Enamel staining nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoebe_cat

Reaction score
Just wondering...... Are some peoples nails more porous than others?

Reason I ask, I have a fair few clients who just have natural nails and have a regular re-polish. One of them has dark colour after dark colour, reds, purples, browns etc. When I remove the enamel, her nails are still perfect colour, free edge lovely and white. Then we come to me.!.! I can't wear a dark colour at all at the min as it stains my nails so bad and nothing, but nothing will lift the stain, it literally has to grow out. I follow the same steps for me as my clients and I'm the only one having this problem :mad:

Any thoughts?

i had a client once, who had stained nails, she insisted she used base coat etc and i thought maybe she hadnt, but when i saw her 2 weeks later after i'd done her nails, the dark brown had left a definite stain on her nails, she wanted a light colour but couldnt because of the discolouration, she ended up leaving polish off to grow out, and i havent seen her for ages,

always wondered what it was, if you find out let us know please hun

xxxxx

Anyone?!?!? See, there's now 2 of us baffled, lol :green:

I think in your case lisa it is probably down to the amount of chemicals that our nails come into contact with everyday while working on others nails that cause them to be more porous,
in the clients case she probably had an obsession with bleach and cleaning, i have a client like this and her nails stain from the slightest of colour,
i could be wrong, this is just my take on it all :hug:

A base coat does not protect the nails from stains it is used to give a sticky layer for the enamel to grab hold of and helps it to last longer hth

My toe nails stain - fingernails do not. so that rules out the chemical theory.

toe nails have to grow out, I have found a base coat that does stop the staining, its a milky colour and goes on leaving ur nails looking a little milky as well, they dont stain when I use this base coat.

I use Jessica products and they sell a product called Nail Whitener, this is the description below, hope it helps xx :hug:

Dull, yellow nails are caused by use of medication, astringents, consistent use of dark polishes or the improper care of nails. By adding a coat of Jessica’s NAIL WHITENER to any manicure regiment, women no longer need to feel embarrassed about their lackluster hands or feet and will allow polish colors to be show through more dazzling and vibrant than before.
Jessica’s NAIL WHITENER is a product that acts as a primer helping enhance the nail bed by smoothing out the surface and whitening dry nails. The superior originality behind Jessica’s NAIL WHITENER is the active formula Biostructurer that aids in not only smoothing the keratin surface of the entire nail from bed to tip, but also conceals the lifeless yellow tint and dreary tone that makes hands appear lifeless.

I have found a base coat that does stop the staining, its a milky colour and goes on leaving ur nails looking a little milky as well, they dont stain when I use this base coat.

Come on then, share your secret product, lol :green:

but also conceals the lifeless yellow tint and dreary tone that makes hands appear lifeless.

This one sounds more like it is covering up the yellow that is already there, rather than preventing it. Thanks though hun!

Stained yellow nails caused by enamel are usually the direct result of using colored enamel without a basecoat applied first. The fast dry colored enamels are the biggest culprits because they contain formeldyhyde which turns the nails yellow. I'm sure this is only happening to your clients when they polish their own nails at home because we as professionals always apply a base coat, and I'm not sure, but I don't think any of the professional enamels contain formeldyhyde (know I am spelling it wrong). Maybe some clients need two coats of base, that's an interesting thought as I never condisdered it. I suppose people's nails are all different porosities just like our hair, or paint on a wall. :green:

Stained yellow nails caused by enamel are usually the direct result of using colored enamel without a basecoat applied first. The fast dry colored enamels are the biggest culprits because they contain formeldyhyde which turns the nails yellow. I'm sure this is only happening to your clients when they polish their own nails at home because we as professionals always apply a base coat, and I'm not sure, but I don't think any of the professional enamels contain formeldyhyde (know I am spelling it wrong). Maybe some clients need two coats of base, that's an interesting thought as I never condisdered it. I suppose people's nails are all different porosities just like our hair, or paint on a wall. :green:

Always use a basecoat, and only professional products. It's not actually happening to any of my clients, only little old me, so I'm really starting to think I've got super porous nails, lol!

well then,you learn something new everyday, i wa taught in college last year that you should always apply basecoat as as well as helping the enamel to 'stay', it is also to prevent staining/ especially from dark colours, i even printed it on my aftercare leaflets , is this wrong then??

Come on then, share your secret product, lol :green:

I dont actually know what brand it is! lol, it comes in a plain bottle (I do know the ingredience thou as I emailed to find out first so I know its got no nastys in it) I get it from one of my local tech sites, and its only $4 a bottle, it kind of masks the nail - so if your nails arnt stained they stay un-stained.. which for me is great because I normally wear bright red metalic polish on my toes lol

This one sounds more like it is covering up the yellow that is already there, rather than preventing it. Thanks though hun!

I agree on second quote there, it reads like it would be similar to a white coat of polish? or one of the ridge filling products, which I affectionately call Nail-Bog lol

Basecoat does not prevent nails from staining. I used to think this and Gigi put me right:)

Oh i was taught that at college also that using a base coat is to help prevent staining as well as for the stickiness factor to help colour stay etc so i too have been told incorrectly then

makes me wonder what else i was tuaght wrong at college then??? me thinks i might get a shock when i start the CND course next week lol, hope everythig ive learnt isnt wrong pmsl

thats what i love about this site, i never would have known this

oh well more expense getting all my leaflets changed etc,

I've been told that the new SpaRitual polish line uses more natural pigmentation in its laquers that are supposed to keep nails from staining. Does anyone know if there is truth to this?

Basecoat does not prevent nails from staining. I used to think this and Gigi put me right:)[/quot
well,well. it true what they say that you learn someting new evryday :lol:.
I've been in the industry 22yrs and allways thought that base coat was applied to prevent staining aswell as being a primer for nail enamel.
fab site by the way:)

Basecoat does not prevent nails from staining. I used to think this and Gigi put me right:)[/quot
well,well. it true what they say that you learn someting new evryday :lol:.
I've been in the industry 22yrs and allways thought that base coat was applied to prevent staining aswell as being a primer for nail enamel.
fab site by the way:)

Welcome to the site del3.

like you i have been taught that base coat acts as a sticky base but also prevents dark polish staining nails. :rolleyes: . Wonder what else is wrong. Don't know what i would do without this site, i have learnt more on here than i did in my course, thanx geeks :hug:

Welcome to the site del3.

like you i have been taught that base coat acts as a sticky base but also prevents dark polish staining nails. :rolleyes: . Wonder what else is wrong. Don't know what i would do without this site, i have learnt more on here than i did in my course, thanx geeks :hug:

thanks and hear hear
:hug:

Latest posts

Back