Employed or self employed with maternity?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharleeJay

Reaction score
Hello, I was looking for advice, I’m currently running my own salon no staff but relocating, i would like to try for children in about 1 year and a half- 2 years. I’m unsure whether to stay self employed or go employed.
Self employed has been amazing, the money is the only factor that’s holding me back as I would earn more, but I don’t take holidays, I work all hours.
I would have to Build a clientele from scratch again and I didn’t want to worry about if my clients have gone elsewhere whilst I was on Maternity and then worrying about money.
Employed I would take the money loss but I would gain paid holidays, less stress. Being employed just gives sustainability.
Any advice would be amazing or if any of you have been in a similar situation.

Thank you :)
Charlee x

Weigh up the pro’s and con’s and just go with your gut instinct. If you decide to get a job, you know that you can step back to being self employed if it doesn’t go to plan, so either option is perfectly viable.

Working for yourself in a service industry is always going to be about hard work and long hours but being employed won’t necessarily solve your worries. A salon, particularly if poorly managed, can fold at any time or put you on reduced hours, so it’s not without some risk.
You might also struggle with being managed after being your own boss and particularly if that person sucks at the job.
One reason why I couldn’t work for someone else very easily. o_O

Weigh up the pro’s and con’s and just go with your gut instinct. If you decide to get a job, you know that you can step back to being self employed if it doesn’t go to plan, so either option is perfectly viable.

Working for yourself in a service industry is always going to be about hard work and long hours but being employed won’t necessarily solve your worries. A salon, particularly if poorly managed, can fold at any time or put you on reduced hours, so it’s not without some risk.
You might also struggle with being managed after being your own boss and particularly if that person sucks at the job.
One reason why I couldn’t work for someone else very easily. o_O

Thank you for your reply! I no I think I will find it hard being told what to do again like you say follow the gut and can always change my mind at any point! I am also taking all my equipment and stock with me so I could always do abit of both and see what naturally falls in place I guess. So difficult!!

Hello, I was looking for advice, I’m currently running my own salon no staff but relocating, i would like to try for children in about 1 year and a half- 2 years. I’m unsure whether to stay self employed or go employed.
Self employed has been amazing, the money is the only factor that’s holding me back as I would earn more, but I don’t take holidays, I work all hours.
I would have to Build a clientele from scratch again and I didn’t want to worry about if my clients have gone elsewhere whilst I was on Maternity and then worrying about money.
Employed I would take the money loss but I would gain paid holidays, less stress. Being employed just gives sustainability.
Any advice would be amazing or if any of you have been in a similar situation.

Thank you :)
Charlee x
Hi,
It much depends on how you want to live your maternity and motherhood. Let me explain, although it also depends on which labor laws are in place in your area, I would say to take the time to plan. Meaning, in the US in many states nail technicians, massage therapists, hair dressers etc are self contractors even if the are working for somebody’s else salon, the salon puts the space and the products and pays 50 to 60% of the service tag to the person doing the job, but in most places the person providing services do not have benefits... meaning no paid holidays, no paid days off, sick days etc. So, I would say, get insurance to cover maternity leave, sick days etc if you are in the US, so money is coming in when you are off.
If you have been your own boss, you know how you want things done, you had no rivals at your work place and you decided what to do. So, I would say planning is the key factor. I enjoyed being able to schedule and reschedule my clients appointments to fit my family needs and to be able to be there for them. Hopefully you have a committed partner who can also be there to help with the baby’s care. If you are in the UK life is easier because you have benefits and rights so. Find as much information as you can about what is available to you and plan. Good luck.

Hi,
It much depends on how you want to live your maternity and motherhood. Let me explain, although it also depends on which labor laws are in place in your area, I would say to take the time to plan. Meaning, in the US in many states nail technicians, massage therapists, hair dressers etc are self contractors even if the are working for somebody’s else salon, the salon puts the space and the products and pays 50 to 60% of the service tag to the person doing the job, but in most places the person providing services do not have benefits... meaning no paid holidays, no paid days off, sick days etc. So, I would say, get insurance to cover maternity leave, sick days etc if you are in the US, so money is coming in when you are off.
If you have been your own boss, you know how you want things done, you had no rivals at your work place and you decided what to do. So, I would say planning is the key factor. I enjoyed being able to schedule and reschedule my clients appointments to fit my family needs and to be able to be there for them. Hopefully you have a committed partner who can also be there to help with the baby’s care. If you are in the UK life is easier because you have benefits and rights so. Find as much information as you can about what is available to you and plan. Good luck.

Thank you so much! I’m based in the uk. I will defiantly look online in more detail.
I would like to take more of a back seat, and enjoy having children and have less of the stress/worry. Then go back to self employed once they are at school (that’s what I was thinking) It’s very difficult, as I would be starting my clientele from 0 again as relocating so by the time I build a good steady clientele I would probs start for a family and then loose half of them during maternity [emoji23]‍♀️ (that’s my worry) x

Hi CharleeJay,

I would not worry about clientele, I am sure you have experience and you know how to do your job, at the end of the day, clients want a good service.
So, blast the news of your relocation, kind of " Experienced Nail Tech / Manicurist moving to town" , "Charlee Jay Coming to town!!! ..." add some reviews from previous clients in your location.... give some specials and you will be good, if people think they are going to get amazing service at an introductory price, most people will give you a try.

You can hire other manicurists, or share your space with someone else...

I think it is more about how you present yourself than anything else, as I am assuming you have experience and do a good job, also you probably have some strengths, focus on offering those.

I do not see you as an employee, you have the risk of burning out because you will be thinking " Oh I could be taking 100% for the service instead of X% and also as an employee, you will be subjected to schedules, and owner / manager rules.

The secret is in the planning .... and perhaps on compromising, like you can start on your own, full time, then when the baby comes you can move change schedule to part time, and I am sure your clients will be willing to support you and work with you.

Be successful and fearless.

Hi CharleeJay,

I would not worry about clientele, I am sure you have experience and you know how to do your job, at the end of the day, clients want a good service.
So, blast the news of your relocation, kind of " Experienced Nail Tech / Manicurist moving to town" , "Charlee Jay Coming to town!!! ..." add some reviews from previous clients in your location.... give some specials and you will be good, if people think they are going to get amazing service at an introductory price, most people will give you a try.

You can hire other manicurists, or share your space with someone else...

I think it is more about how you present yourself than anything else, as I am assuming you have experience and do a good job, also you probably have some strengths, focus on offering those.

I do not see you as an employee, you have the risk of burning out because you will be thinking " Oh I could be taking 100% for the service instead of X% and also as an employee, you will be subjected to schedules, and owner / manager rules.

The secret is in the planning .... and perhaps on compromising, like you can start on your own, full time, then when the baby comes you can move change schedule to part time, and I am sure your clients will be willing to support you and work with you.

Be successful and fearless.

Thank you! I think that’s it, I took the plunge before to open my salon, and I need that same outlook again! Thank you for your advice it’s been really helpful!

Latest posts

Back