Employee & angry father!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would pay her for her trial day even if you didn't say you would as a goodwill gesture and I would have to agree with others and get rid of her, too much hassle! Shame for her but you are running a business! Hope you get it sorted out. X

While I understand this I a very trying and frustrating time for you, I do feel that this should be resolved in private between you, the girl, her father and the police &/or a lawyer rather than on public forum

I feel given the nature of your post and public way you have gone about things , that if anyone else involved in this matter reads the post it could make the situation worse.

The girl and her father in question could take action legal action against you for slander or it could trigger her father to carry out his threats...........

Unless you have proof which beyond reasonable doubt you can not make wild accusations in public that the girl was behind her fathers behaviour....that is slander!

If her father is trying to obtain money through menaces (threaten behaviour) then this a police matter.

I am an ex policewoman and feel that you deal with this in house rather than on here.

Craig, I used to live next door to a man who had aggressive verbal outbursts like this, completely unprovoked.

I called the police for advice, and they said it should be logged, and that it was clearly verbal harrassment. I was given reference numbers and told to call again if anything of the kind was to happen again. Needless to say it did! To cut a long story short, we ended up moving, because as sure as the sun comes up every morning, one of us wouldn't be around anymore!

This young lady's father's behaviour does seem to be unreasonable, and considering you thought so highly of her skills initially, it really is a shame that you should loose a willing team player.

Also worth remembering that he came onto your premises uninvited. My neighbour used to come in my garden, (uninvited), and the police actually told me this was trespassing. Worth considering.

Hope you get it sorted. Why oh why people cannot live like decent human beings I will never know.

I think it is fine posting on here, as you have not named the people involved.

I also think that this is most definitely the girls fault as well as her fathers. If he is known to be a violent man, then his daughter will know this also. Any information she divulges to him, will be done so with the knowledge that her father will intimidate and bully to get what she wants. I see it as she is 'setting' her father on you. If she did not want this to be happening, she would not be telling him these things. That silly little girl is sat there whispering in to her daddy's ear, and watching him fly. Disgusting.

I think that you need to cut your losses, ask to meet up in a public place with the view of resolving the matter, pay her trial day and then inform her and her psycho dad that they are not welcome in the salon EVER again, and you will be no longer requiring her to work in the salon.

Good luck.xx

While I understand this I a very trying and frustrating time for you, I do feel that this should be resolved in private between you, the girl, her father and the police &/or a lawyer rather than on public forum

I feel given the nature of your post and public way you have gone about things , that if anyone else involved in this matter reads the post it could make the situation worse.

The girl and her father in question could take action legal action against you for slander or it could trigger her father to carry out his threats...........

Unless you have proof which beyond reasonable doubt you can not make wild accusations in public that the girl was behind her fathers behaviour....that is slander!

Sorry but with respect I disagree with you on this. Slander is defamation of character (speaking it - not written) and op is merely telling us what the father had said or done plus we do not know who they are. Of course they have to be careful. Slander is a civil matter not a police matter and very hard to prove.
Why have I answered because I currently work for the police x

I think it is fine posting on here, as you have not named the people involved.

I also think that this is most definitely the girls fault as well as her fathers. If he is known to be a violent man, then his daughter will know this also. Any information she divulges to him, will be done so with the knowledge that her father will intimidate and bully to get what she wants. I see it as she is 'setting' her father on you. If she did not want this to be happening, she would not be telling him these things. That silly little girl is sat there whispering in to her daddy's ear, and watching him fly. Disgusting.

I think that you need to cut your losses, ask to meet up in a public place with the view of resolving the matter, pay her trial day and then inform her and her psycho dad that they are not welcome in the salon EVER again, and you will be no longer requiring her to work in the salon.

Good luck.xx

I am sorry but thts completely outrageous and completely presumptious on your part. I tell my folks about my day, I don't expect my father to go flying off handle and threatening to punch someone.

The issue with the father is completely seperate issue to the one with the girl being sacked.
She was sacked not because her work was poor or bad or her threatening her boss or working mates she was sacked because her father did something. NOT her.

If she didn't want him doing anything she wouldn't tell him these things... from what your saying does the same thing apply to to the follwing situation - when a girl gets attacked because a woman wears short skirt she "deserves" being attacked??? Because shes encouraging a man to attack her? By wearing the skirt she's provoking him?
think about it, because this girl told her dad she thought her wages were wrong. HE has gone and done this himself. NOT the same as her saying Oh dad go round and threaten my old boss is it?

Last edited:
Are you being serious??!!

She surely knows that her father is an aggressive man. It was stated that he is well known for violent outbursts. She is sat in the car whilst her aggressive father bullies her employers. Surely she is aware that this will lose her her job?

I have known someone who functioned in the same way. So not at all presumptuous.

After all...we are all entitled to an opinion. You choose to see her actions as being without motive. I see a different side. Both are POSSIBILITIES. Mine may not be right, but then maybe yours isn't anyway. I get the feeling that this is what is happening. I was not involved, so therefor cannot be certain.

Your last sentence was so at odds with the argument, Im not even going to argue it. Totally different situation.

I mean your last red writing sentence. I am not saying you are wrong. But my opinion is that she is not innocent in this.

Firstly, I would have no contact whatsoever with the girl or her father. Contact the police, and insist that any contact goes through their solicitors if they genuinely think they've been hard done to. it IS the girls fault aswell, because these rumours that her dad is going to "do you in" have come from her, not the dad, showing that she supports her dads actions. She is a silly little girl who thinks she can get what she wants because she's got a "hard dad" who'll sort it all out for her, and actually as it was her who brought him into the salon I think that your gross misconduct clauses would be applicable in this situation. In any case she herself has made threats of violence on behalf of her dad so of course you can sack her for gross misconduct. I was a legal executive in employment law for 10 years and actually, contrary to what someone else has posted, she will have next to no chance of an ET claim because she simply hasnt been working for you for long enough to have accrued the right to take you to ET (with the exception of some claims such as not being paid what they are owed etc, but certainly not for being sacked for gross misconduct). Have a look on the Employment Tribunals website if you are worried, it will outline for you what someone with that length of service can and cant claim for.

Have to say, sometimes "no reaction" is the best action to take.
Chances are the girl, and her Father will get bored and move on.

I would just get shot of her.
I am guessing as you have just taken her on she is still on her trial period. pay her what she is owed and tell her its not working out. you cant put up with this in your salon. Definately log it with the police.

Seriously I'm shocked by people blaming this girl for this and blame,blame,blame - and that you think its ok she's sacked (from a job she was good at) because her dad did something.

I think too much has happened now for the girl to ever be given a fair "trial" job with the salon, and I genuinely hope none of you ever find yourself in a similar situation and you're blamed for your relatives wrongdoing and lose your job over it. My brothers were complete ruffians - one of them could fight with a mirror reflection but I have never had their reputations influence my life, and nor should they.

Reactions: Rhe
Seriously I'm shocked by people blaming this girl for this and blame,blame,blame - and that you think its ok she's sacked (from a job she was good at) because her dad did something.

I think too much has happened now for the girl to ever be given a fair "trial" job with the salon, and I genuinely hope none of you ever find yourself in a similar situation and you're blamed for your relatives wrongdoing and lose your job over it. My brothers were complete ruffians - one of them could fight with a mirror reflection but I have never had their reputations influence my life, and nor should they.

'Virtual' like til on laptop! My brother too is ruffian but not affected my life at all 😏

This will not happen to anyone here as I would hope that non of us would threaten our employer with our fathers aggressive fist. So I think we are all good on that side of things.

I think that like everyone says, avoid this situation. The situation has become threatening, regardless of who's to blame. The only option is to attempt to stay away from anyone involved with the aggressive side. That is just common sense.

I think you need to at least log down everything that has happened, including dates and possibly times if you remember them. Doesn't hurt to inquire with the police as to what is the best course of action. Wishing you the best of luck with this horrible situation.x

You know something? I would pay her for the trial day and sack her for gross misconduct in sending her father in to threaten you. Rise above scumbags. They are clearly desperate for the crumbs of what you have.
That days pay cost her a job, stupid chavvy family.
Inform the police the moment any of them set foot in your salon again.

Unfortuneatly and sorry to say but after 17 years of trainees/and sometimes qualified staff,dealing with the family is the worst part.
Weve had our fair share of nightmare parents over the years and no matter how good the staff member may be at their job,sometimes the ructions it can cause among other staff members and yourself its just not worth it.

Its a sad thing to say and i know its not her fault if her father behaves in this way,however when i started my training at 16,my parents respected the fact that i was growing up and entering into the adult world of work and so pursuaded me to fight my own corner.I would have been mortified if my parents had kicked off like that.And for it then not to even be acknowledged by her is just bizarre behaviour.

Basically if i was in your position,i probably would pay her for the trial day as a thank you but wouldnt take her on permanently.

Others can curse you on here for it,and im sure they will,but instinct is pretty good for these things and if your having trouble now,you will never feel able to treat her like the rest of the staff for fear of her father turning up and causing an issue in your salon.

If she was on a trial etc and the law states you dont have to keep her on and you really feel its more trouble than its worth,do what you feel is right.

No doubt i will be penalised for this post but its my honest opinion and im sticking with it :lick:

From my reading of the op's comments she was party to her dad's behaviour, making a point of telling other employees her dad would 'sort it'. She doesn't sound that blameless to me.

I hope your'e not penalised for your opinion. I think it's a very valid one, clearly coming from a lady with knowledge and experience.

Well said.

Sorry, a late reply to Crazybek

I hope your'e not penalised for your opinion. I think it's a very valid one, clearly coming from a lady with knowledge and experience.

Well said.

Thank you x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back