Enhancements too thin?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*sarah*

Pmu Geek
Reaction score
Help! I had a client in on Saturday and she left a message on sunday saying she had broken 7 of them! As I've been getting more experienced my nails have become thinner and now look really natural but they seem to be breaking really easily! I'm worried that its something I'm doing wrong, should I make them thicker again? Dont seem to have much of an apex but the clients like them flatter don't know what to to! Aslo the client who broke 7 is away on holiday and is mad, and dont know what to say when she comes back

Thanks xx

Your nails can still be thin but need to have enough product across the stress area for them to last.

Did the lady who has broken 7 say at which part of the nail they have broken? ie; free edge, across the middle?

You need the apex they shouldn't be FLAT....they can be thin but sounds like your blending the wrong places too much hun they need to be the thickness of a credit card so blend zone 1 and 3 more than 2 so that you get a nice arch in the nail that way they won't keep breaking hun!!

She spoke to the salon not to me, so not sure where they broke, I do my friends and hers are breaking between zone 1 and 2 so I think my apex is a bit rubbish, think I need to go over the tutorials again I seem to get better in one area then rubbish in another, its frustrating! Think maybe I had gone a little thin but mostly they are about credit card thickness, I was thinking about changing to radical liquidand ultra powder to see if that made a diffence

what are you using at the minuite, evenif you do change hun thats not going to make them stronger as you NEED your apex, do you find you are filing the product alot to get the shape you want?

I hardly need to do any filling now compared to what I used to do, but I think i'm actually placing my zone two bead in the wrong place, I've been placing in right on the smile line think I need to move it up a bit higher? I use retention plus and perfect powders from creative x

They are the products i use hun and i think they are brilliant yeah i think its the application.

Now please don't take this the wrong way.

It is very difficult when you are on your own as you don't have another tech to bounce off of in the salon for advise so if it were me i would go and have a 1-1 just to sort it out bad habbits are so easy to pick but i'm sure there are tuturials on here also that will be helpful babe, i know its frustrating we have all been there.

HTH :hug:

I hardly need to do any filling now compared to what I used to do, but I think i'm actually placing my zone two bead in the wrong place, I've been placing in right on the smile line think I need to move it up a bit higher? I use retention plus and perfect powders from creative x

as a general rule, the apex needs to be in the centre of the nail.
if you divide it in half lengthways and widthways [in your mind] where the 2 lines cross should be the highest point of the nail.

if you have a good apex, you can keep the tip area nice and thin:)

as a general rule, the apex needs to be in the centre of the nail.
if you divide it in half lengthways and widthways [in your mind] where the 2 lines cross should be the highest point of the nail.

if you have a good apex, you can keep the tip area nice and thin:)

i have problems with this as well, not so much with them breaking as i think they're still too thick for that! but i've always had problems placing my apex in all systems.

however, i was told in my training the apex should be level with the corners of the smile line (if that makes sense?!) so is it that, or the centre of the nail? xx

i have problems with this as well, not so much with them breaking as i think they're still too thick for that! but i've always had problems placing my apex in all systems.

however, i was told in my training the apex should be level with the corners of the smile line (if that makes sense?!) so is it that, or the centre of the nail? xx

depends how deep your smile line is.

if you only do a shallow smile, then it wont work.

If you push down on the free edge you will see that the nail bed turns white under the nail. This is where your stress zone should be. Breakages can be caused by having too thin an apex and it sounds like yours is. They can also be caused by having the nails too long - or a culmination of both.

I tend to work thin too, and advise clients that if they have a problem then call me as everyone is different and sometimes it's just a case of tweaking a bit here and there to get them right for the individual. (I know your client went on hols so you couldn't have done anything in this case anyway) A good consultation will give you some idea, but not always - how many times have I heard people say things like "oh will I still be able to look after my 7 horses with these?" just when I've finished! Now you tell me!!!!

It's difficult to learn how thick/thin the nails should be. Of course, they look nicer the thinner, but they are not nice if they break! ;) I use to make the nails a little bit thicker at the stress-area the first time, then, when they get used to having the nails, I work them thinner and thinner. For me, it works!

C.

If you push down on the free edge you will see that the nail bed turns white under the nail. This is where your stress zone should be. Breakages can be caused by having too thin an apex and it sounds like yours is. They can also be caused by having the nails too long - or a culmination of both.

I tend to work thin too, and advise clients that if they have a problem then call me as everyone is different and sometimes it's just a case of tweaking a bit here and there to get them right for the individual. (I know your client went on hols so you couldn't have done anything in this case anyway) A good consultation will give you some idea, but not always - how many times have I heard people say things like "oh will I still be able to look after my 7 horses with these?" just when I've finished! Now you tell me!!!!
That's what I was going say. The stress area can vary on different people.

It is not just bead placement that is important in zone 2....but Brush angles.

Have a read over this tutorial Sarah......as you could be holding your brush at the wrong angle and losing your apex that way...if your brush is held up to high it just moves the product away from where you want it....http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/8748-brush-control-part-2-getting-angles.html?garpg=2

Now I come to think of it, it probably is my brush angle (I was always getting watch your brush angle in class!) going to do a new set on my self tommorrow and I'll try and get this right! thing is I hardly ever seem to break my own nails and I'm not the most careful person ! x

Latest posts

Back