Employees and meals whilst on courses!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooks

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I have searched for this but I didn't come up with anything.

When your employees go away on a course do you pay for their meals?

It doesn't say that I will do this in the contract, it states I will pay for travel costs,course costs and accommodation.

My new employee is going on a 4 day course very soon and I feel I should be putting something towards her meals, I think I would expect it otherwise it's costing her money she wouldn't normally be spending.

I would appreciate your advice on this.

Thanks all!

Zooks

i would think the cost of a meal will be well worth it as it will generate a fair bit of goodwill, your staff member will be chuffed she's got a "little extra" x

Does she not normally eat at home? How about paying her back 50% of what she spends ? X

Does she not normally eat at home? How about paying her back 50% of what she spends ? X

I'm sure she does eat at home, but it would be an awful lot more expensive to eat in a restaurant! When I've been away from home on business or on a course (in a previous life) my expenses, including meals have always been paid for by my employer

I think if your paying for her course to improve her skills she should pay towards her meals

Was it optional or have you made her do it? X if optional give her a small amount towards or 50% as I previously said. If you have said she has to do the course then really you should pay for it

I've been away before on a course and to shows and have always had hotel and transport paid and been given something like £10 per day towards food which is fine for McDonald's or make it up if going elsewhere. X

I would give x amount per day towards meals. Probably a tenner which I think is more than enough. You also have to remember the benefit to the member of staff from the training training. I hope you have also included a 'you must never leave' clause - or maybe after x amount of time, x amount of money should be repaid.

Sorry Zooks. A bit vague tonight. Don't drink cocktails midweek lol xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would give x amount per day towards meals. Probably a tenner which I think is more than enough. You also have to remember the benefit to the member of staff from the training training. I hope you have also included a 'you must never leave' clause - or maybe after x amount of time, x amount of money should be repaid.

Sorry Zooks. A bit vague tonight. Don't drink cocktails midweek lol xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Midweek cocktails?! I'm missing out! lol.

I don't know if it's any help to u, My husband works in security and when the company he works for send him away on mandatory courses or even optional ones he has all his travel and accommodation paid for and a meal allowance. It's about £10 per day charged to their rooms. It's very specific what can be charged and when he charged a coke to the room the company did bill him for it. I suppose it's a bit different beings his employer is a huge global company but this might give you some idea.

Where i used to work we had the course costs paid for but all transport, meals etc we had to pay for ourselves!

I'd pay an allowance rather than everything. You seem like a fab employer Zooks!

As it is a 4 day course you've booked her on to and she won't be able to sort herself something for breakfast or cook a meal in the evening when she gets home because she's staying at a hotel I'd say you should be giving her something for food and remembering that she needs 3 meals a day too.

Maybe you could book breakfast & evening meal for her at her hotel and ask her to cover her own lunch just as she would at work.

It's a long time since I worked away for a company, but I believe you're obliged to pay for her breakfast (is the accommodation B&B?) and definitely evening meals - subject to a reasonable daily limit.

Lunch is different as most of us have to pack a lunch or buy one from a cafe when we're working anyway.

Better to set a limit she is allowed to spend, and refund after she gives you a receipt. A "per diem" allowance will give rise to additional tax liability for your employee.

I'm NOT an accountant - can you check with yours about this?

Thanks Geeks,

Her lunch is paid for as part of her course so that's not a worry. Breakfast isn't currently included. I was going to say I would put £10 a day towards food, I think I am being fair that way?

If she is prepared then she can take breakfast bars if needed and £10 should buy at least the majority of her dinner.

Squidgernetball midweek cocktails?! I am jealous! And yes I have a good clause in place.

I truly want to be a good employer :)

Latest posts

Back