Employing assistant in home salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaine Armani

Reaction score
Hi!
So soon my home salon will be up and running and after I finish off my hairdressing courses I will be adding it to my services along with hair extensions and beauty.
As many of the hairdressers would know that it's convenient to have an assistant when your busy or accidentally double booked.
Especially when doing extensions it's great to have someone to assist.
I was thinking it would be great if I ever got crazy crazy busy, obviously an assistant would only be there on the busy days.

Have you/would you ?

I'm asking because its a home salon and I haven't heard of it.

Elaine. Xx

What about someone who you did your course with? I think it's a great idea but would not employ a stranger to work in my house! I've made 2 great friends through college and I wanted to convert the whole garage not just half into a salon and have them work there too - I'd feel safer knowing I was with someone aswell! If I had a down day and was fully booked I could get them to cover so I don't turn away clients Xx

Hi!
So soon my home salon will be up and running and after I finish off my hairdressing courses I will be adding it to my services along with hair extensions and beauty.
As many of the hairdressers would know that it's convenient to have an assistant when your busy or accidentally double booked.
Especially when doing extensions it's great to have someone to assist.
I was thinking it would be great if I ever got crazy crazy busy, obviously an assistant would only be there on the busy days.

Have you/would you ?

I'm asking because its a home salon and I haven't heard of it.

Elaine. Xx

Nothing to stop you employing someone in your home salon. Just ensure that you register with HMRC and set up payroll, do a contract of employment, a full H&S check, employers liability insurance, and aquaint yourself fully with the employment laws.
I checked with my HR company about zero hours contracts, and whilst they're do able, just having someone a few hours ad hoc is tricky to find. Most people want regular hours. You also have to pay 5.6 weeks holiday per year.

What about someone who you did your course with? I think it's a great idea but would not employ a stranger to work in my house! I've made 2 great friends through college and I wanted to convert the whole garage not just half into a salon and have them work there too - I'd feel safer knowing I was with someone aswell! If I had a down day and was fully booked I could get them to cover so I don't turn away clients Xx

Great advice Abbie, I definitely have friends to rely on and to help me out, some of them are going to finish after me so I thought if I could employ an assistant to help me out doing my current services and etc, obviously she wouldn't be alone I would be there with her but your idea is awesome, were you renting the spaces out ??

Great advice Abbie, I definitely have friends to rely on and to help me out, some of them are going to finish after me so I thought if I could employ an assistant to help me out doing my current services and etc, obviously she wouldn't be alone I would be there with her but your idea is awesome, were you renting the spaces out ??

My plan isn't happening my boyfriend said too much hassle to convert the whole thing 😒 so I haven't planned it properly like rent etc but if it was happening I would think into more detail and sort it properly x

I run a home salon in London doing tanning, and she's just self employed. V easy. Good luck!

I run a home salon in London doing tanning, and she's just self employed. V easy. Good luck!

Thank you nevertootanned, that's a great idea I have a friend that asked me if she could rent out a space when it's all finished, it's so much easier! Xx

Latest posts

Back