Enhancement lifting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have been doing nails for a few years on friends, and I am finally licensed this year! Problem is...as much practice as I've gotten, I keep having issues with lifting. Acrylic or hard gel. Gel really doesn't last for more than a few days. Acrylic I can get a good 1.5 weeks to 2 weeks and they're beginning to lift. I make sure there is no non-living tissue on the nail, properly buff and dehydrate the plate, use primer and watch my ratios with the liquid... I've tried 3 different products, and it seems to be me as the main culprit....please help! Any other tips would be greatly appreciated! Btw, I sculpt only. I'm hoping that's not the reason....

If you have the same problem with two different systems, and 3 brands its definitely you. ;) You've potentially caused so many issues I would suggest you go back to basic and return to some training. You may just need a day of 1-2-1 training to iron out some tweeks but i suspect face to face training is what's needed - we can't effectively help you there's to many issues (that should have been covered in your training). Things like different brands have different ratio requirements, different brands have varying prep product needs, if you've been bouncing around among 3 different ones its quite likely things are confused

Hi :) You're right, it's probably not the product's fault, especially if it happens already after a few days. You don't provide us with any photos, so it's very hard to say what it could be. It could be something as simple as product touching the skin, thick product application, incorrect balance of the enhancement, apex in the wrong place for the length and shape, insufficient C-curve, incorrect filing routine, forms not applied correctly according to shape and length since this will vary a lot too. It could be too much primer, incorrect lamp for the system, incorrect ratio for the system, incorrect grit for buffing the nail during prep (some systems require 180, and others 150), and with gel, perhaps you're not scrubbing the base layer into the nail enough, or maybe you're using too many layers when building. It could be so many things that you're doing wrong, that it's best if you ask your educator for some additional lessons, or go to someone else who can provide more lessons. Yes it's expensive, but most of us have taken further training and not just relied on our base course. Good luck and hope you manage to iron out some of your issues. :)

Hi :) You're right, it's probably not the product's fault, especially if it happens already after a few days. You don't provide us with any photos, so it's very hard to say what it could be. It could be something as simple as product touching the skin, thick product application, incorrect balance of the enhancement, apex in the wrong place for the length and shape, insufficient C-curve, incorrect filing routine, forms not applied correctly according to shape and length since this will vary a lot too. It could be too much primer, incorrect lamp for the system, incorrect ratio for the system, incorrect grit for buffing the nail during prep (some systems require 180, and others 150), and with gel, perhaps you're not scrubbing the base layer into the nail enough, or maybe you're using too many layers when building. It could be so many things that you're doing wrong, that it's best if you ask your educator for some additional lessons, or go to someone else who can provide more lessons. Yes it's expensive, but most of us have taken further training and not just relied on our base course. Good luck and hope you manage to iron out some of your issues. :)
The cuticle area is always flush, no product touching the skin either...I may be over priming, and I may not be roughing up the nail enough. It's usually just a nail or two that don't last as long as they should, and it's getting frustrating. I literally just finished school, and just got licensed. But again, I've been doing nails for 4 years now. This issue is a fairely new one, and I can't figure out why now... after school that it's happening. I was hoping to get a few more tips or tricks so I can try something else....

Acrylic
If you have the same problem with two different systems, and 3 brands its definitely you. ;) You've potentially caused so many issues I would suggest you go back to basic and return to some training. You may just need a day of 1-2-1 training to iron out some tweeks but i suspect face to face training is what's needed - we can't effectively help you there's to many issues (that should have been covered in your training). Things like different brands have different ratio requirements, different brands have varying prep product needs, if you've been bouncing around among 3 different ones its quite likely things are confused
I've used each product for a while, I have each one a cool 5-6 months before I tried something else. I pay attention to product instructions as well. It isn't the while see lifting, just 1-2 nails. But that's 1-2 too many. My main issue is gel more than acrylic. I probably need more practice with that. My acrylic nails are properly balanced with a nice apex where the stress area is, depending on length and shape. I may be over priming my acrylic nails and maybe not roughing up the nail enough? I can try and find a good picture of my work, but I typical don't have any side view photos, so that you can see the full structure of the nail!

I'm also thinking possible contamination of my brush, I have a bad habit of not working the brush well. Gel... I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be. I do intend on taking workshops to better my skills when I can afford it. But I still have clients, and I still need to work until then. Sorry if I seem irate, I just don't know what else to do at this point...

Acrylic

I've used each product for a while, I have each one a cool 5-6 months before I tried something else. I pay attention to product instructions as well. It isn't the while see lifting, just 1-2 nails. But that's 1-2 too many. My main issue is gel more than acrylic. I probably need more practice with that. My acrylic nails are properly balanced with a nice apex where the stress area is, depending on length and shape. I may be over priming my acrylic nails and maybe not roughing up the nail enough? I can try and find a good picture of my work, but I typical don't have any side view photos, so that you can see the full structure of the nail!
*whole set

I'm also thinking possible contamination of my brush, I have a bad habit of not working the brush well. Gel... I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be. I do intend on taking workshops to better my skills when I can afford it. But I still have clients, and I still need to work until then. Sorry if I seem irate, I just don't know what else to do at this point...
*wiping

Could it be something like you've got a new nail cleanser since you did your studies? Odd that you didn't have any problem before...

Could it be something like you've got a new nail cleanser since you did your studies? Odd that you didn't have any problem before...
Yes all my products are new and different from what I was using before...when I first started doing nails I had issues of course, then I got better, changed to another acrylic product line, and really had no issues. Got to school and started using CND....started having all kinds of lifting issues. Normally just 1-2 nails within a week and a half. But with almost every client.

Yes all my products are new and different from what I was using before...when I first started doing nails I had issues of course, then I got better, changed to another acrylic product line, and really had no issues. Got to school and started using CND....started having all kinds of lifting issues. Normally just 1-2 nails within a week and a half. But with almost every client.

I used to use CND Brisa before, perhaps we could run through your process and see. :) Can you please confirm your steps for when you sculpt with Brisa gel?

I used to use CND Brisa before, perhaps we could run through your process and see. :) Can you please confirm your steps for when you sculpt with Brisa gel?
Sanitize mine and clients hands
Scrub fresh with no lint wipes or CND offly fast if polish is present
Shape/file free edge
Cuticle remover to push back cuticle and remove non living tissue on plate
Spritz of water and manicure brush to dust of debris and deactivate remover (CND educator taught us this)
Buff/etch nail
Scrub fresh and no lint wipe to cleanse
Apply bonder sparingly
Apply forms
Sculpt starting zone one with medium size gel bead (Free edge)
Apex bead
Cuticle bead
Cure in CND lamp 2B option

As far as the CND low odor , I use primer unlike retention, same prep.

Also! I did notice I get longer wear when I truly clean and take care of my acrylic brush. I think I'm having contamination issues. When I get brand new product, everything is great.

Thanks for everyone's help BTW! I am taking notes and paying attention to my process to make sure my prep is done correctly and everything is clean!

If this has only started since changing brands then maybe go back to previous brands.

I did my course and once qualified I decided to do training with the brand of my choice NSI.
At college we used NSI which I loved but the college werent there to educate about different brands, that was just their product of choice.
I started to get some lifting.
After college I did one on one training with an NSI educator and after getting better educated by her I realised I was missing an important step, not using NSI nail pure plus...... college was getting us to use something different.
Once I started using it my problems were solved.

Most brand educators want your money.
Therefore working one on one with them can be a huge benefit to you. They want to sell their product so therefore they should help you problem solve.
Yes it will mean more education and monetary outlay but where I am there are very few great techs who have not invested in further training since their basic course.

Good luck with your journey.

Last edited:
If this has only started since changing brands then maybe go back to previous brands.

I did my course and once qualified I decided to do training with the brand of my choice NSI.
At college we used NSI which I loved but the college werent their to educate about different brands, that was just their product of choice.
I started to get some lifting.
After getting better educated by a NSI educator I realised I was missing an important step, not using NSI nail pure plus...... college was getting us to use something different.
Once I started using it my problems were solved.

Most brand educators want your money.
Therefore working one on one with them can be a huge benefit to you. They want to sell their product so therefore they should help you problem solve.
Yes it will mean more education and monetary outkay but where I am there are very few great techs who have not invested in further training since their basic course.

Good luck with your journey.
Hello there! Just have to say, I'm a big fan of your YouTube channel! I whole heartedly agree with furthering my training, learning never stops! Right now I cannot afford it. But I want to get better with hard gel nails. My school only used CND products, so we often met with brand ambassador/educators to break down the product use. I think I will stick to what I'm used to for now until I'm fully confident knowing I can proficiently use others. Again thank you for your input. I'll probably post an update to my other sets!

Yes this industry is a costly one, esp if you want to stay on top of the game.

Best wishes x

Latest posts

Back