Employee's work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anybody

Reaction score
Hi All,

I haven’t posted here in years. Not since I very first started my training 7 years ago!

In that time I’ve managed to build a fantastic client base and reputation and open my own salon.

I’ve recently taken on an employee to cope with the increasing demand.

However, having never had one single unsatisfied client in my career, I’ve now had two complaints in the space of a month from clients that my new employee has done services for. I’m mortified.

In every other sense this lady is perfect for my business. Her application of products is just sometimes a bit rushed and messy. An issue that without a doubt needs addressing.

How do I go about broaching this subject with her?? I need to have a chat and explain that her standard of work needs to improve. However, I know she’ll be upset. I’m a perfectionist and have very high standards for my own work but I know everyone’s standards are different.

I know I’m first and foremost her boss but I’d like to tackle this without offending her. I am a novice at being an employer and have no idea how to have this conversation without damaging our working relationship.

Any advice would be hugely, hugely appreciated.

Many thanks.

I know I’m first and foremost her boss but I’d like to tackle this without offending her. I am a novice at being an employer and have no idea how to have this conversation without damaging our working relationship.

You don’t need staff to like you, you need them to respect you.

Being a good boss isn’t about being bossy. It’s about having good communication skills and providing a supportive environment.
We all have to broach difficult conversations when employing staff so aim to tackle issues head on without unnecessary waffle.

You can start off with saying something positive about her current practices but then go straight into what you need her to change. If you spend too long trying to flatter her ego with praise, she won’t actually ‘hear’ the problem that needs addressing.

Always set out your expectations at the beginning of each day and never assume that someone automatically knows what’s required of them unless you spell it out for them. When you’ve explained the problem/solution, ask your staff member to go back through it with you, so you can check they’ve understood the issue. You might have emphasised the wrong bit and skirted over the actual problem area.

No-one else will ever put as much effort into your business as you do so forget perfection and aim for ‘good enough’. Set high standards but not impossible ones.

You could try what we call a s**t sandwich. Something positive, address the issue, finish with something else positive

When you have a client give you feedback, be very grateful and thank your client. Say that you will address this training issue but also express confidence in your employee. Say how well she is fitting in and how pleased you are with her work and that other client feedback has been very favourable. Be generous in your response to the complaint. Correct the work yourself and ask if they will return for a complimentary repeat next time with your new girl and see whether it's improved.

Then sit down with your new starter and ask her how she is enjoying her job and how she feels the last month has gone. Listen to the reply.

Tell her that you have had 2 complaints. Before you get into the detail, say straight away that your clients are used to the way you do things so you understand there will be a few teething issues and that on the whole you are very happy with her work and the start that she has made. Then explain that of course complaints are worrying because usually, for every complaint received there are another 9 people thinking the same thing but not complaining.

Say that you need to talk to her about the complaints but firstly, you want to ask if there is anything that she feels unsure about that you need to go through with her. Also ask if she feels she needs more support and help settling clients because for 7 years it's always been you and now clients have to get used to a change.

Then discuss the 2 complaints. Be very clear about what actions would have avoided the problem.
Eg, technical skill: if you pinch the skin firmly away from the nail, and you've pushed back the cuticles you can paint quite close to the cuticle without smudging.

Set out your expectations clearly about how you work, don't expect a new starter to "get it". I once employed a girl who'd worked in a Spa before and heard her refusing to add a service because it wasn't booked. She was very friendly about it and reassured the client that they could book it for next time, but there was no awareness that she could just say yes and do the additional treatment. When I remonstrated with her afterwards, she was baffled. She would have been in trouble in the Spa for amending the treatment booked in any way. It just wasn't allowed, she couldn't even ask about it. The answer would always be "no".

Stay very relaxed and calm, be concerned, not angry. Make it clear that you are trying to understand how the problem that caused the complaint happened, so that you can ensure it doesn't occur again. It's not a telling off.

End the meeting with an agreed action plan, maybe you need to go over a few things with her (staff induction to turn an employee into an acceptable sustitute for you takes three months) and keep an eye on her and your clients.

Clients don't like change. Prepare your clients for accepting someone else. Talk about your new girl to your clients, say how pleased you are with her work and how well she is fitting in. Explain the benefits to them of no longer having just you - explain that now there will be improved availability because you hate saying "sorry I can't do that for you today, I'm too busy". Ask your clients to book with her. When clients book, make it clear who their therapist will be, create excitement, don't say "I'm sorry I can't fit you in", say "she does a beautiful pedicure". Give clients a choice - say " you can have X at (the day and time requested) or (pull face, hesitate) I'm free (different day/time).

During the day make sure that you prepare each client for their first treatment with your new employee. Greet each client personally on arrival. If you can, show them into the room, remind them that they're having your new therapist and discuss the treatment and then bring in your new girl and hand your client over explaining what you've discussed with your client. At the end of the treatment, make sure you take their payment and ask them if they enjoyed your treatment. If it's a pedi or mani, check in with the client during their treatment, admire the colour choice, comment favourably on the nail shape and say something complimentary to your therapist "you do paint beautifully" or just "good work".

Basically take a very keen interest in your client's experience. Reassure your client and know what's going on in your own salon. Do this in a supportive way so your therapist feels valued, encouraged and praised, not inspected because she's not trusted.

Latest posts

Back