Employer left no notice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cardell

Reaction score
Need a bit of legal advice.. I employed a person for part time reception work. After her third day's shift ended she had her hair done, the bill came to around £160 this included products she took home and the actual service. As she was finishing up she had a call to say her nan had died, she immediately cried and left (didn't pay). She was then due in the next day to work. That evening I got a text saying she needed time off but will be back to work soon. she never came back, she ignored all contact from me until she text me a week later asking (to put it shortly) if I've sacked her because her nan died!! I replied with "no I've been waiting to hear from you" etc. She kept texting "you've sacked me because of my nan haven't you?!" like she wanted me to say yes I've sacked you so she could do me for unfair dismissal or something it was very odd. Anyway I offered her to come back to work the day after and she suddenly ignored me again (as I guessed she would), she never turned up that day so I left it again. The wages she was owed for the 3 days equated to the cost of the hair services so I just left it as equal thinking she thought the same as no contact again. Suddenly 2 weeks later she's sending me very rude texts demanding her pay. I told her she hasn't paid for the hair services - expecting her to say "oh Yh with all the nan drama I forgot" but now she's claiming she HAS paid and I owe her money, I wasn't there that day but all my staff have said she hasn't paid, she also keep changing her story as to who she paid and she 'can't remember' how much she paid.

Can someone give me advise on what to do. Should I send her a bill for the hair? She's saying she's going to take me to court over it. Her texts are getting pretty nasty and my staff are scared she's going to come in.

I would say her not turning up or requesting time off, she effectively dismissed herself as did not follow any procedures expected of any workplace. If she only did 3 days I would say that as she did not complete her trial period you are unable to continue with her employment. Not paying for services or products is theft so tell her her bill has been deducted from her wages. She can't do you for unfair dismissal as not been employed long enough. She hasn't a leg to stand on but tell her to go ahead and see how she gets on!

Sounds like some sort of scam she's pulled

Seek legal advice, but don't pay her anything until you have seen a lawyer

In the meantime screenshot all texts and cease contact with her from now on and forward them onto your lawyer.

He/she will advise how to deal with this.

I very much doubt she will take you to court as the evidence is stacked against her.

You will have till and card machine print outs to prove she has not paid along with staff witnessing her not paying?
Do you have CCTV

If she becomes more threatening call the police.

Send a letter to her with her wages and notice of termination of her employment. Forget the hair bill, she sounds like an absolute effing nutcase.

I think she is trying things on.

I would suggest writing a letter stating the facts as you see them ( very succinctly and totally unemotionally ).You may be able to get help with a 1/ hour free slot with a solicitor, or to be honest it may be worth paying for an hour of their time so you can write a legally correct letter.

Say how many days she worked, what she earned, her leave of absence, your attempts to contact her, stating that her accusing you of 'sacking her cos of her nan's death' was completely not the case. Her hair treatment - ask for receipt to show she paid / other evidence etc.

Stating where your final position is and then finish by saying you are now seeking legal advice and any further correspondence from her on the matter ( letter, e-mail, text etc) will be forwarded on to your solicitor.

Nip it in the bud..or it might come back to bite you.!

We do have cctv but it's been a while and it's no longer on file.

She's just text me again threatening me saying she's coming in today to collect her wages in full. I called 101 who said if she causes a seen to call them but there's nothing more they can do which I suppose is fair enough. She said she contacted some helplines yesterday who obv told her she hasn't a leg to stand on and now she's trying the threatening route.

Go to a solicitor, explain what has happened and get them to write to her.
Keep all evidence of communications.
Often an official letter puts a stop to anything further.
If you have to pay it will still be worth it.

Soooooo what happened in the end OP?

We do have cctv but it's been a while and it's no longer on file.

She's just text me again threatening me saying she's coming in today to collect her wages in full. I called 101 who said if she causes a seen to call them but there's nothing more they can do which I suppose is fair enough. She said she contacted some helplines yesterday who obv told her she hasn't a leg to stand on and now she's trying the threatening route.

I have or was in HR for 20 years prior to my career change. Let me know if you need some guidance.

Unfair dismissal requires 2 years service so don't worry about that. She has failed to make positive cintact during her time off. Did you make contact at all.

After 3 days I would terminate her employment pay any outstanding salary and call it a day. Be very careful on reason for termination, due to death in family as this would have more impact on your reputation.
Let me know if I can further.

I have or was in HR for 20 years prior to my career change. Let me know if you need some guidance.

Unfair dismissal requires 2 years service so don't worry about that. She has failed to make positive cintact during her time off. Did you make contact at all.

After 3 days I would terminate her employment pay any outstanding salary and call it a day. Be very careful on reason for termination, due to death in family as this would have more impact on your reputation.
Let me know if I can further.

Sorry I forgot to add that she is legally entitled to any payment due regards of what she owes. As for the money owed unless she signed to say you can recover this from my salary then I am afraid you will need to purse this via alternative means.

Did she come in?

So. After several threats to "trash" both my businesses and "drag another member of staff out onto the street" we agreed at £60 wages and forget the debt. I paid the girl, she said thank you and I heard nothing since. What a complete nut case! And to think her references were good!

They could of been fake or she was given good refs just to get rid of her

Latest posts

Back