I have won hands down!

I too am not regulated. I wish something would change here.

But, I have the luxury to make my way across the border to the United States to take advanced training. (where they have regulations)

Best Regards,
Heather

I voted that you need it as I have come to find out from books and fellow geeks that safety is first. The only way you are going to learn the health risks and safety is from a teacher.

Hey all, im new to this site, i stumbled across it whilst researching information on nails.:D
Im new to nails, im currently researching all my options for courses and trying to gather as much info as i can before i make my choice.
Just read the whole thread, very interesting indeed. My close friend is a nail tech(6 yrs) and has done my nails for 2yrs. Watching her do nails, ive decided i have a keen interest in nails as im always asking questions, get exited about new acrylics, sets and designs. I love any kind of art and i apreciate nails is an art form.
Ive not event started yet but i already plan to take as many courses as i can, im ecspecially interested in nail art. I dont see the point in doing anything unless you aim to be the best you can at it and i agree education and enthusiasm are important to achieve this.
On that note, have any of you done any Ezflow course or have any info on them? This is my number one choice at the mo...
thnx ;)

I don't agree with the comment that 'to be good at anything you need to learn from the experts'. There are people in this world who have natural talent and who do not need to learn from 'experts'.

And surely anyone with any level of intelligence or half a brain can self learn anything by reading books, internet and practicing (if relevent) if they put their minds to it and after they have the basics? Anyone do DIY? Cook fancy, sucessful meals by following a recipe book? And then go onto win Masterchef?!

I wonder how many 'experts' in their field were taught by experts before them or did their 'expertise' come from hard graft and determination and a willingness to pursue and further their knowledge by their own initiative? Are there even enough 'experts' out there to go round and teach us all!!!

Proper education and training in the world of nails/hair/beauty (as in any industry) is a must and I think the industry as a whole should be regulated to some extent to prevent the untrained and cowboys from botching up.

I don't agree with the comment that 'to be good at anything you need to learn from the experts'. There are people in this world who have natural talent and who do not need to learn from 'experts'.

:confused: if this is the case why do you then say at the bottom that training is a must ??

And surely anyone with any level of intelligence or half a brain can self learn anything by reading books, internet and practicing (if relevent) if they put their minds to it and after they have the basics? Anyone do DIY? Cook fancy, sucessful meals by following a recipe book? And then go onto win Masterchef?!

Its one thing to self learn to cook or do DIY jobs but another to have real paying clients that would expect you to have trained. You would also need to be insured and that requires a training cert. If someone advertised as a painter and decorator and i employed them to decorate my house, i wouldn't be happy to learn that they had only read a book or watched a demo on the net....wether they had half a brain or a full one...:lol:

I wonder how many 'experts' in their field were taught by experts before them or did their 'expertise' come from hard graft and determination and a willingness to pursue and further their knowledge by their own initiative? Are there even enough 'experts' out there to go round and teach us all!!!

I think if you are being trained by a reputable company then i would feel safe in knowledge that the ones training me had been thoroughly trained in that field and also to teach. I am sure they did get to that stage through hard graft, determination and a willingness to pursue and further their knowledge not only through there initiative but also by further training.

Proper education and training in the world of nails/hair/beauty (as in any industry) is a must and I think the industry as a whole should be regulated to some extent to prevent the untrained and cowboys from botching up. I totally agree

interesting debate x

interesting debate x
Originally Posted by Jaxx

:confused: if this is the case why do you then say at the bottom that training is a must ??

Just because someone can teach you something it doesn't automatically make them an expert. The person who taught me was very good at what she did but I wouldn't class her as an 'expert'.

Its one thing to self learn to cook or do DIY jobs but another to have real paying clients that would expect you to have trained. You would also need to be insured and that requires a training cert. If someone advertised as a painter and decorator and i employed them to decorate my house, i wouldn't be happy to learn that they had only read a book or watched a demo on the net....wether they had half a brain or a full one...:lol:

But someone who has taught themselves who may have a natural talent for doing what they do might be better than some of the people who have so called 'qualifications'. Anyone can go to college now and leave with a 'qualification' - it doesn't mean they're any good at what they do...and if I was choosing someone to decorate my flat I would ensure they were recomended or you would see samples of their work - I don't know though if I'd ask to see their college certificates or ensure that their previous good work had been done as a result of them being taught by an 'expert'.

I think if you are being trained by a reputable company then i would feel safe in knowledge that the ones training me had been thoroughly trained in that field and also to teach. I am sure they did get to that stage through hard graft, determination and a willingness to pursue and further their knowledge not only through there initiative but also by further training.

Again - it's this word 'expert' that's being used which I don't agree with...I think 'trained and qualified' perhaps but as said before not all people who are out there teaching any kind of course for any company or institution (not just nails) are 'experts' in their field. I wonder how many people who have any kind of qualification or trade or training can put their hand on their heart and say 'I was taught what I do and I'm good at what I do because I was taught by an expert'.

Proper education and training in the world of nails/hair/beauty (as in any industry) is a must and I think the industry as a whole should be regulated to some extent to prevent the untrained and cowboys from botching up. I totally agree

Yes I agree. Formal education should be the law for setting up in business. Even if you can do it without, it gives your clients more confidence in you.

I am currently due to start my second year to be fully qualified. As soon as my little girl started school I was eager to get back to work. I could have easily spent a few hundred on some basic education but I decided to do it properly and will have been to college for 2 years when I am qualified.

It gives me confidence and a feel good factor to know that I am fully qualified and hopefully my clients too.

I have picked up lots of good tips and having lots of practice and getting much better with each set. Thanks geeks.

As a massage therapist I gotta say education is essential!! I don't want us to go down the road as far as the US have where some states require you attend courses with 1,000 hours of classroom time (the national certificate for massage requires 500) as I think practical experience is so much better then classroom lectures. But standards do need to be set and adhered to - also so clients feel they are getting a professional and above all safe service.

I voted yes we need to learn from experts. But we should never ever think we have learned all we can, everyday we all still learn something new. Take a min to night and think, it could be anything, life is a huge learning curve. To be good at what you do, you have to be ready to keep learning more. lol x

Latest posts

Back