Employee that I can't trust

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popart

Reaction score
Hey geeks! Need some advice.

Me and my business partner wer away on holidays for a week and had our employees in charge. One whom works on the hairdressing department uncharged a client by £30! She then used our colours twice in the one week to colour her hair leaving us without 2 sets of colours. She then opened up one of my retail products used it and put it back in the box on the shelf. One of the beauticians noticed this and said she cant do that she has to pay so she took the product without paying for it! She is back in work on Friday, she is through the books for 16 hours per week. What can I do?

HELP!

I thought of that but under what grounds? She could do me more damage if I was to fire her legally.

I dont have my own business but surely theft is gross misconduct and is on the spot reason to fire her?!!!

how have u found out about this do u have proof, or is it something uve been told?

I think the thing that shocked me the most about your thread is, that you went on holidays with your business partner! :lol:

All joking aside... I would have serious words with this girl and ask her if she took the product without paying for it. If she admits to it, then as far as I know you can sack her for gross misconduct, but everything that has happened is all word of mouth, so thread carefully and ask her for her side of the story first.

If you give her any kind of warning, just make sure there is a witness in the room.

Hope you get it sorted. :hug:

EDIT... Sorry missLB and kellytaylor88 I was slow at typing there and I've just repeated you both :)

Its alway recorded on our diary and database of prices charged to clients. The girl we left in charge informed us when we wer on holidays but we couldnt do anything until we came back. Obviously the lip gloss is not there as everything is counted and recorded after every working day.
Yeah we are bestfriends and she is engaged to my brother lol.

Hi

Firstly, how long has she been with you and are you sure she is not being picked on because she doesn't fit in!

Ensure you have all the evidence and facts you need and set aside a time for a review. Give her notice of when the review will take place. Don't go by hearsay alone, get statements from other staff of what they witnessed.

At the review ask her to explain the uncharged amount of £30.00.
Ask if she coloured her hair whilst you were away and if she asked permission from anyone in charge. (Sometimes, staff are totally oblivious to rules and regs) and that's not an excuse for her actions either.
Ask about the retail product.

Give her a chance to explain herself.

If she cannot come up with any genuine answers (which she probably won't), give her a verbal warning.

If she has been with you for less than a year you can dismiss her on the grounds of theft, without any comeback. I understand even if she has been with you for over a year, you can still dismiss. Theft is theft! However, make sure you are correct in your findings before accusing her.

Not a nice situation to be in but if you don't nip it in the bud it will continue and not set a good example to other staff how you manage your business.

Good luck

She is the senior hair stylist and believe me she isnt get picked on lol.

She is here a over a year now (October 11) I will get all evidence gathered up and def have a word.

It is a hateful position to be in cause we dont want her "picking" on the girl who reported it either :S

Hopefully we will get sorted, thank you so much for all your advice.

This is where u need assistance acas will guide u thro it.
or n.h.f I pay my fees just for their legal help and boy hav I used it time n time again after 12 year owning a salon! Employees have lots of rights u can't fire them on the spot ! I hav had stealing, bulling, Lazyness, drunkenness, absence, incompnance !!! But u must record and take the first steps cos they only get worse. :) good luck b strong !

Thank you!

So stressful that u cant trust anyone anymore. Thank you for your advice I will look that up.

xx

Definitely speak to ACAS, they were super helpful when we had to let someone go in my old job.

I would hazard a guess only that theft is gross misconduct and you maybe can fire them for that, but speak to ACAS to make sure you you go through the proper channels.

This is where u need assistance acas will guide u thro it.
or n.h.f I pay my fees just for their legal help and boy hav I used it time n time again after 12 year owning a salon! Employees have lots of rights u can't fire them on the spot ! I hav had stealing, bulling, Lazyness, drunkenness, absence, incompnance !!! But u must record and take the first steps cos they only get worse. :) good luck b strong !

Too true. I've had to give my girl a final warning this morning for her behaviour. It always seems to fall on deaf ears though and I'm pretty sure leopards don't change their spots. Xx

I thought of that but under what grounds? She could do me more damage if I was to fire her legally.

Theft!
Taking with out asking whether putting a colour on, products, or cash from the till is all theft.
Larger companies would not put up with it and instant dismissal would be the only option for me.

Theft!
Taking with out asking whether putting a colour on, products, or cash from the till is all theft.
Larger companies would not put up with it and instant dismissal would be the only option for me.

I know so true! Well this morning first thing was said is how much do I owe u for the lipgloss so quite relieved but still doesnt give justice to the fact of under-charging clients. <3

Did you also ask for payment for her hair?

from Debbie's HTC Sense

Latest posts

Back