Embarrassing others

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButterflyGeek

Reaction score
Have you ever introduced your self to someone and they are all friendly, but as soon as you tell them what you do for a career and they automatically say "Oh!! don't look at my nails, they are awful" then for the rest of the time they talk to you, they are hiding their hands from you. This makes me feel so awkward as I do not in any way want to make them feel self conscious.

Just wondering how oftent his happens to you and also if this happens to hairdressers and beauty therapists also.:rolleyes:

This is my first 'new thread', so please let me know if i have done it wrong

Have you ever introduced your self to someone and they are all friendly, but as soon as you tell them what you do for a career and they automatically say "Oh!! don't look at my nails, they are awful" then for the rest of the time they talk to you, they are hiding their hands from you. This makes me feel so awkward as I do not in any way want to make them feel self conscious.

Just wondering how oftent his happens to you and also if this happens to hairdressers and beauty therapists also.:rolleyes:

This is my first 'new thread', so please let me know if i have done it wrong

Hi
In answer to you question yes it happens all the time and they also expect you to be perfect all the time:hug:

Hey I wouldn't worry about it........can you imagine what it would be like to be a psychotherapist?:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry couldn't help it!

No reason why you should feel awkward, if their nails are as bad as they say they are, what a perfect opportunity to gain a client!!!!!!!!!

:)

you will find that people always do this, i usually laugh with them not at them and grab their hands and give what ever advise i can and then you find that they tend to relax and stop hiding them

you will find that people always do this, i usually laugh with them not at them and grab their hands and give what ever advise i can and then you find that they tend to relax and stop hiding them
Thats what I was going to put and add that I usually give them my card, sometimes you gain a client, and sometimes they pass your card along:lol:

Such great answer that,i do this to instintively to make the person feel that they shouldnt hide thier hands and give as much as advise as possible...after all you may be getting a new client:wink2:

i think people will always act differently once they know what you do

i say use it to your advantage, as an opportunity to hand out a business card and drum up some trade

Yep, it happens a heck of a lot... in fact the last time it happened was yesterday from someone I know really well...
She said to me "why do I always see you when my nails are a mess? I've been gardening" LMAO :lol:
It's like they are looking for an excuse for their nails to be mistreated... I said "it's ok, it can be cured with a manicure" lol

Thank you all so much for your reply's. Glad i am not the only one :)

I get two reactions one being that they hide them all embarrassed or the other is shoving them in my face saying what can you do with mine?:eek::lol:

Am I the only one who gets told its because they do 'real' work with their hands - washing up, gardening, cleaning, decorating, kids etc. It takes all my tact to point out that I do all of that - with gloves and care.

Well not kids but you know what I mean:)

Am I the only one who gets told its because they do 'real' work with their hands - washing up, gardening, cleaning, decorating, kids etc. It takes all my tact to point out that I do all of that - with gloves and care.

Well not kids but you know what I mean:)
Those are the people who need educating about enhancements :green:

This usually only happens to me when mine need fixing!!

'You're a nail tech!! Oh let me see.......'

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

I agree With Jules.................Brandibam xxx

This usually only happens to me when mine need fixing!!

'You're a nail tech!! Oh let me see.......'

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

yep now this is my problem, mine are so bad due to health etc, that when i tell people what ive been training to do, the first thing they do is look to see what your own nails are like, so normally its me hiding mine lol,

although on friday ngiht i had a girlie night at a friends house and when i said about manicures/pedicures, one of her friends said ooh god mine are awful, you couldnt do anything with mine, so i jumped in with well manicure would make them beter and help them to grow and improve their look etc, i think i convinced her a little, she only lives by me so i said id drop my leaflet off once id had them printed, she was under the impression manicures where only for poeple with lovely long nails, i suppose a lot of people think this, i need to write something about this into my leaflets i think

great thread hun xxxx

Hey Nicky, Im with you. I'm the one hiding my hands, my nails are less than perfect as I find it extremely hard to do my own nails and never feel they are a particularly good advert for me. I was doing natural overlay to avoid the wonky white smiles but really need the practice, hence the reason why I normally wear nail enamel!!

Latest posts

Back