employer or employee??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire21nire

Reaction score
Hi guys im thinking of opening my own salon in the future! Does anyone fancy giving me some tips? Beauty and nails by the way!
How much on average do you think i would need to begin with? Maybe thats a silly question but any oideas roughly??:)

I have been self employed for over a year and was hoping to get my own salon, but alas Icould not afford to. I have ended up in a hairdressers - a really good one. I am now quite gratefull as I know how much money is required to keep myself afloat on a premises least of all if I had major over heads of a salon.

I had no previouse experience of running a business and doing this first has given me some idea of what is needed. I think unless you know good technicians willing to work for you who have clients already it will be tougher than you think.

I dont want to be negative as I would love my own salon one day and am hopefully working towards it (i am taking on a saturday girl this week) but it has been a hard year for me getting started - harder than I thought.

All the best.

Hi Claire

Do you mean how much do you need financially? That all depends on what you have already and what you want to be able to offer when you start.

Start by writing a list of the treatments you wish to offer and then get hold of a supplier booklet to give you an idea of what they all cost.

Without knowing your plans it is difficult to give you an idea.

Well I have all of my products and nail stuff to get me started for a while, i just need a place to rent do it up and stuff, need the bed and nail station etc ! I know i'm capible of it and i know a really good place, i have clients of my own who i know will follow me also with my sister being a hairdresser with a very big clientelle i think that will go in my favour, i'm just thinking about it at the minute and was just looking for some advice thanks guys!!! xxx:hug:------

I have opened my own salon and is it not very big, i thought i had most of what i needed but i have spent around 13 thousand pounds so far thats buying the business, paying solicitors fees, estate agents , rent, extra stock , furniture, paint, the list is endless, you think you dont need much but it all adds up pretty quickley.
You might be better going into business with your sister then their is two of you to pay everything and more people coming in the door.
Good luck with whatever you decide :hug:

Yea thats what i really want but my sister has just had a wee baby so dont know if she is ready to she is thinking about it though! I want to offer all the waxing make-up, spray tans, sunbeds, facials, manicures, pedicures, nail extensions etc!! I do have alot of stuff although i am aware that i will need alot more stuff, I am also aware that it will be very hard work!which i'm willing to do, It's always been my dream to have my own salon so i'm quite excited about it all! Anyone got any idea's who the best people are to speak to about opening a new salon?

You should try looking for some premises that were previously a salon or sunbed shop if possible so that it is already pretty much decorated in your favour, thats what i did and it saved alot of money! also look on ebay for salon furniture etc untill youv got more money to buy more snazzy equiptment.

Hi,

I am in the process of setting up a spa myself and as someone already said it really is surprising how quickly it all adds up, on their own each thing may not be too expensive but on the whole....!. It depends on how many treatment rooms you will have for a start - there will be 3 treatment rooms for me plus a spray tanning room and a separate nail area so everything is in multiples of course.
If you are renting then ask the landlord if they are willing to 'make good' the premises if there is any work needing doing (ours is and then all we have to do is add to it - accent wall colours etc).
I know that to get off the ground as it were I will be spending in the region of £20,000

Hope this helps

Hi,

I am in the process of setting up a spa myself and as someone already said it really is surprising how quickly it all adds up, on their own each thing may not be too expensive but on the whole....!. It depends on how many treatment rooms you will have for a start - there will be 3 treatment rooms for me plus a spray tanning room and a separate nail area so everything is in multiples of course.
If you are renting then ask the landlord if they are willing to 'make good' the premises if there is any work needing doing (ours is and then all we have to do is add to it - accent wall colours etc).
I know that to get off the ground as it were I will be spending in the region of £20,000

Hope this helps

Sounds exciting Loupy!

Sorry to hi-jack the thread Claire but what are you doing extra Loupy in your salon as I would imagine that most clients like the sound of a Spa and not just a Salon.

Try your local business link too, oh and try and enrol at a local college and do a business course.

Hi Oey,

Yeah I have been watching the thread about salons and spas - the difference!

I understand the difference but will have one main competitor in same area who describe themselves as a 'Spa' even though they have 4 rooms and do decleor treatments so need to elevate the new business to the same level basically. Lets be honest, as a customer Spa does sound more appealing than salon and times are changing, in my opinion spa's no longer HAVE to be water based....its all about levels of luxury and surroundings.

The Spa will be very luxurious in its decor and ambience, the treatments being offered are spa treatments, day packages including champagne lunches will be available - soooo hopefuly although not a spa in the truest sense of the word we will be able to raise the services offered. :)

There is a rise in urban spa's, which do not have any water treatments, but the surroundings, ambience and decor is enough to make you melt when you enter, it is seen as a retreat.
imo it needs to fit, ie in the middle of a busy high street isnt going to work as a spa, but the more tucked away places etc will do well.:)

Hi guys im thinking of opening my own salon in the future! Does anyone fancy giving me some tips? Beauty and nails by the way!
How much on average do you think i would need to begin with? Maybe thats a silly question but any oideas roughly??:)
Start off with the money you already have find somewhere with low rent and a short lease to start with . Just do the things you already do then you won't be worrying about debt, your clients will feel your worries and they need to feel relaxed. If you are good at your job and try your best with every client they will come back and then when the money starts rolling in do the place up or move to somewhere bigger with your sister.

Latest posts

Back