Elderly client/dirty nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoey92

Reaction score
I have an elderly woman come to me every 6 weeks or so her son comes in to make the appointment as she is in a wheelchair.
To be honest it was a very simple easy appointment it's just basic cut the nails down file and shape them tidy up her cuticles and finish off with a nice Polish.

But the only way I can describe it is that her nails are so dirty underneath I have no idea what it is is I am cleaning out now, I thought this was just a one off at her first appointment but we are now three appointments in an regular occurrence.
Now her son has just came in the salon to make her appointment and I kindly asked that her carers would see to underneath her nails and clean them before she comes in. Am I thinking too much into this or should I not have asked him to do that? I am not talking just about a little bit of dirt I literally have no idea what it is that's underneath her nails it is caked and I have to prevent myself from heaving every time I do them‍♀️

I have an elderly woman come to me every 6 weeks or so her son comes in to make the appointment as she is in a wheelchair.
To be honest it was a very simple easy appointment it's just basic cut the nails down file and shape them tidy up her cuticles and finish off with a nice Polish.

But the only way I can describe it is that her nails are so dirty underneath I have no idea what it is is I am cleaning out now, I thought this was just a one off at her first appointment but we are now three appointments in an regular occurrence.
Now her son has just came in the salon to make her appointment and I kindly asked that her carers would see to underneath her nails and clean them before she comes in. Am I thinking too much into this or should I not have asked him to do that? I am not talking just about a little bit of dirt I literally have no idea what it is that's underneath her nails it is caked and I have to prevent myself from heaving every time I do them‍♀️

Absolutely the right thing to do, failing that on arrival giver her a nail brush and send her to the sink to scrub her own nails.

Absolutely the right thing to do, failing that on arrival giver her a nail brush and send her to the sink to scrub her own nails.
Thank you Trinity, the only thing there is she has quite bad arthritis in her hands and she is quite immobile,I think she depends on her son and carers quite a lot. I just hope he takes on board what I kindly asked for. I think far too much into things and just think that I am being rude but things like this I would say is just basic hygiene

Absolutely this is something her carers should be attending to. If they aren't bothering cleaning her nails, what else aren't they bothering with! (former carer here) It shouldn't be on you to do their job and I'm glad you spoke to her son. Don't worry about over thinking here, you are doing your client and her son a favour.

I absolutely agree! I had this a few years ago and I asked the daughter twice (politely) to make them cleaner before her next appointment, which didn’t happen, so I stopped making appointments for her. I now have a 97 year old with dementia who is regularly brought to me by her carer (who is in her early 20’s) & the lady is immaculate. Hair beautifully blow dried, nails clean, clothes clean & smells lovely. She also has her pearls on. It is a pleasure to spend an hour with this lady & her carer. It’s not too much to ask at all. X

I would agree but present it in a manner of care for her nails not that you are assuming her care givers are leaving her dirty because I'm sure this elderly lady enjoys her time and ignoring her isn't teaching the care givers anything its would only be hurting the ladies feelings.

So I've had the lady in this afternoon low and behold the son brought her in and said he did mention cleaning under the nails to the carers but that it wasn't their job to do it apparently. I was absolutely fumibg eith the carers as my mother-in-law is a care home manager so I did run this past her and she said absolutely it is the carer's job, it's basic hygiene and cleanliness. I explained to the son that I was actually finding it difficult to cut her nails because the dirt and grime underneath was so thick, all I got back was "is it"
It's sad because it is not the ladys fault, she is very immobile, I have to come round and sit next to her to do her nails as she can't even stretch out her arm to put on the desk. Unfortunately I will be saying to the son that unless her nails are clean for her next appointment I won't be able to continue. I really tried my best today at her nails were so long so I could not let her leave with such long nails but I really struggled and I still feel ill at the thought of it now.

This is a difficult situation for you to resolve as you've had a negative response from the carers. Yes, they should attend to it (ex nurse here..) but it doesn't change the problem you have. Perhaps the carers only get 20 minutes to get her up and dressed - every job has its stresses and pressures. If her arthritis is bad it would take them ages to carefully soak & clean them. Perhaps they don't see the dirt when there is polish on the nails.

I think my solution would be to clean the nails when she comes for her manicure. My suggestion would be to soak her hands in warm water with hibiscrub antibacterial skin wash. Put a towel over her lap with a good size bowl of water on it (or however you can position her safely). Leave soaking for 20 minutes (you can get on with other stuff during this time). Then take the bowl away, remove her old polish and clean under the nails with a blunt metal tool that you can sanitise later. The soaking will ensure the debris will be soft and easy to remove and the hibiscub (chlorhexadine) will have killed any bacteria before you work on her. Wear gloves if you are still worried. Then complete her manicure as per usual. The cuticles will also be nice and soft in case you have to push these back.
If the family moan about having to wait longer for the lady then just tell them that as the carers are unable to clean the nails first it is necessary. Perhaps charge a bit more if you feel you can (personally I wouldn't though). The lady will probably love having her hands soaked and see it as a plus for her trip out and highlight of the week.

You can buy hibiscrub from amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hibiscrub-..._1_1?keywords=hibiscrub&qid=1571155900&sr=8-1

It's also excellent for soaking feet!

I know it's unusual to have to clean finger nails to this extent but just think what gunk we remove from under toenails without thinking about it! :)

This is a difficult situation for you to resolve as you've had a negative response from the carers. Yes, they should attend to it (ex nurse here..) but it doesn't change the problem you have. Perhaps the carers only get 20 minutes to get her up and dressed - every job has its stresses and pressures. If her arthritis is bad it would take them ages to carefully soak & clean them. Perhaps they don't see the dirt when there is polish on the nails.

I think my solution would be to clean the nails when she comes for her manicure. My suggestion would be to soak her hands in warm water with hibiscrub antibacterial skin wash. Put a towel over her lap with a good size bowl of water on it (or however you can position her safely). Leave soaking for 20 minutes (you can get on with other stuff during this time). Then take the bowl away, remove her old polish and clean under the nails with a blunt metal tool that you can sanitise later. The soaking will ensure the debris will be soft and easy to remove and the hibiscub (chlorhexadine) will have killed any bacteria before you work on her. Wear gloves if you are still worried. Then complete her manicure as per usual. The cuticles will also be nice and soft in case you have to push these back.
If the family moan about having to wait longer for the lady then just tell them that as the carers are unable to clean the nails first it is necessary. Perhaps charge a bit more if you feel you can (personally I wouldn't though). The lady will probably love having her hands soaked and see it as a plus for her trip out and highlight of the week.

You can buy hibiscrub from amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hibiscrub-..._1_1?keywords=hibiscrub&qid=1571155900&sr=8-1

It's also excellent for soaking feet!

I know it's unusual to have to clean finger nails to this extent but just think what gunk we remove from under toenails without thinking about it! :)
Thank you so much for your reply I hate to sound like I'm having a really big whinge it's just some things I can tolerate and some I can't but I will take this all at the consideration. Of course it does not help to that I have just found out recently I am pregnant and quite nauseous at the moment[emoji23]

So I've had the lady in this afternoon low and behold the son brought her in and said he did mention cleaning under the nails to the carers but that it wasn't their job to do it apparently. I was absolutely fumibg eith the carers as my mother-in-law is a care home manager so I did run this past her and she said absolutely it is the carer's job, it's basic hygiene and cleanliness. I explained to the son that I was actually finding it difficult to cut her nails because the dirt and grime underneath was so thick, all I got back was "is it"
It's sad because it is not the ladys fault, she is very immobile, I have to come round and sit next to her to do her nails as she can't even stretch out her arm to put on the desk. Unfortunately I will be saying to the son that unless her nails are clean for her next appointment I won't be able to continue. I really tried my best today at her nails were so long so I could not let her leave with such long nails but I really struggled and I still feel ill at the thought of it now.

Poor you. I had a client like that. Lovely lady but it was unpleasant. I had to use lots of sanitising spray and wear gloves.

Of course it does not help to that I have just found out recently I am pregnant and quite nauseous at the moment[emoji23]

Congratulations on your pregnancy OP. :)

I also think that’s a valid concern in this instance because when pregnant, you can become extremely sensitive to all sorts of smells so even ordinary things like buttered toast can make you suddenly feel sick. You just need to see how it goes and if you’re still struggling, then it’s not unreasonable to refuse her treatment.

Latest posts

Back