Elumen fading help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justanailaddict

Reaction score
First off I'd like to say I am NOT a hair professional!
I had my hair dyed at a salon with elumen and didn't have much issue with fading for the first 3 weeks, using KMS shampoos/conditioners. A little bit of the color would come out when I wash but usually after conditioning the water runs relatively clear.
However I recently went on vacation and picked up a color shampoo and conditioner for maintenance, and after one wash I noticed much more color coming out in the water than usual. The water didn't seem to have any signs of becoming clearer at all when I was rinsing either. Today I switched back to my KMS set and the same issue was happening.
I am wondering if I messed up with the color shampoo/conditioner and now it's too late to go back?? Maybe it's something in the water?? If anyone has any insight or tips to help stop the washout that would be greatly appreciated..

First off I'd like to say I am NOT a hair professional!
I had my hair dyed at a salon with elumen and didn't have much issue with fading for the first 3 weeks, using KMS shampoos/conditioners. A little bit of the color would come out when I wash but usually after conditioning the water runs relatively clear.
However I recently went on vacation and picked up a color shampoo and conditioner for maintenance, and after one wash I noticed much more color coming out in the water than usual. The water didn't seem to have any signs of becoming clearer at all when I was rinsing either. Today I switched back to my KMS set and the same issue was happening.
I am wondering if I messed up with the color shampoo/conditioner and now it's too late to go back?? Maybe it's something in the water?? If anyone has any insight or tips to help stop the washout that would be greatly appreciated..
Either the water is too hot, or your alternative shampoo contains high amounts of sulphates. These sulphates are very astringent on the hair and destroys hair colour. You may need to pay a visit back to the salon, nothing will restore the lost colour unless it's replaced now. But you can definitely prevent this again in the future.

Elumen permanent colour has a 2 step process where a product called Colour Lock is applied after the colour has been initially rinsed.

In your case I think the shampoo you used on holiday was too alkaline and has stripped out the protective Lock and so that’s why you’re still losing colour.
You’ll need to get your hair re-done and be very careful about what shampoos you use from now on.

Supposed ‘colour care’ shampoo can still be too harsh so you’re better off sticking with your KMS or other pro brand products.

Latest posts

Back