EEEKS! The works for a bride!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Ok, I "used" to be a hairdresser.. many many many moons ago.
I still dabble for friends and family - cuts, foil streaking, two toning, dyes, perms.
So for that, I'm ok.
I "used" to do makeup as well, and also did local small fashion shows and a theatre group, as well as weddings.

BUT now it's been many years since I did all of that.

I have ANOTHER BRIDE, on a budget....
And she was referred to be by 3 other people (small town, yes...)
And wants:

Hair - for both her and her daughter
Nails - Dips for her, natural mani for her daughter
Makeup - for her

I'M SPOOKED!!
I've done it in the waaaaay past and everyone was pleased as punch.

I'm afraid that I might have forgotten so many 'tricks' that I used to know and won't know I've forgotten them until the pictures are developed :irked::cry::Scared:
it's the makeup that has me worried!!

AND

I dont even know what people charge for hair and makeup anymore?
Should I make a package price?

HELP!!!!!!

ANY AND ALL ADVICE APPRECIATED:!::!::!:

She's coming for a "trial" run on wednesday for the hair. So we can see what we're doing (she has a crown, no veil).
And we'll discuss makeup and colours then.

PS: thankfully, she doesn't want an updo, which I'm COMPLETELY rusted at and I always hated all those damn bobby pins anyway :lol:
She wants curls.
Curls are easy thankfully! LOL

(PSS: keeping in mind, I don't have any of the 'pro' makeup I had 15-20yrs ago, and we're working with department store brands..... ugh, NOT fun)

Hi Victoria

I have found that if I haven't been active in a certain area for awhile, that once I jump in and start doing it, I start remembering the tricks.
You will do fine.

If you are not comfortable with the make up, do you know another stylist that does makeup and could call them to come and do the bride?

We have a large wedding party on Sunday at the salon. 7 of them, all long hair, some want it up, some just loose curls down, all want the makeup. We get to start at 6:30am to have them out the door by 10am.

Then I am coming back home and going back to bed..:zzz:

Good luck with it. You will do great.

Thanks for the confidence in me, hun!!:hug:

Regrettably, the only person that I know charges a MINT and my 'client' can't afford her. In any case, she's booked through the season and not available anyway.
I'm just "barely" squeezing this bride in, and have to shuffle a few regs that are 'sort' of friends as I've known them for years and years since highschool, so they're pretty flexible and real dolls about scheduling.

The kicker is this: the bride made enquiries with me months ago, then changed her mind. I warned her then, book in advance.
Now, I'm going crazy trying to figure where to put her for different things (trial run on hair, nail enhancements, then the day of the wedding for the works for her and her daughter....)
aackkk

"calgon, take me away" LOL (bubble bath commercial for those not in the know)

AND I dont dare turn away the business because it's "Local" and many many people will be going from my old highschool, so it's a great advertising opportunity too.
aackkk

Will dig up my old makeup books and such and "cram" and try to remember all my 'tricks'

LOL

OK Victoria... I sense your panic, lol. You are a very able person and should not doubt your abilities:hug:.

See if you can visit any cosmetic websites which give fab suggestions about make-up. As you will be using department store branded make-up, I would think that your biggest problem may be the longevity of the make-up to stay in place for the wedding. If you have to go this route then at least try to set the brides make-up with an excellent loose powder. Brush this on again at the very end of applying the make-up to help it stay in place.

Stay away from cosmetics containing titanium dioxide as these can make one look 'spooky' in flash photographs :eek:.

Also may I suggest taking a peak at websites to do with famous make-up artists such as Kevyn Aucoin. You may find tips and advice which will help your former knowledge to come flooding back. Another guy is Robert Jones and he has done a book on bridal make-overs.

These are just suggestions Victoria. Above all, relax. You can only do what you can do in the time given. xx

OK Victoria... I sense your panic, lol. You are a very able person and should not doubt your abilities:hug:.

See if you can visit any cosmetic websites which give fab suggestions about make-up. As you will be using department store branded make-up, I would think that your biggest problem may be the longevity of the make-up to stay in place for the wedding. If you have to go this route then at least try to set the brides make-up with an excellent loose powder. Brush this on again at the very end of applying the make-up to help it stay in place.
I was 'thinking' of going with mineral powder based makeup? The foundation is actually a powder? It's what I've been using lately, and even with my oily skin, it's been holding up fantastically well in the humidity. Yup, loose powder has ALWAYS been MY best friend, hehe

Stay away from cosmetics containing titanium dioxide as these can make one look 'spooky' in flash photographs :eek:.
OKEY DOKEY, will remember that.

Also may I suggest taking a peak at websites to do with famous make-up artists such as Kevyn Aucoin. You may find tips and advice which will help your former knowledge to come flooding back. Another guy is Robert Jones and he has done a book on bridal make-overs.
ACTUALLY, I have Kevyn's book and was planning on zipping through it tonight hehehe LOVE that book!!!
I was also thinking on scanning the web and seeing what that crops up.

These are just suggestions Victoria. Above all, relax. You can only do what you can do in the time given. xx

Thanks so much, hun:!::!:
I've been fretting.
On one hand, part of me is confident that I'll turn out the same quality work that I always did (with regards to makeup) and part of me is "OMG what am I gonna do?"
I think the pharmacy also sells a 'spray' for 'setting/sealing' the makeup? Are those any good or a total waste of money?
As for the hair, should be easy.. talked more to her today and have a better idea what she wants. Really easy and curly.:green:

thanks again!!!
I'll take before and after pics for everyone :green:

AND I dont dare turn away the business because it's "Local" and many many people will be going from my old highschool, so it's a great advertising opportunity too.

Victoria` Make sure that by doing the hair and makeup for them is the kind of advertising you want. :) Are you willing to get back into hair and makeup?? :D
Because You Know You will do a Fab job..I sense you are a perfectionist. And when others see the kind of work you do..well, be prepared to get business for hair and makeup hun. :)

Latest posts

Back