Electric Nail Files

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nail_star2003

Reaction score
Ok, here I go...you all probably want to kill me just by looking at the title...but please don't!!

Basically for the last week I've been experiencing pain in my right hand when filing. I've been to the docs about it and knowing my job they've said it could possibly (not 100% though) be the onset of rsi. Arrrghhhh!!!!!!!!

So, I can't afford to give up my job and I don't want to so I've thought about looking into electric files to take the strain and movement out of my hand and wrist. Obviously I'm looking into proper training and machines available and this is something i want to seriously look into before jumping in as it's a lot of money.

I have read the Habia Code of Practice which does give the thumbs up for it as long as certain criteria are met (ventilation/sanitisation etc) which, as a professional, they would be.

I am looking for some honest and open advice about this. I don't really want an ear bashing telling me that they ruin the natural nail etc!!! I'm not stupid and as I've said, correct training will firstly be undertaken!!

Do any of you already use an electric file? If so, how do you find it? Do you prefer using it over a manual file or not? If so, why? Also, I would like to know what reputable companies do training for this. I know NSI do so just looking for a couple of others to compare. Also, where can you purchase these in kit form as I don't want to buy a machine and then not have the correct bits!! Also, of those who do use an electric file successfully, what are the main file bits you use as I don't want to be sold things I don't need.

As I've said, I'm in the very early stages of looking into this so any help and advice that ANY of you can give me would be much appreciated.

I have RSI, although mine has been brought on through years of typing and computer use. I wake up every morning with completely dead hands, its a horrible sensation! I have been thinking about an electric file myself recently just for use on rebalances. I know that Young Nails sell electric files and will only sell one to you if you have the training. I'm not sure if you buy all the bits seperately or not but you could check it out on their website.

I looked into electric files last year, just like yourselves. After looking around and trying to get as much info as possible, I found the details for Sylvia Johnson in a Scratch magazine, she was based in Surrey at the time.

I contacted her and arranged a training day. I think it was only something in the region of £100 for the training for both myself and my daughter. She sold me the minimum amount of bits (even though I would have bought everything in sight!) and offered great advice. I did buy a quality file and I use it sparingly, mainly for when I do pink and white infils. This is because for pink infils the product is thin enough and very little filing is required.

Having completed the training, I have found nothing wrong with electric file use. When I use it, I use it carefully; much the same as when I use a manual file. I have never cut anyone with it, nor have I caused red marks or damage to natural nails.

If you have respect for your tools and use them correctly, you should be fine.

Sue x

I agree with every thing our welsh geek has said,
i have used one since february and would be lost without it for the re balances,
i used to do all my re balances by hand file but by the time it came to buffing to a shine i had no energy left in my hand to do a good job (arthritis)
I got mine from a company called Italy hair and beauty, i got a very good deal as i bought it from the trade show in London earlier this year, and did my training with NSI as that was the closest one to me at the time,
how ever i do believe that creative now offer training for the electric file hth

I agree with every thing our welsh geek has said,
i have used one since february and would be lost without it for the re balances,
i used to do all my re balances by hand file but by the time it came to buffing to a shine i had no energy left in my hand to do a good job (arthritis)
I got mine from a company called Italy hair and beauty, i got a very good deal as i bought it from the trade show in London earlier this year, and did my training with NSI as that was the closest one to me at the time,
how ever i do believe that creative now offer training for the electric file hth
That's interesting that Creative do training in electric files,I too am thinking I may have to take this course of action since breaking my shoulder back in May.I cant do hardly any filing at all as it hurts constantly and am not doing any enhancements at all in the salon,oh apart from the odd overlay(1 nail)

Maybe I will give Creative a call tomorrow and ask for details about this course.:green:

I just did a training class with Medicool last month. The quality of the machine seemed to make a VAST amount of difference. I have a Kupa mani pro that is ok but there is a lot of vibration through the handpiece. If I were ever going to use it on a regular basis, I would definitely want to upgrade it.

S

Hi,
I have the same problem with my hands! (pain, numbness) I did e file training with NSI and it was fab, also got the e file with all bits required from them too! At first i found it quite chunky to hold and it makes your hands ache in a different way! (probaly takes a while to get used to it) Also i found its easier to use with gel than acrylic. I dont always use it, and if I do I will use normal file at the same time.
:)

I just did a training class with Medicool last month. The quality of the machine seemed to make a VAST amount of difference. I have a Kupa mani pro that is ok but there is a lot of vibration through the handpiece. If I were ever going to use it on a regular basis, I would definitely want to upgrade it.

S

I am glad you have mentioned this because I had problems with using a hair razor because of the vibration. As stupid as it sounds I put the razor away and my hand just would'nt stop shaking??

I have RSI, although mine has been brought on through years of typing and computer use. I wake up every morning with completely dead hands, its a horrible sensation! I have been thinking about an electric file myself recently just for use on rebalances. I know that Young Nails sell electric files and will only sell one to you if you have the training. I'm not sure if you buy all the bits seperately or not but you could check it out on their website.

That is correct :: Distinctive Nail Products :: Young Nails .co.uk :: The Nail Professional's Partner :: offers a fab course on e-files and is usually on a one to one. You are also correct in saying that the file bits a sold seperately how ever I am almost sure that if you have the training and purchase the file you get up to 3 bits with it.

Hope this has been of help to you:hug:

with proper training a efile can be used on a natural nail at a VERY low speed but that aside I will never go back to only hand filing.

I LOVE my efile and what I am able to do with it the time it saves and I never have a sore throbbing sholder arm and wrist. Vicki Peters had an awsome natural nail bit.

And yes when I bought my efile I also recieved an under the nail cleaner, med carbide and mandrel bits with med sanding bands.

Hi Nail Star (Kelly, i will call soon as we have loads to catch upon!) I just spotted your post and had to reply.

I have recently been diagnosed with Carpel Tunnel Syndrome in my right hand. Perk of the job i was told!!! I have been referred to Kings in London and am due to have a minor op soon. Dont always be fobbed of with RSI, it might be more serious than that. I have now closed my salon, partly because i can only now manage 1 client a day (and also because i run the ANT!)

You have known me a long time and know my thoughts on Electric files, but i have to say, things are changing. Now we an NVQ unit (BT42) in Electric Files for Nails. Young Nails have completely turned me around. I now understand the use of an electric file for nails is, on some occasions, very useful if i dont want to end up in pain, mainly with backfills.

I would think about it hun, times are changing.

(PS will call soon, promise!!!)

Thank you all so much for your unbiased opinions.

Rachel, we have a lot of catching up to do, but aside from this I do know your previous opinions and it seems like your thoughts are changing. And if your thoughts are, then so can mine!!! I'll PM you anyway.

For everyone else, don't stop sending me your thoughts and info on training and kits etc as this will be ultimately invaluable to me.

Cheers all :hug:

I think you should all come to the Creative Nail Academy in Leeds at Sweet Squared, 1 Clayton Wood Bank, West Park Ring Road LS16 6QZ, sometime during the week of the 26th of November (I'll be demoing all week every day) and see how to do nails in 30 minutes and therefore no RSI and no expensive e files.

It is absolutely FREE to attend and absolutely for EVERYBODY no matter what product brand they use.

Geeg, I would lurve to come and see you but I'm way down in dizzy Essex and so I can't get to you! :irked:

But, I am sooooooo interested in whatever it is you're talking about. I've not been on here in ages but I have just seen a thread about a new system!!

Geeg, I would lurve to come and see you but I'm way down in dizzy Essex and so I can't get to you! :irked:

But, I am sooooooo interested in whatever it is you're talking about. I've not been on here in ages but I have just seen a thread about a new system!!

Hi Kelly, It is not a new system ... it is a new METHOD.

You can use this method with any old system you like!! :lol:

You'd think Essex was the other end of the earth :lol: ... hop on a train and a short taxi ride (about 7.00 will get you to Sweet Squared). Live dangerously!! I've got people flying from Norway, Eire and Plymouth ... if you really want to you will!! :hug:

You'd think Essex was the other end of the earth

Pmsl!! It does sound like that!!

No, it's not just that. It's the money for the train journey, getting someone to have the kids plus my own clients!! I will have a think about it!!

Ok girls and guys,

I think I'm going to try and get to good ol' Leeds for Geeg's new method unveiling!! I thought it might be quite nice if some of us Essex peeps travelled together (not that I'm excluding others just think it'd look so very strange with a load of 'geeks' running along the train to find each other only to realise you got on the wrong train!!!).

If any of you are interestd in going can you pm me and we can try and make some arrangements where to meet and what day etc.

Latest posts

Back