Education!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Education - is it important?

• No, it's damn easy to do nails - who needs it!

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • No, better to learn from a nail tek in the field..

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Yes, to be good at anything, you need to learn how from the experts

Votes: 336 73.8%
  • Yes, you need formal education... most teks dont take enough meds as it is

Votes: 110 24.2%

• Total voters

Mrs Geek

Sweet Heart
Premium Geek
Reaction score
There are no laws in the UK on education in nails (yet) ;) ! Certain companies have made it paramount that education is THE most important aspect of becoming a nail tek; NVQ has changed constantly over the past few years and the standards have risen but FACT - ANYONE can go to a local wholesalers and buy product and start working as a nail tek - what do you all think?

I wholeheartedly agree! I first trained as a manicurist and it appals me that you can do a training course lasting a couple of days without any natural nail health training previously. I have had a couple of new clients recently who have had artificial nails removed and been left with dry, rough nails as the tech did not even carry out a baisc manicure after removal.

I look forward to following the progress of IONA as mentioned in the latest Nails magazine.

Hi Fiona,

Yes IONA will be interesting although the classes are not Foundation / Masters etc, they are 'nail art' orientated as that is what both Jacqui and Anne are excellent at and njoy! I think there is also a business class that has been included. We did a business class 3 years ago called the 'Creative Entrepreneur' but noone ever was interested - maybe we were ahead of our time and should re-introduce it! :rolleyes: Both Jacqui and Anne are Creative Ambassadors as you probably know so their course content regarding enhancements will ALWAYS remain Creative based and the same as all other Academies up and down the uk. :!:

Isn't it amazing that some of these teks will send their clients home after a soak-off with 'awful' looking nails :?: :twisted: You'd think there was more pride within the industry but I guess we can't all forget that many girls do the job of a nail tek purely for money a :( nd have no interest in being 'true artists'. We NEED to keep on educating the clients so that THEY know what to look for in a good v bad nail tek; it's true that a a client will tell 10 people if they have had a bad experience :evil:

learn, learn, learn, is my motto.

Education is the only way to help you out with the things that can go wrong yes you can read a book but to be shown by someone that knows is alot better.

caroline

As a novice tech, I find it hard to believe that there are people working out there who are'nt interested in furthering their education.I myself have been on a few courses now and still lack belief in myself that I am good enough.I feel that some of this is due to low self confidence because I feel quite isolated from the industry and lack the chance to practice but, also feel that -just as there are many poorly qualified techs offering poor services - so there are also many poor courses on offer to trainees.I personally think the industry needs more regulation.One of my worst course experiences was the VCTC course I took at college and I'd never have expected to come out of that feeling as negative as I do. Having read the literature on the Creative courses I know that I would have gone for the 'completely covered' course had I been aware of it when I started out.I still feel I lack the solid foundation that the Creative courses sound like they provide.......Oh well! - guess I'll have to go back to saving the pennies !!!

I'm sitting here wanting to give you a hug and say 'don't worry' :( things will be OK.

There are only a very few professional companies out there who are 'bothered' about training, all the other ones that jump on board just see $signs and don't care how their teks perform as long as they sell product! THAT IS WHAT GIVES NAIL ENHANCEMENTS A BAD REPUTATION - GIRLS OUT THEIR DOING NAILS WITH NO TRAINING.
I think the difference between CND & other companies, is that from the VERY BEGINNING we took the stance NOT to sell to the non-professional; this was also 'A WAY' of regulating the industry somewhat because anyone knew that if you used CND at least you had a certificate behind you. Creative have always said 'Education is not a program with us, it's a Culture' - we firmly beleive that to be the best, you need to learn from people who have proven their abilities - hence we have Ketan Patel, Jacqui Jefford, Marianne Manley, Jane Cook, Gigi Rouse, Diane Plummer etc. :D
We didn't take on these Ambassadors after they had all won competitions, they were Ambassadors BEFORE they ever won anything so it is great for our reputation.
Equally NSI pay Denise Wright to endorse their product as she too is an excellent nail artist.
I have heard on the grape-vine, sometime ago that Tom Holcombe has left EZ Flow and our very own Tom Bachik (Beachneck as the Geek calls him) is with Young Nails. Both stars in their own right but wanting to get on in their own right.. we win some and lose some too (we love you Beachneck).
Anyway, I digress - :? Personally I don't think it is as hard now to find a reputable company to train with as Yellow Pages, Trade Mags ect are full of info; but money always dictates - do what you can and when you can do something a bit better, continue on!! I think that is why this message board is cool. I know that I represent CND but I would be happy to help anyone no matter what product they are using. A great nail tech can make almost any product look great too, it's how that product stands up to the test of time on clients and I think that's why we have such a following with Radical & R+; ;)

Hi Mrs Geek, Thanks for your response,its nice to know that someone so much higher up the tree cares :) For the time being I am going to press on with my soak-off gels and hopefully when I feel confident that I have reached a level I am happy with I will let myself loose on the public.Then when the big bucks start rolling in I can come and do my L&P training with you lovely people at CND - or maybe I should just carry on whinging at my partner how much more productive I can be if I'm profficient in two systems ;)

Hi all

It has to be said that training is the only way forward, but getting the right training is absolutley imperative. My history of training started with Supernails doing a Backscratchers course. Now I have to say I had absolutely no idea about nails before this (they did however make me have a one day manicure course beforehand). I had a certain lady :evil: come to my house (Essex) and strut around my lounge (as though she owned it!) and take me through her version of learning. This was for one day! She then came back a couple of months later for a few hours to check my work.

How in the world can someone learn anywhere near enough to be able then to class themselves as a professional. I felt so out of my league :( . I then went on to do a 4 day Foundation course with the said Denise Wright :) . A much better constructed course, lovely, lovely lady with no airs or graces, making you feel much more at ease.

However, I wanted more and finally ended up with the Creative Team at Loughton, Essex. Did a conversion, all my master classes and finally gained my Master technician award in 2001 :D .......hey but I can still find plenty of questions as good as the next techie!.....oh and I guess I'll have to start thinking about my NVQ as well (can you do a VTCT instead?)

Anyway thats me, Dellie

to find out the differences between VTCT / NVQ etc speak with Di at head office - 0113 275 5719 ext 232. I think that the end results are similar if not the same but can't answer for sure!!! :D

I did my first course with Star Nails learning acrylic. I then went on to do a conversion course with Creative. Wow what a product! & what a difference!. The teacher was great, in that one day she showed me how to sculpt. Okay it did take a bit of practice on my poor friends (first set took me 2 hours), but I knew if I had any problems I could phone her or anyone at Creative Nails for help. I am thinking about going on to learn Airbrushing. Is it easy? and is there a market of it?.

Love Sharon x
ps.
I like having my certificates up on my wall. It lets your clients trust you more. I have seen some really bad nails, ( and some really damaged nails) done by unqualified tecs.

Hello all!

Well I am currently half way through my VTCT Diploma which I study at night collage mon weds night and sat morning 11 hours in total which when holding down a full timejob and home is hard work, but well worth it.

When i started the course i was quite surprised by all the hard work it involves, we started off doing manicures and pedicures basic and luxury then we have moved on to nail extensions which cover acrylic, fibreglass, gels, overlays, acrylic over tips also repairs, infills, backfills, and the procedure for removals. Its is all very proffesional as we have clients from the public coming into collage which is really good experience. We have also been taught the basics of nail art and how toget started We have regular exams, assignmnents and assesments.

I really enjoy doing this course and although cant wait to qualify will be sad when it comes to an end!!!

Lou xxx :D

Louise, do you have to do a portfolio as well?

I have done the VTCT course in manicure and advanced nail techniques and qualified in May of last year, it is hard work but well worth it, I now have done 8 courses all to do with nails and I love it, I am currently manager in a nail bar working approx 60-70 hrs per week, 6 days a week, so keep at it, as it certainly paid off for me, 12 months ago I was a secretary and bored with my job, I now have over 100 regulars coming back on a 2/3 weekly basis and I love it, my clients are lovely and they bring me nice pressies too ie wine, burberry handbag, burberry perfume, gucci purse and choccies so I must do something right.

Good luck with the course I know how hard it is.

Jue :D

Hi Jue,

Yes we have to do a portfolio as well which involves lots of thoery ad hard work which i am sure you know!
If you dont mine me asking how did you get into the job you are doing know it sounds fab although hard work but well worth it i am sure.
I like you am fed up with my office job, love what i do at collage and desperately want to do it as my career but really dont know how about getting in to it!

Please any help/advice would be greatley received!
What other courses have you done?

Thanx, Lou xxx :D

Lou

Have pm'd you.

Jue :)

Wow this is all very intresting stuff. I trained with star nails back in july last year. I done the total techs course, and must say that some times i worry that my training wasnt as indepth as it should have been. The course consisted of 6 days over a 6 week period and covered, manicure(1day), Nail extensions(4days=day1 playday,day2 tipping & overlaying, day3 maintenance & day4 exam). Then the final day was nail art. During the course we had to practice on 10 people over the peroid of 4 weeks for the nail enhancments, and i was the only one who had managed to do so, the others had only managed to do 3. It was very scarey coming away knowing that had i been confident enough i could have gone straight out to the public and offered my services. I have since gone on to do another course in a different system with that company and am booked on to do the advanced workshops with them in the coming months. I am now worried after reading some threads on here that this training isnt up to scratch and that i am wasting my money. The only reason i trained with them was because they trained in my area, and being i have 4 young children i was unable to travel any real distance for my training. I am confident in what i do but feel i would benifit from more training. I want to open my own salon but worry that i do not have enough training. I am booked on to do another 7 courses over the next 3 months' 2 of which are nail courses & the others beauty. tinting etc. I would like to know your opinion on these short courses (be it nails or beauty).
Many thanks
Julie

julie said:
.......During the course we had to practice on 10 people over the peroid of 4 weeks for the nail enhancments, and i was the only one who had managed to do so, the others had only managed to do 3.

Out of interest Julie, without meaning to upset anyone, did the students who only managed to practice on 3 people still get a certificate of competence?

yes they did. The tutor did say to them when we came back after our practice "that you will be able to see the difference between them who had done 3 sets and me who had done all mine & she was right!!!
julie

I agree that you need to be trained by an expert. I'm doing the Creative 4 day foundation in September at Craven Arms, and yet I'm not even planning to become a nail technician as a career. I just wanted to have a go at doing my own nails, and a couple of my friends have said that if I was any good, then they'd let me do theirs. At the moment they don't have their nails done, but if my friends are willing to let me do theirs, and pay just enough to cover the product used, then I'd be happy to do it.

Who knows where it might lead in the future, but even as someone who loves her job as medical secretary, I still wanted to know how to do it properly, and further my education at the same time, while having fun doing it.

Angela
xx

BEWARE !!!! :biggrin:

How many of us started their career saying just the same thing????

"I only really want to do my own nails and a few friends.!!

Ask Mrs. Geek??? Those were my exact words .... almost 20 years later and look what happened.

MAYBE THIS SHOULD BE THE START OF A NEW THREAD.

Ha Ha...that's it then...I'm doomed! :biggrin:

Angela
xx

Latest posts

Back