Enhancements to Manicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SthrnComfort

Reaction score
Hello All :)

I'm am wondering what other nail tech's aims are for a long term client who receives nail enhancements, as I have read the odd post in the past.

Is it your aim to have someone with short nails to grow their natural nails to a nice lengh and then 'convert' them to having manicures?

Or do you just intend to keep on doing rebalance after rebalance.

Be nice to see what your views are....

Good question!!

I think it would probably depend on what the clients want. I have a client who started off as a severe nail biter and all she wants is to one day have her 'own' nails to show off. So we're using acrylics to a)get her own nails to a length she's happy with and b)to help her break to nibbling habit.

Once she feels confident that the habit is briken we're going to remove the acrylic and go to manicures. Although I doubt very much that she will continue will regular manis so I will have lost a client.

However she has done so well that she has already brought me at least 4 new clients so as long as she goes away a happy client thats fine!

I have a client who was a bad nail biter, she even had the bulbous looking skin at the tips of fingers...now a few months later her nails are a good length but still getting reblances....

but I am wondering what the strength will be like if I remove all product....will they be flimsy and just break and be back at square one?

Not sure to be honest, perhaps another more experienced tech could answer that. But my biter lost a nail a few weeks ago and her natural nail underneath was lovely, about 2mm free edge and was lovely and strong. It was then that she really wanted to lose the acrylic but I just asked her if she was confident that she wouldn't bite and she wasn't so we're carrying on for now.

I have a client who was a bad nail biter, she even had the bulbous looking skin at the tips of fingers...now a few months later her nails are a good length but still getting reblances....

but I am wondering what the strength will be like if I remove all product....will they be flimsy and just break and be back at square one?
I have had several nail biter clients who's aim it was,was to grow them then have the enhancements removed,tbh most clients nails will feel soft when enhancements are removed.

I usually remove product then even if the nails are long underneath I will advise that we take the length down,I explain that this will make them more manageable,bearing in mind they are thinner than the enhancement and the client is used to biting them.Once they are manicured they look lovely and some but not all have steared away from the nail biting scenario.It is important that there aren't any raggedy bits or over thin bits left or much length IMO because this will start them picking and that's when they are back to square one with the nail biting.

Most are absolutely delighted that their nails are actually their own,especially the ones who had the bulbous bit on the end and have never had their own nails.

I think it depends on what people do for a living and things. I have very strong nails but typing on a computer all day and lifing car parts often leads to breaks meaning I have to shorten all the nails to match. When I have enhancements on they are much stronger but if I was to have an accident and break one I can repair it x x

Nail biters who break the habbit by wearing enhancements and moving on to Natural nails once they have enough of their own growth... I have found that if they break their "new" natural nails, they tend to suffer a relapse back into bitting, or picking or cutting or worse... 90% of my biters keep up the enhancements.

The strength of her nails won't be any different to what they were before you applied the product providing you haven't overfiled her natural nail.
When enhancements are first removed the nails feel flimsy and weak, but you have to remember that they've been protected by the overlay and when the armour is removed they don't feel as strong.

That reminds me, I must update the gallery on my site!

If you have a peek, you will see my pic of a nail biter I did a custom blend on. We're about 9 months down the line and she is now a natural nail care client!!!

I must admit, I had very little faith (shame on me!) I think one of the things in her case was that, she was really good about her rebalances. She was every 10 days on the dot. Therefore she never had a broken enhancement (which were kept fairly short). So over time her hyponichium moved up to a more natural level. When we did take of the L&P she only had about 2mm of free edge, but this was about 8mm longer than before!!!

Because the free edge was so short the chance of breaking and then nibbling to make them all match was reduced. She is also very good with her SolarOil and has kept up her appointments for manicures religiously!

The pride on her face when she says "these are my real nails" is fab!

I have lost around £4 every 10 days by switching her to manicures instead of rebalances, but she is one of my best sources of business! When people comment on her nails she always says "I've bitten them all my life! Have a look at this website (gives them my card) the chronic nail biter? That was me 9 months ago!"

Some will stay faithfull, some will drift off, but those that don't come for their regular manicures, you can bet will come back for a new full set, cos they've fell into old patterns! :green:

If you have a peek, you will see my pic of a nail biter I did a custom blend on. We're about 9 months down the line and she is now a natural nail care client!!!

Hi, ive just a look in your gallery and cant see the pic your meaning.

Latest posts

Back