SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

es1215

Reaction score
Hi fellow geeks 🤗
I’ve recently passed six online beauty courses... nails, pedicures, lash lift, waxing etc... i’d really like to set up a trade account with Ellisons or Sallys, but as i’ve only done online courses i’m unable to register as i don’t have a beauty nvq.
has anyone got around this with either companies or can you suggest some good beauty wholesalers to spend through?
Thanks so much
Elle xxx

I don't have an NVQ and am registered with both Ellisons and Salon Services. Have you actually tried signing up with them?

I found this on the Salon Services sign-up page. I would hope that you have at least one of these before you purchase professional products to use on clients.
  • Certificate for hair a & beauty qualification at Level 2 (NVQ or equivalent) or above
  • Public liability insurance
  • A business card or recent payslip
  • An ID card from The Hairdressing Council
  • Salon Services course certificate
I would upload your certificates from your online courses and see what Salon Services say. HOWEVER, I wouldn't recommended going full steam ahead with just online qualifications. There are some things that just can't be taught properly virtually and face to face learning is really important, especially in this industry.

Good luck x

Thanks so much for replying.
I had tried Ellison’s and they asked for additional information, which i’m sending over today.
Most definitely going to book face to face training, especially for lashes and tints!
Thankyou again xxx

You need face to face in all in my opinion. There is no way you can learn a practical lesson all on line

Thanks for your opinion Helen. As you can imagine face to face training hasn’t been possible since last March and as i’ve recently been laid off, online training suits me best and keeps me busy in these crazy times.
If someone has already studied and qualified face to face in manicure’s and pedicures, do you not think they could pass a gel course online?

If someone has already studied and qualified face to face in manicure’s and pedicures, do you not think they could pass a gel course online?

In my opinion no - gel polish behaves differently to normal polish, each brand applies and behaves differently from another - unless you have a grounding in hard gel application, you may struggle.

Hard gel, absolutely not, even those who have done face to face find they struggle with gel, it's self levelling properties cause structure issues which no amount of explaining can resolve, it's an in person skill to teach and learn.

Thanks for your opinion Helen. As you can imagine face to face training hasn’t been possible since last March and as i’ve recently been laid off, online training suits me best and keeps me busy in these crazy times.
Mani and pedi's are completely different from gels, shellac, acrylics, sculpting.....and so on. U can't compare. It's like asking if u qualified as a nurse, are u ok to operate as a surgeon.....different fields. Either job needs a qualification and each is important in it's own right, but you most definitely need face to face, good quality training for each one.

Hi fellow geeks 🤗
I’ve recently passed six online beauty courses... nails, pedicures, lash lift, waxing etc... i’d really like to set up a trade account with Ellisons or Sallys, but as i’ve only done online courses i’m unable to register as i don’t have a beauty nvq.
has anyone got around this with either companies or can you suggest some good beauty wholesalers to spend through?
Thanks so much
Elle xxx
Hi flirtes are good for eyelashes and lash lift products, just beauty do some things like wax etc, good luck with your set up where did you train would you recommend them

Latest posts

Back