Enamel bubbling

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have recently qualified in manicures and pedicures and am doing friends and family at home, however after polishing the nails (hands only) after about 10 - 15 mins the polish starts to get tiny bubbles appear, this happens every time and with all different types and makes of nail polish, I have seeked proffessional advice but no one seems to have any answers, after manicure I always wipe over the nail plate with nail varnish remover to wipe away any oils etc but this still happens, it is so frustrating as I am unable to go out and do this as a profession until I know the solution/posiible causes. Help! please!

I hope this isn't too obvious ....but do you just roll the enamel bottle in your hands to agitate the enamel before applying. Or do you give it a good shake?

Shaking the bottle to agitate the enamel will create loads of bubbles which will then rise to the surface of the enamel once applied like you have described.

Another option could be your varnish remover - does it have conditioners in it? This could be putting oils on to the nail.

I have only ever had this happen to me once with a polish the client brought. It was very thick and I think that the basecoat was not dry enough underneath and I was applying it too thick and not allowing the previous layers to dry.

Try using a nail prep product rather than a varnish remover.

this was happening to me and the other girls where i work. then, for whatever reason, we got a different varnish remover and the bubbles never appeared again!

I hope this isn't too obvious ....but do you just roll the enamel bottle in your hands to agitate the enamel before applying. Or do you give it a good shake?

Shaking the bottle to agitate the enamel will create loads of bubbles which will then rise to the surface of the enamel once applied like you have described.

No I only roll the bottle gently.

Another option could be your varnish remover - does it have conditioners in it? This could be putting oils on to the nail.

I have only ever had this happen to me once with a polish the client brought. It was very thick and I think that the basecoat was not dry enough underneath and I was applying it too thick and not allowing the previous layers to dry.

Try using a nail prep product rather than a varnish remover.

My only wonder is why it happens only on fingers and not on toes, could you suggest a nail prep that I could use?

this was happening to me and the other girls where i work. then, for whatever reason, we got a different varnish remover and the bubbles never appeared again!

Thanks Jojo at least I know it is more common no one seems to have heard of it happenning, I will try changing, any suggestions?

My only wonder is why it happens only on fingers and not on toes, could you suggest a nail prep that I could use?

Does your product system not have a nail prep which dehydrates the nail before applying product.

The one I use is Creative's Scrubfresh.

I had this happen to my nails (painted by someone else) when I went to complain about the bubbles she told me there was nothing she could do as it was the sun outside causeing this:irked::irked::irked:

sounds to me like something is left on the nail after prep...x

I had this happen to me a couple of times. we were putting polish quick dry drops on too soon after the polish was applied and to close.

For cleaning the nail plate alot of polish removers add oils to the produst to compensate for the drying out it is preffered to use acetone but even better a prep from a nail enhancement line. OPI also makes bond aid wich is a nail dehydrater pH balancer

Thanks Jojo at least I know it is more common no one seems to have heard of it happenning, I will try changing, any suggestions?

OPI non acetone varnish remover was the one we switched to, and not had any problems since. Also use chip skip which slightly dehydrates nails.

I would suggest to drop the nailpolish remover after your manicure and use the naildehydrator of the system that you use instead. I use scrubfresh aswell. I dehydrate the nail and buff it slightly *don,t buf it to a shiney finish* it mattens the nail slightley which helps the nailpolish to adhere better aswell. Then i go over the nails again with scrubfresh to remove small dust particles that i created by using the buffer + to remove any oils that i or the customer could have reapplied by touching her nails during this proces. Then i just use a basecoat, two layers of polish and a topcoat for a glossy finish.

Hope this could be of any help what so ever. :wink2:

Latest posts

Back