Employees and their families

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooks

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I have another one for you!

I don't charge my Mum for treatments, I charge her enough to cover costs on a very rare occasion and that's it. I charge my friends, even my best ones, full price. I have an new employee starting and she has just mailed me asking to buy a voucher for a family member at Christmas.

Do you give your employees a percentage off for a certain number of people? Just close family?

I am tempted to give the voucher as a welcome gift as she has been brilliant but I don't want to set myself up for something before we really start!

Zooks

I would start as you mean to carry on. When I rented a room in a golf club, the owner would come for treatments and pay full price.

She is working for you for a wage. She may ask about doing her mum cheaper treatments or a file and polish for her sister but I would negotiate those as you go.

On the odd occasion my daughter did her friends I would request a token amount to cover product, she wouldn't get paid while she was doing them and they could only have short notice appointments - these were young students! Everybody I do, including my bessie mates pay full price.

I often wanted to go to friends for treatments but their refusal to take payments made me very uncomfortable.

I would take the money for the voucher as offered.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

That would be very nice of you to give that as a gift! Positive & welcoming which seems to rare among our breed!..... I always have a lower cost for close friends/family, personally. It's sometimes good for newbees whom are not booked up to have their familia in for practice & product knowledge plus it helps build confidence.

As long as your product costs are covered fully & she will still be the phone/walkin helper while doing her familia. Give a limited time if you want to offer this like 6 months then they start paying more than cost for regular shift appointments.

I would do my familia usually after hours or on a day off if they were paying product cost only or when I was slow due to managing & booking walkins with the newer girls to build clientell.

Plus for new staff, it looks good if they are doing a "client" to the outward world & not always sitting around without clients.This is just my experience from the past.

I would probably sell her the voucher at a slightly reduced price because the voucher is to be used by someone else.

I would save any 'rewards' for the employee directly so she gets the benefit of it.

Last edited:
Thank you as always geeks. What d you tend to do for perks for your staff? I wouldn't be offering it to everyone , not friends either, strictly family. I feel she would benefit by having them in especially to start with to build her confidence.

When I worked in a salon we were allowed 20% off treatments & products ourselves. We could then nominate 2 family or friends to receive 10% on all treatments but not on products & no one else got any discounts or freebies. None of those discounts were valid for gift vouchers.

Other perks were incentives to hit selling targets such as 1-3 products depending on how much you sold or a free uniform etc

Hope this helps x

Latest posts

Back