Employed/self employed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttaylor

Reaction score
Ok so I'm going out of my mind! I really don't know what to do, I'm self employed at the moment and have recently moved salon so I'm still building back up but I just can't settle, I feel stressed out all the time and just not enjoying it. I have found another salon to rent a hair which is friendlier, willing to advertise and much more appealing to me Anyway. Problem is it isn't situated with any other shops around just a school and busy road. Will it ever pick up. Or do I give up an go back to employed? I'm quite a worrier and I'm worried all the time ok I'll be on less money but less stress? It give self employed a go just in a different salon? I was busy and quite happy in the last salon. I've done pros and cons and to be honest still can't decide what to do. Sorry for bringing my problems to you all :(

Hey,

I'd say if you are unhappy you have to move on. If you're unhappy or stressed this may come out in your actual work and end product and you don't want to start doing bad jobs because you are stressed and unhappy. Before giving up and going employed I would suggest you give it one last shot with this new salon who will advertise more, are more friendlier and you actually want to go there. Also if you don't do it you'll always have the what if in your head and regret it! But if this one doesn't work then maybe go for a job but don't look for a chair and get tempted again.

Also regarding the location although shops help its all about advertising and marketing. If they give you a budget to do extra advertising, leafleting etc that's better than any shops being around. Besides in my opinion if someone is popping to the shop for milk, or fish and chips they are not going to get a quick cut on the way out. A busy road is good for passing traffic, and a school is good as children means parents, brothers, sisters etc. Not to forget teachers maybe offer them a deal. if the school is close by maybe speak to the salon owner and ask them to buy the school football team the shirts or something to get in with the school.

Anyway good luck in whatever you do.....

There are so many variables to take into account it would be impossible for anyone to tell you what you should do :hug:

I do however think that some people are better suited to working for themselves than others, just the their own personal make-up! I know I definately prefer working for myself, making the decisions, being responsible for everything, not taking orders etc lol but not everyone can cope.

We all have to aim for a work/life balance that suits us as individuals and for me that means as little stress as I can possibly manage (failing miserably on that front at the mo but nothing to do with work!)

I think you need to not only weigh up the pros and cons for work, ie income, against the more personal things like stress and enjoyment from work.

Thanks for the replies guys both very good and helpful. It's really tough as the salon I was working in I was really happy and very busy, I suppose I was comfortable. But it changed back to employed and that wasn't what I wanted at the time I know I have the potential to earn well and do well but I'm completely battered now. Plus we are trying to buy a house that's ment to be exciting and all I feel is upset because of all this :(

Oh gosh it's got worse, I have spoken to a lady from a salon locally an says she might have something in a few months (employed) so I thought ok I might just wait around for that. But as soon as I think I have made up my mind i start thinking again! The self employed salon is fab and my only real worry is weather I will get on still as self employed. It then in back of my mind always says well you can always do employed again but surely the moves are going to lose me customers. So I decided to give my clients a call to get feedback on How they liked the salon I had moved to , it wasn't all good and already nearly lost 2 and now scared of losing them anyway should I just move to the self employed salon to help retain some clients at least?? Take the gamble

I hope this isn't too confusing for everyone and would really appreciate some help as all I am is in tears all the time now and really need to do something about it :(

Anyone? Help please :(

I can only say what I did before really.

Just want to bump this up a bit just incase any one has any other advice. I know I must be driving everyone mad with me decision making but have really found all this very difficult and especially with buying a house :/

Basically I'm asking what would you do in my position? Employed or slef employed given I need money ? Xx

Well this is only my opinion so please don't make your mind up on what I say ;)

I've been self employed for 7 years now but only as mobile. I like the fact that my hours are fairly flexible and that I can more or less please myself. I enjoy working on my own and making my own decisions and have no-one else to answer to.. I earn a good living although sometimes I can be so busy that I meet myself coming back lol!

I'd never work for anyone else again (unless things went tits up for me), I'm happy being my own boss :)

The down side is that I miss having a laugh and gossip with the other girls each day, but I've got lots of hairdresser friends that I can have a gossip with ;)

Good luck with your decision :)

Well this is only my opinion so please don't make your mind up on what I say ;)

I've been self employed for 7 years now but only as mobile. I like the fact that my hours are fairly flexible and that I can more or less please myself. I enjoy working on my own and making my own decisions and have no-one else to answer to.. I earn a good living although sometimes I can be so busy that I meet myself coming back lol!

I'd never work for anyone else again (unless things went tits up for me), I'm happy being my own boss :)

The down side is that I miss having a laugh and gossip with the other girls each day, but I've got lots of hairdresser friends that I can have a gossip with ;)

Good luck with your decision :)

Thankyou for your reply, I know exactly what you mean, I love being self employed for the flexibility and the fact I can offer things for my clients I can't being employed. But I am a stress head and really suffer from anxiety. I have had to move salons in march and having to build back up, I feel I can't stay where I am now but if I move to this other salon for self employed I'm worried I won't get the clientele or I will still worry all the time. So I have been offered a employed position in quite a growing salon for £1000 a month with potential to earn more. With having a mortgage about to start next month I am worrying about money. I also worry that now I have been offered another secure option if I don't take it now I will miss out as if it doesn't work out self employed I have exhausted all the salons I would have liked to work in. :(
I'm trying to figure out which I think is more long term as I don't want to keep moving. I've already had to move quite a lot either to better myself or things going wrong (4 salons). I've already been told my c.v is colourful. Never thought all this would have happened to me, I'm a loyal person but somehow alway seem to land myself in a mess!

You sound so much like me! First of all I would try and get some help for your anxiety problems. This will make such a difference. I love being self employed but I too miss the social bit of having work mates. It can be a worry if you you haven't a proper client base and need that money coming in. I recently thought about moving to be an employee but I make in a week what she was offering for a month so I decided against it. I would give it another few months self employed to see how it goes before making your mind up. You don't want to let your new boss down either so if your not sure stick at what your doing. This is good coming from me because I change my mind about things all the time. We seem really similar. I got help for anxiety and I'm much better now. My family tell me what they think too and even if I don't want to hear it sometimes they are normally right. Especially as they know how I am. Hope this helps a wee bit. X

You sound so much like me! First of all I would try and get some help for your anxiety problems. This will make such a difference. I love being self employed but I too miss the social bit of having work mates. It can be a worry if you you haven't a proper client base and need that money coming in. I recently thought about moving to be an employee but I make in a week what she was offering for a month so I decided against it. I would give it another few months self employed to see how it goes before making your mind up. You don't want to let your new boss down either so if your not sure stick at what your doing. This is good coming from me because I change my mind about things all the time. We seem really similar. I got help for anxiety and I'm much better now. My family tell me what they think too and even if I don't want to hear it sometimes they are normally right. Especially as they know how I am. Hope this helps a wee bit. X

Oh I wish I could make my mind up. In not earning fantastic anymore as I lost a lot of clients when I moved and have since lost a couple more and only gained a couple. Because we are buying a house it all seems pressure to be earning. As my boyfriends job has gone a bit quieter too. I ideally like the money and flexibility of self employed but the stress is too much. But in the same feel gutted to give it all up. I just don't think there is a salon that is really jumping out at me at the moment but I need to do something quick for the money. This employed job scares me slightly as its not the trendier version of a village salon if you get what I mean, it's still in the same village but bit more trendy. I'm so terrified of making the wrong decision and regretting it :( have thought about packing it all in and starting with something new completely :( x

....... And breathe lovely! :) ok honey you're stressing out far too much and waaaaaay over thinking this. The thing is hun we all make mistakes, that becomes harder when money is involved but you really need to take a beat and look at the whole picture- from a money perspective, from a career progression perspective, quality of life for you, enjoyment, work/life balance and so on. Dont just think it, write it down in black and white.

Sadly lovely no one can make that decision on here for you. Talk to your partner, weigh everything up and when you make that decision stick by it and dont constantly think of the what ifs. Dont forget whilst no one likes to make mistakes, we do also learn from them.

If your anxiety is really troubling you and your decision making, get yourself to the doctors honey and i say this from experience :)

Good luck lovely, be firm, be strong, have courage and have confidence.

Big x

....... And breathe lovely! :) ok honey you're stressing out far too much and waaaaaay over thinking this. The thing is hun we all make mistakes, that becomes harder when money is involved but you really need to take a beat and look at the whole picture- from a money perspective, from a career progression perspective, quality of life for you, enjoyment, work/life balance and so on. Dont just think it, write it down in black and white.

Sadly lovely no one can make that decision on here for you. Talk to your partner, weigh everything up and when you make that decision stick by it and dont constantly think of the what ifs. Dont forget whilst no one likes to make mistakes, we do also learn from them.

If your anxiety is really troubling you and your decision making, get yourself to the doctors honey and i say this from experience :)

Good luck lovely, be firm, be strong, have courage and have confidence.

Big x

Thankyou for this I am really struggling with my anxiety and depression right now and have done for many years but when things get tough I fold :( this is why I'm worried that self employed may not be the thing for me right now while I have the pressures of buying a house. I'm beating my self up as I am not 100% convinced on either situation and not sure weather I should just wait it out till I find something in comfortable with or go for it as I may never be able to make the decision as I am my own boss. But I think I need to end this now for my own sanity. Does that sound reasonable? X

Latest posts

Back