Employing staff/goverment help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherylelexa

Reaction score
Hi
I am self employed and have a small salon and am looking to employ someone to help me out during busy times. Is there any incentives/government help that helps a small business in taking on staff? I cant seem to get through to any business help centres locally just thought I would ask here to see if anyone can answer my questions? Many thanks

At the moment, the government will give a grant of around £1500 per year to pay half the wages of a level 1 apprentice on £2.73 an hour if you diddnt want to go down an apprentice route, I heared there are a bank of people on the jobcentre a books that will do volunteer work for free to build experience, I don't know the ins and outs of that tho sorry you'd need to contact jobcentre plus

You have to employ an apprentice and after they have worked 12 weeks their training provider can apply for the grant. It isn't 100% guaranteed though. It takes about 4-6 weeks after that to be paid. I would speak to your local training academies. That's who sorted mine out.

I'm sure you can only get 1 grant per apprentice regardless of how long it takes to complete the training.

Yea you can only get one grant per apprentice and the grant cannot move salons (I had an apprentice come to me from a different salon but the previous one got the grant and it's not transferable after the 12 week period)

Apprentice wage is now £3.30 ph, and you will have to employ them for a minimum of 30 hours per week, until they complete their NVQ.:)

Do apprentices get paid holidays?

Yep.....28 days (includes bank holidays).

Latest posts

Back